Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of picking up another 4GB set of Kingston for my build. I remember reading some stuff about using all 4 DIMM slots stressing the IMC and causing instability with OCing.

Could anyone shed some light on this? If it's gonna wreck my OC I might as well wait until I can snag a DDR3 motherboard and 2 4GB sticks of RAM, considering DDR2 RAM is the same price.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
well generally running all dimms in order to et the same clocks, SOMETIMES, you may need looser timings or higher voltage.

Really depends though< ive seen motherboards not give a damn,a nd Ive seen ram not give a damn lol just get a kit that has ability to go higher than you need, and have very tight timings when lower. Becaus ethen you just set it so9mewhere in the middle and forget it

·
Registered
371 Posts
most ppl I know get harder to oc when they use more ram, because they said tho the memory is same in brand and configuration but the mobo need to access more memory which need more time and and power and that is more factor to cause instability.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by R00ST3R
View Post

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you really need 8GB's of RAM?

I agree that 8G is not necessary unless you use programs like Cad or video encoding/editing. Ask yourself if you really need 8G..... Usually you will lose a few hundred MHz on overclock due to the additional stress on IMC.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
I have 8gb of RAM, occupying my mobo's 4 slots. No change in OC stability. Stable as ever. Only thing I needed to do was bump the NB voltage to 1.24v (from 1.2v), just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicProne View Post
I have 8gb of RAM, occupying my mobo's 4 slots. No change in OC stability. Stable as ever. Only thing I needed to do was bump the NB voltage to 1.24v (from 1.2v), just to be on the safe side.
Yes but you have a Intel CPU.
Your in the AMD section. AM2 and AM2+ MBs are limited to 4GB = 2 slots. AM3 MB and CPU = 8GB.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know how much bearing a video card has on PCMark04, but our systems are similar otherwise. Another difference is my 3.4 cpu has a Prescott core w/ 1Mb of L2 cache while your 3.4 has a Northwood core w/ 512Kb of L2. I scored 5460 at 3.4GHz so your score seems a little low.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drdeath
View Post

I agree that 8G is not necessary unless you use programs like Cad or video encoding/editing. Ask yourself if you really need 8G..... Usually you will lose a few hundred MHz on overclock due to the additional stress on IMC.

8GB is very handy for photographers too, who need to auto-stitch pictures and combined images for HDR output.
I noticed a huge decrease in processing time when I added the other 4GB.
yay!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts