Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scientists have been able to use nanobots to inject RNA blocking drugs into cancer cells. "Initial testing on patients with Melanoma have shown that the nanobots found their way into the tumors and delivered the RNA blocking substance as planned."

http://www.efitnessnow.com/news/2010...through-blood/

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Holy crap!

Quote:
The nanobots actually attack the cancer by performing gene therapy and turning off the cancer growing gene in the tumor.
Nanobots performing gene therapy? The discovery of cancer-growing genes (this one I'm more inclined to believe, but still...)? Am I that out of touch, or is this perhaps a little exaggerated?

Edit: it's been cleared up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

Holy crap!

Nanobots performing gene therapy? The discovery of cancer-growing genes (this one I'm more inclined to believe, but still...)? Am I that out of touch, or is this perhaps a little exaggerated?

You didn't know that they have known about specific cancerous genes? If I remember correctly from AP Bio the P51 gene is responsible for the production of a protein that lyses the cell if out of control replication is detected. A mutation in that gene can cause unchecked cell growth.

That is just one of many ways in which cancer can develop. Almost all of which stemming from a genetic defect.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

Holy crap!

No, you're misunderstanding. They use gene therapy to basically destroy the cancer cells ability to reproduce itself, thus no more cancer growth.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Actually, after doing some reading, what I was misunderstanding was their usage of the phrase 'gene therapy' to mean 'blocking the activation of a gene' instead of 'replacing one gene with another', which is what I had thought it meant.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1ForFrags
View Post

If they can use these nanobots to deliver drugs into the cancerous cells, why can't they just destroy the cells...?

That is effectively destroying the cells. If RNA is not transcribed it cannot be translated into a protein by the ribosomes and the cell cannot function or multiply and will die.

·
Senior Overclocker
4,998 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nascasho
View Post

This reminds me of "I Am Legend" for some reason...

just imagine!

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are a lot of genes involved in cancerous cell growth, one of the most popular is the P53 gene. The protein produced by this gene is responsible for regulating the cell reproduction cycle. If the gene has a mutation that results in the protein that is produced being sufficiently different so as to not be able to carry out its function the cell reproduction cycle continues unchecked. The RNA therapy most likely utilizes RNA interference where they introduce double stranded RNA strands into the cells and the cells are able to develop a means to identify and destroy the cancerous RNA.

Molecular Biology Major
UWI Mona.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I totally see the scientists rubbing their hands and saying "Keikaku doori-da!"

Ayway this is one step mroe towards Ghost in the shell and immortal bodies.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

Let's test it on one of my cats...

Your cat has cancer? I am sorry to hear that...

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoMan
View Post

Your cat has cancer? I am sorry to hear that...

Yeah, lung cancer. He's so far gone the vet only filled a scrip for some 'roids to keep pain/swelling down around the tumors. 10 days worth. She said a month, but judging by the amount of pills she gave us I'm thinking that's optimistic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts