Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MS man explains why it's hard to police homophobia on Live

Quote:

Xbox Live policy manager Stephen Toulouse has offered further of explanation of why the word "gay" can't be used in gamertags or profiles.

Eurogamer contacted Toulouse to ask why Microsoft doesn't just allow the use of the word, and take action against those who use it pejoratively - as it takes action, for example, against those who use racist language.

Source

Dont kill the messenger...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TL;DR

Sexual preference/content/discussion is unnecessary in online gaming. No more debate, stop being butthurt and get back to having fun.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My best friend is gay, and I'm totally for gay marriage, and gay adoption, but I HATE, and even my friend HATES, when gay people are so in your face about their sexuality. So what your gay? Get over it...

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarton
View Post

TL;DR

Sexual preference/content/discussion is unnecessary in online gaming. No more debate, stop being butthurt and get back to having fun.

If it's too long and you didnt read, why even bother posting in the first place?

MS pretty much said what I already thought about the whole "MS takes anti-gay stance." Its not that they are persecuting homosexuals, but rather simply not allowing people yo use the word "gay" because it's also an insult as well as a declaration.

IMO people need to stop caring. Just let them be happy. Its not like they're invading your life or anything.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
I think MS wins. Regardless if you are gay or not, gay is still widely used as an insult and MS can't babysit everyone and do a thorough investigation every time someone uses the word gay.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I think Microsoft explanation was decent, I mean I can understand what they are saying it is a lot harder to determine, but regardless they should still have a better solution than just removing the word all together.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Korben
View Post

I think Microsoft explanation was decent, I mean I can understand what they are saying it is a lot harder to determine, but regardless they should still have a better solution than just removing the word all together.

Agreed

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
you know that 99.9999999999% of the time it was used as an insult....good job MS,gives me hope that xbox live will get cleaned up one day....

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Might as well try to clean up xbox live of 13 year olds....not going to happen since thats ms major purchasing base.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadSkull
View Post

Might as well try to clean up xbox live of 13 year olds....not going to happen since thats ms major purchasing base.

consoles in general.

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Sexual Orientation, Political Beliefes, Race, Religious, and Abortion Stace have no place in an online gaming community like XBL. End of discussion.

·
Banned
4,340 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz View Post
Sexual Orientation, Political Beliefes, Race, Religious, and Abortion Stace have no place in an online gaming community like XBL. End of discussion.
What are you talking about? Online is where it thrives. Hey, at least people are honest about their likes and dislikes when they're gaming online.

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SerenityKill3r
View Post

My best friend is gay, and I'm totally for gay marriage, and gay adoption, but I HATE, and even my friend HATES, when gay people are so in your face about their sexuality. So what your gay? Get over it...

this. (apart from the adoption... please think of the children)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I get how it's hard to police them. I mean you can respond to reports and break out the banhammer, but what about the constant abuse and smack talk on Halo? People say their kids shouldn't be exposed to someone identifying their orientation, You could hear far far worse on XBL within 3mins of joining a game. EDIT: I agree with above folks, this can't really be enforced or changed.

Anyway - Yes it's hard to police. MS tries to skew the argument in their favour by talking about potentially offensive gamertags. But when you include a bio section - what do you expect to be put in them?

Perhaps this 'ways to allow customers to express themselves in ways that cannot be misused" that Mr. Toulouse is trying to develop can just be a drop down box in the bio section. Keep it simple like heterosexual/homosexual/other/Blank. There you go, fixed it - now go ban folks who violate your TOS by talking about more unsavoury topics in their bios, or make it friend-only viewing.
If someone's using it insultingly, it's easier to identify, as your sexual orientation drop down box won't let you put;" Killing gay ***s ", or "Chris is gay".

There's a user Mistalarge, whose comments on eurogamer pretty much sum up the random OT discussion, I'm not going to quote it here because it'll drag this more OT (along with gay marriage/rights issues).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape
View Post

this. (apart from the adoption... please think of the children)

I don't see anything wrong with children receiving parents that go far out of their own way in order to love another. The parents will typically be much more accepting about the child, as to their aspirations or hobbies. Thus, the children become more open minded about their own possibilities of happiness. I certainly wouldn't mind parents like that.

You know, the "in your face" gay thing that is constantly referenced on here, is getting annoying. If you listen in on a conversation of heterosexual males, 80-90% of the time they talk about girls (online in games or in real life). They automatically assume that if they meet another person, they want to hear about girls. Gay people are just reminding you that you're being an as-hat, and maybe that shouldn't be the unspoken norm.

ALSO: Another annoying thing that people do in reference to homosexuals, is they make the assertion that they are "checking them out". Gay people don't jump everyone's bones. They don't just settle for anyone. You're not that attractive.

/rant

·
Registered
Phenom 940X @ 3.1 Ghz
3,276 Posts
How about some free speech, and yes even HATE speech in our lives'.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SerenityKill3r
View Post

/high_five...except the best friend being gay part. (I have multiple friends, though.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadringerr
View Post

You know, the "in your face" gay thing that is constantly referenced on here, is getting annoying. If you listen in on a conversation of heterosexual males, 80-90% of the time they talk about girls (online in games or in real life). They automatically assume that if they meet another person, they want to hear about girls. Gay people are just reminding you that you're being an as-hat, and maybe that shouldn't be the unspoken norm.

Meh, I don't think that's exactly the case. Some guys, sure...but to be honest, that got old in high school... Not saying that most mature guys don't talk about it...but it doesn't take up 80-90% of the convo, and there's the fact that you're talking about something you all share.

·
Registered
948 Posts
hehe, say it with me now, stay on topic..stay on topic...stay on topic...

It's hard to draw a line if you're operating across states/national borders in these times. Anything you do it going to offend someone, and words can mean different things to different people.

What would I do. Give the bio section to a series of drop down boxes; age/sexual orientation/favourite musical genre etc - that way there's no wrong answer. If you're going to let people write whatever they want, it's going to end with people getting offended (not discussing whether putting 'gay' into your profile is or isn't justified).

It's a tightrope to walk, yet I find it strange that MS gets all this attention - I'm pretty sure you could find far more inflammatory content in some Facebook Groups or on Myspace quite easily.

Alternatively, take a different approach and let them post whatever they feel like, with a fewer number of strict exceptions. But then what do you class as offensive and what as safe?

Make it friend-only profile pages and the problems all but gone.

Of course; offensive gamertags and handles should get taken care of; you don't need to go around being called B*tchFocker for any reason. And if someone had an embarrassing name like Linda Swallows, you get enough hassle going through school without throwing it up onto XBL as well.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.