1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7ZaW0a8.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/04/msi-ag2712-gaming-all-in-one-PC-hands-on/
Quote:
On the inside, it runs a mobile Core i7 processor -- Ivy Bridge for now, though a company rep staffing the event here didn't rule out a Haswell refresh later on. For graphics, you've got NVIDIA's 670MX, a laptop-grade GPU announced back in October. As it happens, it's actually standard for all-in-one PCs to pack mobile components. The difference here, though, is that this was built for gamers, and the AG2712 is also kinda thick 'round back, which defeats the purpose of building a desktop with mobile bits in the first place.

On a cheerier note, we appreciate the 27-inch, 1080p touchscreen, which will be offered with a wide-angle matte finish, as pictured above.
I wonder what the price is?
thinking.gif

·
Registered
53 Posts
They should make all in ones with desktop hardware. I don't think it would be that hard to fit, parallel the motherboard with a dual slot video card and let it suck in ambient air. It may be a little thicker but not too bad. Newer CPUs are good enough you could still use a laptop type cooler on them an run reasonable temps but then you'd have 2 times the power for half the cost.

Makes sense to me

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampy60 View Post

They should make all in ones with desktop hardware. I don't think it would be that hard to fit, parallel the motherboard with a dual slot video card and let it suck in ambient air. It may be a little thicker but not too bad. Newer CPUs are good enough you could still use a laptop type cooler on them an run reasonable temps but then you'd have 2 times the power for half the cost.

Makes sense to me
This. I've wondered about this for a while. We've seen people build custom rigs like this and make it work. Give us more bang for our buck, please.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealio View Post

all in one gaming desktop made out mobile components. wat the wat.
Well the mobile i7's are not that much slower than the desktop counterparts (Faster than Nehalem, slightly slower than Sandy Bridge), and the GTX 670MX is only 12% slower than a desktop GTX 560 Ti.

Both consuming much less power than the desktop variants, and in a smaller, space saving package.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealio View Post

all in one gaming desktop made out mobile components. wat the wat.
All AIO desktops, including iMacs and most HP, Dell, Lenovo and Asus models I'm familiar with, use a mobile GPU and usually a low voltage "S" intel i5 or i7. Nothing new here.

I have to say that from my experience with a Dell Aspire 23" with touch screen, you will only use it to hand paint on a kid-oriented paint app, and to show of to your friends / or parents.
It is cumbersome and imprecise on a 23", and I guess even worse on a 27".

Specs are fine for the casual gamer - tho the 27" @ 1080p is a nono for me...the pixel pitch is too big and noticeable at regular viewing distances.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Essentially what they've done, is build a 27 inch gaming tablet.

·
Overclocked by Jesus
4,759 Posts
If the price is right, that is a decent setup. Mobile parts are really quite powerful and definitely the i7 CPU is good enough for the most demanding games. The only limiting factor on this thing will be the GPU, which just means you have to turn the nicest details a tad down. Mobile technology has come a long way.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I never quite understood AIO desktops lol....

Might as well get a laptop then plug it to a monitor . _ .

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMica View Post

I never quite understood AIO desktops lol....

Might as well get a laptop then plug it to a monitor . _ .
Really? They're space saving, compact, usually touch screen, aesthetically pleasing, etc. Lots of reason why people would rather have an AIO than a tower.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Never understood the point of AIO aside from looks. Meh

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The specs seem decent; if the price is somewhat lower than an iMac's price, then it'll be excellent.

·
Premium Member
11,389 Posts
better it's mobile. People who need better horsepower know not to get these. Your average consumer doesn't need to have a leaf-blower right infront of their faces. My 670 FTW is pretty silent, but it'd be extremely noticeable/audible if I put it right in front of my eyes

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampy60 View Post

Makes sense to me
The trouble is in power supply and delivery. Flex cables and smart compartmentalizing make it easy to hook up decent graphics cards such that they can intake/exhaust air in efficient ways, and clever use of heat sinks and slim fans can even allow higher-end CPU usage, all while keeping the form factor fairly slim (< 50mm). The issue is how do you power it all. I'm not sure it's as easy as tearing down and rearranging the layout of an ATX power supply.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.