Overclock.net banner

ehpexs' 2560x1440 Eyefinity Rig

3114 Views 24 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  ehpexs
I started out buying all the parts listed below, upgrading from my 2500k rig. It is slowly progressing, It's been running since the beginning of this year and will only continue to get better over time.

In November I bought the bulk of the computer of the components, a $55 Fractal Arc Midi, a $100 Corsair HX750 PSU, a $94 Z77 FTW, an $85 3770k, and 16GB of Samsung 30nm ram for $75. Lastly I bought a Zalman NH-D14 copy for $25. I ended up throwing that piece of garbage out and using my old Noctua NH-D14

Total cost of this starter Rig was around $700.

In February I bought three Crossover 2560x1440 displays (which should ran about $1200 for the three), and another 7950 to be able to at least play games on high. The next plans are water cooling for the rig. Either before of after that these 7950s will be upgraded to next amd or nvidia parts dependent on price. SSDs and other items are not planned in the foreseeable future.

I update this as I go along

Starter parts that went into the Rig
3770k @4.3 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14
16GB Samsung Green (mine didn't overclock well D:)
EVGA Z77 FTW
MSI reference 7950
Intel 320 160GB
WD 2TB Black
Corsair HX 750 Gold
Fractal Arc Midi

Past Upgrade
3x Crossover 2560x1440 Monitors

Next Upgrade:
Powercolor 7950 (being shipped as we speak)

Next Planned Upgrade:
Water cooling with Pyobia Supernova sized rad

Upgrades 1+ year away
2x 512 GB+ ssds
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehpexs View Post

Well after doing some measuring it looks like I'm gonna have to wait until we move into a larger place. It's not a question of money so much as it is space.

So my question for the mean time is directed towards my GPU.

Is one 7950 fine to run this resolution or should I go crossfire?
If you plan to game on that resolution, I'd recommend you getting 2x 4GB 670s or 7970s. At least 4GB, you need that. I have a 3x 1440p set up as well (although they don't work right now because my CPU was killed by my PSU that went rogue) and I'd highly recommend 4GB 670s. I say that because even though 7970s do perform great, I like Nvidia products much better.
tongue.gif

· Intel Pariah
2,363 Posts
You gonna need a bit more oomph to power that resolution. Got three 7950s OCed to the limit and I am thinking of adding a fourth one for more juice.

In addition make sure that the monoprice screens come with Displayport or you gonna need to buy two active display adapters (The one that comes with a usb cable) to make those two extra screens work.

Forget about the 7970s or the 670s 4gb... the price difference from two 7950s will buy you a third 7950
tongue.gif

Just a word of caution if you want to go a route of more gpus... you gonna need to put them under water or you gonna be hearing a tornado from your pc every time you play.

· Registered
344 Posts
I'm interested in how you got a 3770k for $85. Deal with the devil?

· Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djghost454 View Post

You will for sure need more GPU power, good luck with the setup.

As far as him getting a 3770k for $85, it was probably the same way I got on, there are some benefits to having a crappy retail job sometimes.
I actually work in the oil and gas industry, but I did get the intel retail edge through an American friend.

The mobo was a price mistake via newegg.ca as well so it was about $110.

· Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubmeIm11 View Post

Impossible, manafacturing cost of a 3770K can't be $20 can it...my local distributor must be ripping my country off like nobody's business.
Most countries outside of the USA have much higher prices for PC parts because of the import taxes and customs fees. For example, in the Netherlands, there is a 20% VAT and in Venezuela, things can cost up to 300% as much as the price in US.

Also, manufacturing costs for the 3770k is fairly cheap, as with all CPUs. What costs a lot is the R&D fees which make the costs of the CPU skyrocket and then the need to profit, it can cost up to 800% as much.
tongue.gif

· Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought it'd post another picture this time with the displays level.
LL

And ask a few questions.

So I'm trying to decide what I should do for GPUs, unless Titan is cheap it seems the best way to go is to get another two 7950s. I was thinking about getting matching MSI reference cooler ones, thoughts anyone.

Also I figure I also need a new PSU (my fairly new 750 only supports two GPUS) what is a good 1000-1200 watt psu (that's not stupid expensive) that supports up to 4 GPUs (for the future) or two dual GPU GPUs?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.