Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought used parts(not recieved yet).

What makes me worried is I recently found out that EK had a smaller fiasco during 2011 juny with CPU blocks using nickel?

The CPU block I'm soon getting is named EK Water Blocks EK-Supreme HF - EN (Nickel).
http://www.aquatuning.de/product_info.php/info/p8633_EK-Water-Blocks-EK-Supreme-HF---EN--Nickel---775-1156-1155-1366-2011-AM2-AM3-939-XEON-.html

So now I'm worried the nickel/copper will corrode/fall off
frown.gif


Maybe adding anti corrosive every 6 months avoids this problem?

As I understand the quality of the EK might be not perfect.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,557 Posts
Using an anti-corrosive is a good idea especially given the recent events regarding nickel failures. The EN plating is supposed to fix the issues as they've stated. Use an anti-corrosive and don't worry about it imo, you've done what you can. If it becomes an issue, you can easily strip the nickel or just rma the block.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Using an anti-corrosive is a good idea especially given the recent events regarding nickel failures. The EN plating is supposed to fix the issues as they've stated. Use an anti-corrosive and don't worry about it imo, you've done what you can. If it becomes an issue, you can easily strip the nickel or just rma the block.
Seems like the EN is improved.

So even if the Nickel is corroding I can just strip it off the nickel so the copper is bare?

I don't think RMA is possible as I'm not the original buyer,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,475 Posts
Aww crap, that's the block that I just bought not too long ago. I hope I won't run into the same issue when I get my rig up and running. Maybe I should take my own precautions and strip the nickel now, before it's too late.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfeZZor X View Post

Aww crap, that's the block that I just bought not too long ago. I hope I won't run into the same issue when I get my rig up and running. Maybe I should take my own precautions and strip the nickel now, before it's too late.
You also have the EN version?

The EN version is supposed to be the new version which does not have the problem.

Incase the nickel does corrode into loop is that dangerous?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfeZZor X View Post

Aww crap, that's the block that I just bought not too long ago. I hope I won't run into the same issue when I get my rig up and running. Maybe I should take my own precautions and strip the nickel now, before it's too late.
LOL NO, don't do that. Just use anti-corrosive agent, inhibitors and forget about the issue. IF it becomes an issue later will be a year from now, then you tackle it then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

LOL NO, don't do that. Just use anti-corrosive agent, inhibitors and forget about the issue. IF it becomes an issue later will be a year from now, then you tackle it then.
Can I buy some anti corrosive from car shop?

A watercooling shop had only one bottle and it was anti corrosive for 2.5l of destilled water and the shipping is wery expensive
frown.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

LOL NO, don't do that. Just use anti-corrosive agent, inhibitors and forget about the issue. IF it becomes an issue later will be a year from now, then you tackle it then.
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

I would only use something non-toxic, however I'm sure you could order something from Aquatuning since they cater to the euro market,
Why does it have to be non-toxic?
 

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post

Why does it have to be non-toxic?
would you like to inhale fumes? toxic stuff also makes plasticizer bleed in our piping if im not mistaken.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post

Why does it have to be non-toxic?
What Sarge said, you know it's like poisonous. And it's illegal to dispose of it in your sink, yard, etc.... hazardous materials. It's a lot easier/safer using pc coolant.
 

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post

Why does it have to be non-toxic?
What Sarge said, you know it's like poisonous. And it's illegal to dispose of it in your sink, yard, etc.... hazardous materials. It's a lot easier/safer using pc coolant.
Actually in most cases, for the quantities in question (small) and the context (individual household use) it may not be environmentally responsible to dispose of "everyday" hazardous materials in the regular trash or sewers, but it's very unlikely to be illegal.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,557 Posts
^^Just don't go disposing ethylene glycol around children and pets and don't pour it down your drain if you have a tank.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,967 Posts
FWIW, I'm a bit of a toxic phobic myself, but not all corrosion blockers are EG based.

EK's new coolant is one of those that are the non toxic variety. Near as I can tell, about the only harm it could do is irritate your eyes. Here is thier MSDS sheet:
http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/EK-PSS/EK-PSS-3830046999634.pdf

It appears to have similar properties as this common food grade antifreeze where low toxicity is not only critical but required:
http://www.accepta.com/details.asp?cat=100&scat=50&id=8700
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top