Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have been looking information of this rads here and around google, seems nice to do a silence water build.

Here i leave the link for the rads:

180 (Single)
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-we-180-single.html

360 (Dual)
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-we-360-dual.html

540 (Triple)
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-we-540-triple.html

And also EK sells a 180mm fan that goes with the rads:

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fan-180-pwm-500-900-rpm.html

Anyone here have them or have something to share about them?

I'm currently looking to build a wall mounted pc and this rads seems excellent for the job, dual 540 will be the same area of rad than 3 triple 120 but with 6 180 fans that run slower instead of 9 120 fans. Also you have less dead zone on each fan since the blades are bigger compared to the motor.

So any feedback will be more than welcome.
biggrin.gif
Later i'll post some of the first schematics i have of the new build.

·
Call me VSG
12,870 Posts
I wish I had some info for you. I was trying to work with EK, Alphacool and a few others who sell 180mm size rads to do a roundup of the triple 180mm rads but it didn't work out at this time. I figured no one had done this before but that may also be a result of low sales of the rads. If you do get one, I would love to hear about how it is working out for you.

Those fans are made by Gelid so they should be decent at the very least. Silverstone also makes some good 180mm fans I hear.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggeg View Post

I wish I had some info for you. I was trying to work with EK, Alphacool and a few others who sell 180mm size rads to do a roundup of the triple 180mm rads but it didn't work out at this time. I figured no one had done this before but that may also be a result of low sales of the rads. If you do get one, I would love to hear about how it is working out for you.

Those fans are made by Gelid so they should be decent at the very least. Silverstone also makes some good 180mm fans I hear.
Agreed.
I used to run dual 540s (180.3 x 2) externally on a 5960x for a while (Raven rv03 case). Silverstone AP181 fans but not push/pull. Temps while gaming never broke ~30C (around 22C room temperature), idle temps were @ ambient, while stress testing at 4.4Ghz/1.3V (a dirty OC) hottest core @54C. This with the AP181 fans at slow/mid rpm. Once you throw in a gpu or two that's when you'll see them shine.
biggrin.gif

That is some serious rad space, more than 4 360s and more than a 140 MoRa. The fan selection could be a bit tricky since the size isn't popular, but two of the 540 could handle pretty much anything you throw at them. I was also looking into the EK rads but the shop I usually get them from didn't have them in stock so I opted for Alphacool's XT45s. I wouldn't think that the performance difference between the two could be more than +/- 10%, as with most rads. As for fans the AP181s I have are pretty decent and come with a three-stage switch fan controller(each). Silverstone makes another 180mm model as well (I think it only comes in white?), with better cfm / static pressure but it's considerably louder and more expensive (that one comes with a pci slot controller)
As for testing, this
http://www.hardwaremax.net/wasserkuehlung/radiatoren/801-test-alphacool-nexxxos-180mm-monsta-serie.html
is a german test of the alphacool 180.3 Monsta (80mm) it must have been done at an ealrier stage since they refer to the rads as prototypes but doubt something has changed. Try it with google translate or just look at the graphs
smile.gif

Have you decided on a case yet? I think some nice lian li wall mounted cases are coming out soon if not out already.
Hope this helps.
smile.gif

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansi View Post

Do these fit on RV02 internally?
Or only the magicool ones work?
dont know about the rv02 - if one would fit, it would be the slim one, but there several things to take into consideration then, e.g. gpu length. I think there is a video on the matter on youtube. I used to run mine externally, not even mounted on the case - it looked abysmal (the things are huge) but the performance was good
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Interesting...any more experiences to share with regards to 180mm rads and Silverstone inverted casing?
thumb.gif

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm curious about this too. This looks about the same size as the Magicool - would it fit in the Raven RV02? I also notice that it seems to have 19fpi, vs. the Magicool's 13fpi. Which one would be better with the Silverstone AP182 fans?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansi View Post

Do these fit on RV02 internally?
Or only the magicool ones work?
The size specifications look to be the same on both radiators, so the EK should fit in since we know the magicool does. Keep in mind that you need to remove the fan filter brackets to fit it in.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i use phobya xtreme 200mm rad 35mm width. i get about 15 degree celsius delta compared to aircooling on i5-2500 and single gxt580 on heaven benchmark on max settings. but if fun on rad is not spinning it easily go up to 95 degree. i'm planning to get one of those 2x180 rads to extend my loop.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Im weighing up my options at the moment, I hope to purchase my first loop in early july.

How would a single 540 perform with a 290X and an overclocked CPU?

This will be an external build, just the blocks inside the RV-02.
Thinking about SPQMAX`s dual 540 setup, If the radiators are stacked how much will performance suffer?

·
Call me VSG
12,870 Posts
With the 180mm rads I have found that the fans are more important than the available rads out there. I am working on establishing the best overall 180mm fan before going to test out rads but a quick test of the EK WE360 with their EK-FAN 180 PWM fans showed similar results to the EK PE 480 with NB-eLoops. Not bad at all! I would say that the 540mm version should keep you happy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBash View Post

Im weighing up my options at the moment, I hope to purchase my first loop in early july.

How would a single 540 perform with a 290X and an overclocked CPU?

This will be an external build, just the blocks inside the RV-02.
Thinking about SPQMAX`s dual 540 setup, If the radiators are stacked how much will performance suffer?
stacked radiators dont work and you get 0 degree difference

·
Registered
988 Posts
Thanks for your replys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggeg View Post

With the 180mm rads I have found that the fans are more important than the available rads out there. I am working on establishing the best overall 180mm fan before going to test out rads but a quick test of the EK WE360 with their EK-FAN 180 PWM fans showed similar results to the EK PE 480 with NB-eLoops. Not bad at all! I would say that the 540mm version should keep you happy.
Good stuff, I was thinking of using Silverstone AirPenetrators
Quote:
Originally Posted by andl View Post

stacked radiators dont work and you get 0 degree difference.
I see,
this is a crude sketch of what Im planning

I thought of two radiators, stacked, hot water flowing into the top one, and then into the lower.
I guess each radiator needs its OWN airflow to be worth the effort!

I want to build a linear PSU for the pump and fans maybe a relay trigger from the PC supply to switch it on.
The Cooler and PC will probably sit on opposing sides of my desk and would be about 3-4 feet apart.

The whole loop could be upto 10 feet long!! Is this a recipe for Dissapointment?

·
Call me VSG
12,870 Posts
Consider the FM181s instead. The AP182 does go higher but at the same RPM and at the same noise levels, I have yet to find a better performing fan than the FM181. Another bonus is you can actually control it via a fan controller fully unlike the AP182 which needs the bundled knob controller.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash_mouth01 View Post

I have a 290 OC to 1200Mhz and an AMD 8320 @ 4.7Ghz and at full load the CPU doesn't go over 58 Degrees or less and the 290 doesn't go above 46 degrees..

thats using a magicool triple 180 and and 3 of the EK 180mm fans by gelid..
Nice temps, thanks for the input
biggrin.gif
. How about the noise of those fan? Do you have a 120mm fan to compare it to?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvNw View Post

Nice temps, thanks for the input
biggrin.gif
. How about the noise of those fan? Do you have a 120mm fan to compare it to?
Well the ek 180s do only 900 rpm at full tilt..

I will put it this way I cant hear the 180s over my Gelid silent 12 PWM fans at 1500 RPM...

All I can hear from the ek 180s is the movement of air..which they do move quite a bit of air .

I see that people have been recommending the silverstone ap 181 and the 182.... which both are fantastic fans... but the ek 180s are commendable on my rad ..

That being said my rad only has 13 fpi and the ek coolstream WEs have 38(19 split fin ) but tey wouldnt pair it with the 180s they have of the fans where bad..

For the money I paid $19 AU per fan they are a bargain and 5 year warranty...vs silverstones 1 year warranty..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts