Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm new here, I'm doing a build and have already purchased some parts..just wanted to get your thoughts on this as I will be using a EK-Predator 240 QDC + GPU prefilled blocks to cool, Asus strix GTX1080 and a i7 kaby lake (when released Q3/4 this year) be housed in corsair carbide 540 air (hence the 240 not 360).

all threads I've read not many seem to of used the 240 in a CPU/GPU set up at all just wondered could I be looking at a face palm potential at the end of the build,...I know its all theory as parts arent even available yet...but any thoughts welcome ...cheers
smile.gif

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
If you're not planning on overclocking, a 240mm should work just fine. Although a 360 would be better ofc.

Do you already own the carbide 540, or is it just the case you plan on using?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I already have the case, the plan was to OC CPU and a mild OC on top of GPU as looking for a sustained 2ghz, while gaming. I'm considering the possibility of if need be add a 120mm radiator to the loop if temps on testing are throttling on me.

Thanks for input

D

LOL would need to beg EK if they would do me a prefilled 120mm Raddie with QDC
frown.gif

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeptoke View Post

Unfortunately I already have the case, the plan was to OC CPU and a mild OC on top of GPU as looking for a sustained 2ghz, while gaming. I'm considering the possibility of if need be add a 120mm radiator to the loop if temps on testing are throttling on me.

Thanks for input

D

LOL would need to beg EK if they would do me a prefilled 120mm Raddie with QDC
frown.gif
Nothing unfortunate about that case, it's an awesome case to air cool or water cool in. You should be very happy to have a good flexible case like that. Fill it and enjoy it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammurphy View Post

A 360 is barely enough for a 5930k @ 4.3 ghz 1.21v and a 980 ti @ 1450mhz 8000 mem, A 240 would be horrible
This is so wrong...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnad View Post

Nothing unfortunate about that case, it's an awesome case to air cool or water cool in. You should be very happy to have a good flexible case like that. Fill it and enjoy it!
This is so wrong...
Just going by my experience, with the predator 360 my cpu reaches into the 80s and gpu into the 60's unless i turn the fans way up to 1500+.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I agree that a X99 CPU and a 980Ti both overclocked are bringing a 360 with silent settings to a point where its getting quite warm
wink.gif

Since OP just wants a 1080 a Quad Core CPU a 240 should be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments @Radnad, I'm going ahead with the build anyway. As I'm not going down x99 route, I'm sure I will find a good balance with the 240 in well ventilated 540 case. I Will post some temps up as soon as available and keep you guys up yo date on build progress.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Quote:

A 360 is barely enough for a 5930k @ 4.3 ghz 1.21v and a 980 ti @ 1450mhz 8000 mem, A 240 would be horrible
I run a [email protected] and a 980 Ti @ 1.5GHz, it's plenty. Of course bigger rad is always better, but saying 240 would be horrible is overreacting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EK_tiborrr View Post

I run a [email protected] and a 980 Ti @ 1.5GHz, it's plenty. Of course bigger rad is always better, but saying 240 would be horrible is overreacting.
It may be a bit of an over reaction, but it kind of defeats the purpose of water cooling. You will easily hit 70 c on gpu and 80 c on cpu with a 5930k and a 980 ti on a 240. Its less than ideal would be a better way of putting it

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I really don't hit those temperatures.

During gaming the GPU barely goes over 50°C and i keep Vardar fans under 1600rpms. It all depends on how your setup is done and why you wish to water cool. Some people do it because they want the lowest possible temperatures, some do it because they want silent cooling within a limited form factor.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:

So I would assume a Predator 360 would be needed for a I7-5930k and Dual FuryX or would it be better to have the Fury's on a separate 360?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:

Just going by my experience, with the predator 360 my cpu reaches into the 80s and gpu into the 60's unless i turn the fans way up to 1500+.
Just wondering did you buy you GPU block of the EKWB site or third party? if there site did you pay import charges?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht_addict View Post

So I would assume a Predator 360 would be needed for a I7-5930k and Dual FuryX or would it be better to have the Fury's on a separate 360?
A single FuryX is already producing a lot of heat. I think you could make it work, but don't exspect to be able to use fans with less than 1500rpm to cool that setup.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Personally id go 360 if you can fit it, 240 will barely give you decent temps. The longer the rad the better ALWAYS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:

I really don't hit those temperatures.

During gaming the GPU barely goes over 50°C and i keep Vardar fans under 1600rpms. It all depends on how your setup is done and why you wish to water cool. Some people do it because they want the lowest possible temperatures, some do it because they want silent cooling within a limited form factor.
At 1500 rpm, it struggles to keep the gpu below 60 for me. it will bounce to 62 and drop, keep in mind i'm running the card full tilt trying to power 3440 x 1440. I'm waiting on a new phanteks enthoo evolv atx tempered glass than i am doing push pull with LTT nff12 mounted in the front, i will update if that gives better results for me

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht_addict View Post

Just wondering did you buy you GPU block of the EKWB site or third party? if there site did you pay import charges?
47 $ At the door, ordered direct from ekwb

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Everyone, well obviously Kaby lake is delayed so I'm stuck with my i5 for a while, but I finished the build and well a picture speaks a thousand words...the GPU block is Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 and I have it stable at 2.1ghz 50c load and my i5 devils canyon is at 4ghz and 50-55c load...

I got the 240 predator from Scan and I ordered the water block prefilled from EK direct and I got great service...though tracking your parcel across Europe I wondered about condition but all came perfect..

I'd like to thank everyone for their thoughts and comments and as I upgrade to Kaby Lake I'll do a temp update here as well.

anyway here are some shots..hope you like them

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think this is a very interesting build for those build that cannot fit a 360 rad and still want to have the best possible AIO in their system to cool the GPU (which is the most important thing to liquid cool in my view).

So if you could share information about temps, rpm's and your subjective sound analysis already that would be nice!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts