Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, recently i bought this EK Predator 360 and have this idea of expanding it. I wanted to add another 360mm radiator to it but the top doesnt have enough space as the Predator 360 takes up the top space. This made me wondering, what if i add another 360mm in front ? like stacking it together with the Predator 360. Would it be better to put the radiator stacking with the Predator rather than cramping it on the top ? and i strongly believe this will have a better looks than putting it on the top.

this is the current rig i have now

this is the rough idea of what i had.
Water flow should be from Predator 360 > Cpu Block > Gpu Block > Extra 360mm Radiator > Predator 360.
Would this work guys ?
And sorry for the bad drawing as i have to draw using a trackpad because my mouse wasnt with me. BTW I'm new to custom watercooling, =D

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
That 360 should be able to handle a gpu added to the loop. I think you would be taking a pretty big risk trying to get 45degree fittings to clear another EK radiator collector sitting right in front of the existing predator like that.

I would say its much safer to add a 240 to the top just above the motherboard giving the predator the space it needs. (I believe you hinted at the fact you can mount a radiator up there)

If you absolutely had to have it like your drawing you might be able to use a couple of 90degree fittings in some solution but its taking a risk without having the parts on hand to test fit.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Looked at my own 360 rad which has 45 degree compression fittings. It will absolutely not work and I'm thinking not even the compression part of a 90 degree will fit with a 25mm fan as a spacer between the two radiators. You would need to get like 35 mm thick fans to stand the radiator off enough. And also use barbs instead of compression fittings to make the fitting low enough profile RIP.

Over all I would not do this. Use a 240radiator and avoid a ton of trouble. It will still look good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
owh, i thought of the 240 too but personally i wont think that it would looks as good as this. thanks for your time to reply me =D
and if i could do this, may i ask that is stacking the radiator works ?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coqqy View Post

owh, i thought of the 240 too but personally i wont think that it would looks as good as this. thanks for your time to reply me =D
and if i could do this, may i ask that is stacking the radiator works ?
Yeah it will work ok, its just a matter of what to do about the plumbing.
If it wasn't a predator it would have been possible to do a pass through setup but the problem is the pump would be part of that and I've never heard of that working.
Also trust me the 240 radiator will look fine if you plumb it neatly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitrevX View Post

Yeah it will work ok, its just a matter of what to do about the plumbing.
If it wasn't a predator it would have been possible to do a pass through setup but the problem is the pump would be part of that and I've never heard of that working.
Also trust me the 240 radiator will look fine if you plumb it neatly.
hmm, i'll will try and see if it works as my friend have a 360 laying around collecting dust, if it fails then i will just stick with 240. i'll post pictures here about this build.
anyway how did you set up your Predator flow ? is my flow diagram right ?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coqqy View Post

hmm, i'll will try and see if it works as my friend have a 360 laying around collecting dust, if it fails then i will just stick with 240. i'll post pictures here about this build.
anyway how did you set up your Predator flow ? is my flow diagram right ?
Oh I don't have a predator. When I meant my 360 rad I meant a EK radiator I have that gives me a good idea of the spacing.
My loop is custom using EK parts but I picked out what I needed separately. This was long before EK started to make AIO's. But yeah your diagram would work, if there is space to deal the the piping between the radiators.

·
Registered
331 Posts
A 2nd Predator 360 to cool the GPU? That would be a bit of an overkill
biggrin.gif

Stacking the rads would cause problems with the tubes if I am not mistaken...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Oh I don't have a predator. When I meant my 360 rad I meant a EK radiator I have that gives me a good idea of the spacing.
My loop is custom using EK parts but I picked out what I needed separately. This was long before EK started to make AIO's. But yeah your diagram would work, if there is space to deal the the piping between the radiators.
owh owh okay, well i did it already
biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschijn View Post

A 2nd Predator 360 to cool the GPU? That would be a bit of an overkill
biggrin.gif

Stacking the rads would cause problems with the tubes if I am not mistaken...
yeah it is a little overkill but well i'm new to water cooling so i have lots of ideas and superbly excited
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Guys, i bought some fittings and tubing yesterday and work on this Project.
I did it and it turns out to be quiite well. I have 5 degree drop in idle while my cpu load doesn't go up to 40 degree at 1.25V 4.5Ghz overclock.

this is the finished looks of it

this is how i loop both of the radiators

i've added this small screw with three nuts in between to create space for 'airbreak' while accommodate the 90 degree fittings
and i love how it looks
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Nice yeah I was thinking the only way would be to use 90 degree fittings but glad you got compression fittings to fit.
I think its a bit pointless till you get the GPU block. Even then it's probably a bit much unless you go crazy with voltage on the gpu.

Though coincidentally this is some what interesting to me. I plan on building a server 4u case with radiators in front of each other. Not directly mounted like yours however but pretty close to the same idea. I plan on running 2 loops by buying 2 kits from EK (Not AIO's but full kits). One kit for the GPU and another kit for the CPU. The reason is because the pc will be moved a lot to different venues and possibly for out door events. So I'm very curious what a setup kinda like what you have with a gpu and cpu in the loop does out doors. On fairly warm day outside 80F - 27C and how the temps are on the hardware.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Which rad has the first intake / which rad gets the hottest water? Guess the 2nd one (the new one) should get the warmest water first.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm View Post

Please don't do this, it will not be worth the effort at all. It would be better to put a 240 radiator in the top.
He already did it though. Yes, it is ridiculous and the cooling efficiency of the loop has well passed the point of diminishing returns but whatever makes him happy.

I want to do something similar but dual loop, one for gpu and the other for cpu for a server rig that will be outdoors sometimes. On the positive side I plan on doing it with EK parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Nice yeah I was thinking the only way would be to use 90 degree fittings but glad you got compression fittings to fit.
I think its a bit pointless till you get the GPU block. Even then it's probably a bit much unless you go crazy with voltage on the gpu.

Though coincidentally this is some what interesting to me. I plan on building a server 4u case with radiators in front of each other. Not directly mounted like yours however but pretty close to the same idea. I plan on running 2 loops by buying 2 kits from EK (Not AIO's but full kits). One kit for the GPU and another kit for the CPU. The reason is because the pc will be moved a lot to different venues and possibly for out door events. So I'm very curious what a setup kinda like what you have with a gpu and cpu in the loop does out doors. On fairly warm day outside 80F - 27C and how the temps are on the hardware.
yeah it is pointless but i'm curious of what i can do to it. Well my place here is kinda warm in the day where it can reach 27 C. I ran IBT extreme and the processor never hit 50C. And all the fans are in silent mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschijn View Post

Which rad has the first intake / which rad gets the hottest water? Guess the 2nd one (the new one) should get the warmest water first.
Just like what you said, the second radiator is the warm one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm View Post

Please don't do this, it will not be worth the effort at all. It would be better to put a 240 radiator in the top.
Yes i know that it would be better to put a 240mm in the top but i'm just curious of all this. I'm new to water cooling and i love to play around all this.
wink.gif
Quote:

He already did it though. Yes, it is ridiculous and the cooling efficiency of the loop has well passed the point of diminishing returns but whatever makes him happy.

I want to do something similar but dual loop, one for gpu and the other for cpu for a server rig that will be outdoors sometimes. On the positive side I plan on doing it with EK parts.
When my block arrived, i'll change the 2nd radiator position to top to see what temps i get
biggrin.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts