Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall these are still fairly new. Anyone have any experience with them yet? Are they any good compare to Noctura and GT? I plan to use them on a 360mm AIO cooler if people have good experience with them.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,219 Posts
Could you be more specific with "AIO"? Are we talking about a reasonably efficient piece like a Swiftech H-320 X2 or EK where a fan like this would make a difference? Or are we talking about some Asetek CLC where it really doesn't matter?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I have 3 x 140mm Evos and 1 x 120mm Evo, they all developed annoying motor noises within a month, returned them and got replacements, exact same thing happened. The performance of the fans is fine, but the annoying motor noises have meant they're sitting in a box not being used.

·
Overclocker in training
14,078 Posts
Hi,
I've got 4 unused of the buttugly EK's
I prefer these there is a 1200mm version too I just got a couple for my 240mm rad
MFY-P2NN-15NMK-R1
http://eu.coolermaster.com/en/cooling/case-fan/masterfan-pro-120-ap/

CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 140 Air Pressure line with a sweet little switch for different modes :thumb:
S Mode 650-1550rpm at 20dba
Q Mode 2200rpm at 30dba
P Mode 2800 rpm at 36dba
MFY-P4NN-15NMk-R1 I've got a pair of them I want more :)
http://eu.coolermaster.com/en/coolin...an-pro-140-ap/

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1YF-0010-00094

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
When it comes to rad performance, static pressure is king! You could try Delta fans, they are used in Servers and should be cheaper than any fans sold by companies that sell gamer branded items. They have a lot of different ones and they should all be better quality than a lot of the gamer marketed ones. I am considering the HD-120 by corsair strictly for aesthetic reasons (digital RGB), it has a pressure rating of 2.25mmH20 . I found some arrays of Delta in the e-waste bin at work, all are 120mm. One set had an impressive ~4mmH20 pressure rating, the other set had a draw dropping 10mmH20. Crazy higher pressures can come at a cost of being louder. I haven't tested the 10mmh20, though the 4mmH20 didn't put out that much sound as I was thinking. The Delta fans are going to be very reliable, the fact they are intended to work 24/7 for years as well as not being easily changed means they need something reliable in data center. Most decent kits will come with a fan that has a static of ~1.8 or higher.

Fan: mmH20 - dBA
Corsair HD120: 2.25 - 30
Delta WFB1212H: 4.8 - 37.6
Delta FFB1212SH: 10.64 - 54

There are way to many options, it all comes down to cost, performance, loudness, and looks. Depending on what you want, that can vary. I am not sure of what I want to do, still spending to much time researching.

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
When it comes to rad performance, static pressure is king! You could try Delta fans, they are used in Servers and should be cheaper than any fans sold by companies that sell gamer branded items. They have a lot of different ones and they should all be better quality than a lot of the gamer marketed ones. I am considering the HD-120 by corsair strictly for aesthetic reasons (digital RGB), it has a pressure rating of 2.25mmH20 . I found some arrays of Delta in the e-waste bin at work, all are 120mm. One set had an impressive ~4mmH20 pressure rating, the other set had a draw dropping 10mmH20. Crazy higher pressures can come at a cost of being louder. I haven't tested the 10mmh20, though the 4mmH20 didn't put out that much sound as I was thinking. The Delta fans are going to be very reliable, the fact they are intended to work 24/7 for years as well as not being easily changed means they need something reliable in data center. Most decent kits will come with a fan that has a static of ~1.8 or higher.

Fan: mmH20 - dBA
Corsair HD120: 2.25 - 30
Delta WFB1212H: 4.8 - 37.6
Delta FFB1212SH: 10.64 - 54

There are way to many options, it all comes down to cost, performance, loudness, and looks. Depending on what you want, that can vary. I am not sure of what I want to do, still spending to much time researching.
Those pressure ratings are directly related to fan rpm
HD120 = 1725rpm
WFB1212H = 2470rpm
FFB1212SH = 3700rpm

My guess is if FFB1212SH nd WFB1212H are slowed down to 1725rpm their pressure rating is similar to HD120

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Could you be more specific with "AIO"? Are we talking about a reasonably efficient piece like a Swiftech H-320 X2 or EK where a fan like this would make a difference? Or are we talking about some Asetek CLC where it really doesn't matter?
it can make a difference - Maybe you could post how you came to that conclusion with fact rather than just your constant pointless argumentative bashing of asetek based aio's.

I have two asetek based AIO's and have tried various fans on them and you can see a temp and noise change depending which ones you use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
To the op's

Are you referring to these fans https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vardar-evo-120er-white .very expensive and it's the only Fan to have 0DB, or totally stop, but I think many current MB can also do this even if the Fan does not support total stop. Haven't used other types of Fans.

I have two in my setup, and those are the only Fans I have, one is use for a case Fan and is connected and reacts to my chipset, its runs avarage 1300RPM and is set on PWM, set to spin when the temp reaches 35c.

Second Fan is used on my Radiator and it's only spins around 600-800rpm when spinning, using the MB software this fan will start to spin if my CPU temp reaches 30c, the highest temp on my system is 37c for CPU and 55c for chipset.

My system is a GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI m-ITX, samsung M.2 950 pro 512GB, two 4 GB HDD, cooling is a DC LT ceramic pump using a plexitop, raystorm pro cpu block, silverstone SX700PLT power supply, alphacool radiator and two EK Fan, although the Fan are PWM enabled in my setup, they have not reached full speed at 2200RPM yet.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Those pressure ratings are directly related to fan rpm
HD120 = 1725rpm
WFB1212H = 2470rpm
FFB1212SH = 3700rpm

My guess is if FFB1212SH nd WFB1212H are slowed down to 1725rpm their pressure rating is similar to HD120
This got me thinking. As I am perfectionist at times, I have a good amount of data compiled to compare fans as I was looking for RGB and some Non-RGB fans for my system. These are based of Manufacture's ratings and I scaled the RPM by diving it by 1000 to make it easier to compare. This also doesn't account for the ~10% margin of error. The graph is sorted by RPM.

It is fascinating there isn't a 1:1 correlation of RPM to static pressure. With the exception of the lowest preforming fans, the rest are consider to be high static pressure fans. It seems around 2000RPM we see an almost doubling of the RPM. We also see performance boosts from vanes as both fans with a * have directional vanes on them and have very high static pressure for the RPMs.

I think you are right about the fans preforming similar in terms of static pressure at the RPMs of the HD-120. Though I am curious if the FFb1212SH would have a much higher static pressure than the others at that speed due to the vanes and how would the lower fan area and bigger hub would effect. In order to do this, I need to figure out if the FFB1212SH I found in the ewaste bin work.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To the op's

Are you referring to these fans https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vardar-evo-120er-white .very expensive and it's the only Fan to have 0DB, or totally stop, but I think many current MB can also do this even if the Fan does not support total stop. Haven't used other types of Fans.

I have two in my setup, and those are the only Fans I have, one is use for a case Fan and is connected and reacts to my chipset, its runs avarage 1300RPM and is set on PWM, set to spin when the temp reaches 35c.

Second Fan is used on my Radiator and it's only spins around 600-800rpm when spinning, using the MB software this fan will start to spin if my CPU temp reaches 30c, the highest temp on my system is 37c for CPU and 55c for chipset.

My system is a GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI m-ITX, samsung M.2 950 pro 512GB, two 4 GB HDD, cooling is a DC LT ceramic pump using a plexitop, raystorm pro cpu block, silverstone SX700PLT power supply, alphacool radiator and two EK Fan, although the Fan are PWM enabled in my setup, they have not reached full speed at 2200RPM yet.

Hope this helps.
thanks, yes those are the ones im referring to, white and black versions. I ended up getting the white ones. crossing fingers hopefully they dont go bad like the old versions i keep hearing about.

I have 6 of them in push/pull on a Fractal Celsius S36. Case is Thermaltake P3 White version.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Fractal Celsius S36

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
I have a Fractal Celsius S36
S36 is made by Asetek with 'Gen 5' pump .. but who knows if gen 5 performs any differnet than gen 1 because Asetek refuses to publish any pump flow rate or head data.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,219 Posts
S36 is made by Asetek with 'Gen 5' pump .. but who knows if gen 5 performs any differnet than gen 1 because Asetek refuses to publish any pump flow rate or head data.
Hmmm.....gee.....one would think if they actually did something worth reporting, they would.

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
Hmmm.....gee.....one would think if they actually did something worth reporting, they would.
Anyone smarter than a stick doesn't pay much attention to the person who makes lots of claims about how fast their car is. They want to see the quarter mile time sheet data that shows how fast the car is. :p

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish more would make 420mm AIO water-cooler already. the only one i found is by Alphacool i think.

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
I wish more would make 420mm AIO water-cooler already. the only one i found is by Alphacool i think.
There are too few AIOs that are not CLC to worry about it. Alphacool and Swiftech OEM are the only AIOs not CLCs that I know of. Alphacool make their Eisbaer, be quiet! Silent Loop and Fractal Design Kelvin while Swiftech only make their own cooler. All have models with 280mm and 360mm radiators.

·
Registered
75 Posts
thanks, yes those are the ones im referring to, white and black versions. I ended up getting the white ones. crossing fingers hopefully they dont go bad like the old versions i keep hearing about.

I have 6 of them in push/pull on a Fractal Celsius S36. Case is Thermaltake P3 White version.
I'm using the N case, so I'm limited on space, i'm using a single 120mm radiator and set the radiator fan in pull, the case fan is set to pull also dragging air from the base into the case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts