Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The special addition 3090FE block finally came in the other day so I was able to finish my loop!

Parts List:
CPU - EK-Quantum Magnitude D-RGB - AM4 Nickel + Acetal
GPU - EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3090 D-RGB - Black Special Edition
Reservoir - EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5 PWM D-RGB - Acetal
Rad - EK-CoolStream CE 420 (Triple)

Cable-management still needs to get cleaned up, and I also need to figure out how to control fans + RGB settings on everything as the colors are out of control right now.

Need a controller that will handle:
  • 6 RGB fans (with splitters)
  • 4 jrainbow connectors for blocks, pump, extra set of fans.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice man, looks good, how’s the temps on the 3090 now?
Wayyy better than before. With the backplate being actively cooled, my mining memory temps dropped from 104C stock to 72C at the same clocks. Finally able to get more OC on the card so it's sitting at 78C now with +1100 memory OC.

Will test game performance over the weekend. What I've noticed so far is that the block covers VRMs in addition to memory chips which the stock cooler didn't do. Should get some nice results for sure.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wayyy better than before. With the backplate being actively cooled, my mining memory temps dropped from 104C stock to 72C at the same clocks. Finally able to get more OC on the card so it's sitting at 78C now with +1100 memory OC.

Will test game performance over the weekend. What I've noticed so far is that the block covers VRMs in addition to memory chips which the stock cooler didn't do. Should get some nice results for sure.
nice, my 3080 sits at 90C memory junction while mining, it was 102 on air

·
AMD fan
1,909 Posts
Add another rad pronto.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice, my 3080 sits at 90C memory junction while mining, it was 102 on air
I was getting junction temps in the 90s after doing the thermal pad mod on the 3090, that alone is a great mod. We're full on overkill with the waterblocks now :devilish:

Add another rad pronto.
I was thinking about it but wanted to look at my temps first before going that route. The 420 seems to handle everything fine while mining. Do you think I'd get that big of a bump in performance if I added another rad? I've got room for another 280x45 or 360x60 up front if I really wanted to expand.

·
AMD fan
1,909 Posts
I was getting junction temps in the 90s after doing the thermal pad mod on the 3090, that alone is a great mod. We're full on overkill with the waterblocks now :devilish:

I was thinking about it but wanted to look at my temps first before going that route. The 420 seems to handle everything fine while mining. Do you think I'd get that big of a bump in performance if I added another rad? I've got room for another 280x45 or 360x60 up front if I really wanted to expand.
What are your GPU core temps under load? I'm getting better temps with dual slim 240mm rads. If you are going to be dropping this kind of money on water blocks, you should do it right. Add the 360 rad and watch your temps fall further. Now you can reduce your fan speeds for a super quiet system.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are your GPU core temps under load? I'm getting better temps with dual slim 240mm rads. If you are going to be dropping this kind of money on water blocks, you should do it right. Add the 360 rad and watch your temps fall further. Now you can reduce your fan speeds for a super quiet system.
Haven't done any long-term load tests yet, but 3DMark shows:

Idle:
Core - 27.5C
Junction - 38.0C
Hotspot - 37.3C

Load (max):
Core - 43.3C
Junction - 62.0C
Hotspot - 56.0C

Will game for a bit and do a more long-term load test, then report back. In the short-term, I think the single 420 can handle this setup just fine, but agree with you that throwing a 360 in for long-term is probably a good plan.

·
AMD fan
1,909 Posts
Haven't done any long-term load tests yet, but 3DMark shows:

Idle:
Core - 27.5C
Junction - 38.0C
Hotspot - 37.3C

Load (max):
Core - 43.3C
Junction - 62.0C
Hotspot - 56.0C

Will game for a bit and do a more long-term load test, then report back. In the short-term, I think the single 420 can handle this setup just fine, but agree with you that throwing a 360 in for long-term is probably a good plan.
43C is pretty solid, tbh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice System! TBH I'm surprised how small the 3090 with a water block is - I presume the air cooler is huge on the 3000 series cards?

·
Registered
72 Posts
What is your mem junction temperature while mining with that EK block? I heard it has somewhat hybrid cooling backplate but not a true active cooling backplate.

Edit: Nvm I see your post above regarding 78C temp while mining with 1100 mem, mine is 80C with 1100 mem as well and its only a passive backplate. Weird. Corsair block must have had really good thermal pads on the backplate to transfer heat away from the chips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts