Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Register .co .uk
As the One Laptop Per Child initiative goes from strength to strength around the world, there are signs that Pakistan may be getting the message too, after the Punjab government began handing out 125,000 free Ubuntu-based laptops to college and university freshers.

Chairman of the Punjab Information Technology Board, Umar Saif, said the project was designed to "facilitate better access to educational content and tools", adding that it was the first project of its kind on such a scale to use open source software.

"Supporting open-source software at this scale, in a country with rampant use of proprietary and pirated software, is bold and laudable. Due to its flexibility, zero-cost and broad-based academic support, open-source software is the de facto standard for college and university students worldwide," he wrote.
Source

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftkidd2323 View Post

Y U NO POST IN NEWS SECTION?!
thumb.gif
It will get shunned in the news section, and would get very little reads from Window users who don't care about Linux
tongue.gif

Might as well not bother them and just post here where people actually want to read things like this?

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Moved to news section. Fits better here.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onions View Post

this is great news
biggrin.gif
Yup, especially because it both advances the popularity of Linux among normal users and may prove to reduce the "rampant piracy" of software in the country...

even if only at least 10,000 of those 125,000 decide to stick with Linux and not move to Windows.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Cool

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
I'm not a linux user, but I like this news
tongue.gif

The two reasons I don't use linux are probably the same as why most other people don't.
1) It isn't YET easily to quickly flow through the OS as smoothly as windows (not like windows is anything spectacular)
2)Probably the biggest reason, the lack of support for software, drivers, and games on linux. If I start to see alot more stuff like this, hopefully devs will develop for linux, and then I'll be jumping ship!

Monopolies are not fun

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
It's kind of cool that linux is picking up steam, but ubuntu is like the worst distribution out there.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

It's kind of cool that linux is picking up steam, but ubuntu is like the worst distribution out there.
Subjective statement. While many of us may not like it think about it this way...we may not like OSX or Win7 either; doesn't make them worse. It probably is the "worst" because of what it is aiming for...the general absolutely computer illiterate user. That is why it's become/becoming more popular.

I'm wondering if I read it wrong, but I'm not happy if some Islamist-fundamentalist are behind this just so they can overturn a government. The article itself pointed out how it would have been better for younger students (who can't vote) to get the laptops/computers. Oh well, maybe they still get exposed to something "good".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts