Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Today, the new Dutch government presented its detailed plan for the coming years and it includes making all new cars emission-free by 2030 - virtually banning petrol- and diesel-powered cars in favor of battery-powered vehicles.

The four coalition parties have been negotiating their plans since the election in March and now after over 200 days, they have finally released the plan they agreed upon.

They join several other countries and governments with similar efforts in the work. France, the UK, and Scotland, all recently announced efforts to ban petrol and gas-powered cars in favor of electric vehicles. China and California are also said to be working toward the goal.
- Salsa -

·
Adclock.net
3,751 Posts
Its one thing to say you plan to do something, It's another to do it, In the end I doubt you will find a usable electric first car for 400 bucks in comparison to a petrol or deisel and no for many public transport actually isn't an option.

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

Its one thing to say you plan to do something, It's another to do it, In the end I doubt you will find a usable electric first car for 400 bucks in comparison to a petrol or deisel and no for many public transport actually isn't an option.
When there isn't an alternative for the market, the car companies will make it happen.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

I'm sure it's for brand new vehicle manufacturing, it's not like overnight every gasoline powered vehicle going to be barred from being on the road.They'll just break down over time and eventually the road will only be electrics and classic gasoline cars.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just for new cars, and even then classics will be preserved and driven for decades. I still see a Ford Model T every now and then on the weekends.

·
Politically incorrect
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Tesla has now a fleet of over 8,000 cars in the country, which the electric automaker actually made its European headquarters
Compared to the 92 million ICE cars/trucks/vans etc currently in the Netherlands. How do they plan to enforce this? Taxation? That won't do a thing, and said agreement can still be repealed.

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
The emphasis on new. No NEW ICE vehicles past 2030 to be sold in country. Doesn't mean all used cars also must ne replaced. They will eventually phase out...

·
Politically incorrect
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slomo4shO View Post

The emphasis on new. No NEW ICE vehicles past 2030 to be sold in country. Doesn't mean all used cars also must ne replaced. They will eventually phase out...
Even if you taxed ICE cars 100%, cars and parts would still make it into the country, and there are ways to avoid paying said taxes. I get the enthusiasm, but you have to take into account reality along with pie in the sky idealism.

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardsoup View Post

Even if you taxed ICE cars 100%, cars and parts would still make it into the country, and there are ways to avoid paying said taxes. I get the enthusiasm, but you have to take into account reality along with pie in the sky idealism.
Building a car does differs from buying a car. Yes?

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Quote:

Again, they'll still be imported, and there are ways to reclassify vehicles to avoid taxation.
Again, apples and oranges...

This law seems to focus on retail side of things. As others have said, it will force manufacturers to have a complete electric lineup by 2030.

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
Quote:

Again, they'll still be imported, and there are ways to reclassify vehicles to avoid taxation.
Western Europe is largely less dogmatic on what constitutes a demonstration of individual liberty than is the average American libertarian. I sincerely doubt that the greater portion of the pubic will care whether their car is powered by petrol or electric, and given the size and urbanisation of the Netherlands, it's not especially crucial to have the range that many rural American drivers consider a basic necessity.

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
Quote:

Not sure how registration works in the Netherlands, but simply refusing to register new ICE vehicles would seem to take care of that problem. Or can you drive a foreign registered car forever as part of EU rules?

·
Politically incorrect
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

Not sure how registration works in the Netherlands, but simply refusing to register new ICE vehicles would seem to take care of that problem. Or can you drive a foreign registered car forever as part of EU rules?
There are other ways, but I won't be giving lawmakers any ideas.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts