Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Well I'm starting to actively fold on SMP only... but I'm worried.... Will the rise of cost in my electricity bill be noticeable?
Thanks OCN.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
It will be noticeable. Some people say it raises about $25 some get higher bills depending on how many computers you start folding with.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On sig rig?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Depends on where you live. In Ontario, energy costs something like 8 cents+8 cents of delivery per kw/h, so folding for an hour for you (if you had a similar electricity bill) would cost around 10 cents an hour, $2.40 a day if folding 24/7

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the price here is 16-20 cents per kw/h
Argh.......... I just don't want to get a sermon cuz the electric bill went up a couple euros :S
3.84€/day

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Allen-;14226041
Depends on where you live. In Ontario, energy costs something like 8 cents+8 cents of delivery per kw/h, so folding for an hour for you (if you had a similar electricity bill) would cost around 10 cents an hour, $2.40 a day if folding 24/7
Less because his computer doesn't consume 1kw.

I think my 465 + 430 consumes 1-2 cents an hour.

·
New OCN got me like...
4,097 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. Where do you guys look to find out your city's rates? What other numbers do I need to know?

(Sorry to hijack your thread.)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onoz;14227406
I'm interested in this as well. Where do you guys look to find out your city's rates? What other numbers do I need to know?

(Sorry to hijack your thread.)
+1 , I'm concerned about 2 OC'd 480's and an OC'd 955 lol. If it goes up more than $20-30 I might have to cut back some.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1055AMDGuy;14228038
+1 , I'm concerned about 2 OC'd 480's and an OC'd 955 lol. If it goes up more than $20-30 I might have to cut back some.
Google
kwh price in "your state" 2011
Or look at your electricity company's website
smile.gif

Also, take into account that PSUs are not toally efficient.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
500$ electric bill?!?!?! :O
@omega17
I will OC it when the warranty runs its course
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
A 100w increase at $0.10 per kWh equates to:
.1*24*365*.10=$87.6/year

Edit:
This is for AC power.
If your PSU were 90% efficient that would equate to a 90w DC load costing $87.6/year.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
lol someone should try and tax write off folding electric costs one day since its volunteer work rofl. That being said I'd never pay more than 200 dollars a month of electricity. Course im from alabama and we have a far better electric company than most of the country/world.

·
Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Will the rise be noticeable? Short answer, yes.

Long answer: It will not be as noticeable as GPU folding would be. However, if you pay the bills, you will feel it. If you wish to compute it, and you have a Kill-a-Watt, you need to take the wattage of the system at load and subtract from that the wattage of the system at idle. Multiply that by the number of hours daily you wish to fold, then by 30.4375 to convert daily into monthly. This is how many extra watts your folding will use. Multiply by the going rate for electricity in kW-hr (better to aim high, say 20c) and then divide by 1000. That will give you the monthly increase in cents. (Divide by 100 for Euros.)

In my case (GPU/CPU mixture), my PC produces about 40-50% of the month's total electric bill. If you consider that it causes the A/C to come on more, that would be more like 70% attribution.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by omega17
View Post

Also, why are you running a 2600K @ stock?

I'm sure he has his reasons..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz6804
View Post

Will the rise be noticeable? Short answer, yes.

Long answer: It will not be as noticeable as GPU folding would be. However, if you pay the bills, you will feel it. If you wish to compute it, and you have a Kill-a-Watt, you need to take the wattage of the system at load and subtract from that the wattage of the system at idle. Multiply that by the number of hours daily you wish to fold, then by 30.4375 to convert daily into monthly. This is how many extra watts your folding will use. Multiply by the going rate for electricity in kW-hr (better to aim high, say 20c) and then divide by 1000. That will give you the monthly increase in cents. (Divide by 100 for Euros.)

In my case (GPU/CPU mixture), my PC produces about 40-50% of the month's total electric bill. If you consider that it causes the A/C to come on more, that would be more like 70% attribution.

1. Shouldn't you subtract the wattage at idle from the wattage at load rather than the other way around?

2. That's assuming all his comp does is idle, he should also consider that it will be consuming a similar amount of power when gaming.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I won't be folding 24/7, and since I don't pay the bills it is a problem. I don't want shocks from the owners of the house
Then I won't be able to fold
Only a little bit... maybe 2 hrs/day and cut down on gaming?

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
I noticed the bill when points hit 2.5 million in a month.When points stayed a 1 million or so it was hard to say the extra was from folding. I think "Electric Bill" would be a great folding name.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts