Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other Stuff:

There was no where else really to put this, this site really needs a general hardware section... Admin, can we please get one?

Ok, i had done my aircon cooling session and i reached 4.17Ghz Stable (didn't do any big stability tests but stable through your average programs), i made some little clips aswell of the overclock but i'm still looking for a place to upload them since this site doesn't allow more than a meg.

About The Electric Shock:

Ok, i'm plugging all my cables in right, like my mouse and keyboard first then i chucked in the power cable and all the rest, but then when i was putting in the LAN cable, i just pushed it in all the way then bang, i got the biggest electric shock i've ever got in my life, it was quite a large kick.

Before the shock i had a little scratch on the tip of the nackside of my finder, which was just a skinny little line. After the shock, it turned into like a big welt thing that went down about 2 hours after.

My questions are these

1. could the overclocking be the cause of this or not, i had the power plug back in but the PSU was turned off?

2. Why the hell do you think the shock gave me a red welt on my scratch (electricity escaping or what.. lol). I know your not docters but yeah, wierd.

3. Anyone else got a shock from a PC before.

I might also add that on my old athlon, i had to put my printer USB in twice today and each time i put it in, it sparks, like holy crap, am i some god of electricity or what!!!

Please read the whole thread before posting a reply!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

Other Stuff:

There was no where else really to put this, this site really needs a general hardware section... Admin, can we please get one?

Ok, i had done my aircon cooling session and i reached 4.17Ghz Stable (didn't do any big stability tests but stable through your average programs), i made some little clips aswell of the overclock but i'm still looking for a place to upload them since this site doesn't allow more than a meg.

About The Electric Shock:

Ok, i'm plugging all my cables in right, like my mouse and keyboard first then i chucked in the power cable and all the rest, but then when i was putting in the LAN cable, i just pushed it in all the way then bang, i got the biggest electric shock i've ever got in my life, it was quite a large kick.

Before the shock i had a little scratch on the tip of the nackside of my finder, which was just a skinny little line. After the shock, it turned into like a big welt thing that went down about 2 hours after.

My questions are these

1. could the overclocking be the cause of this or not, i had the power plug back in but the PSU was turned off?

2. Why the hell do you think the shock gave me a red welt on my scratch (electricity escaping or what.. lol). I know your not docters but yeah, wierd.

3. Anyone else got a shock from a PC before.

I might also add that on my old athlon, i had to put my printer USB in twice today and each time i put it in, it sparks, like holy crap, am i some god of electricity or what!!!

Please read the whole thread before posting a reply!!!


U need to check your cabling mate. I used to get a shock of my parallel printer cable - it turned out that where i had tucked some cables under the carpet (my main power cord and my printer cord)they had got the carpet grippers digging into them and providing 240v to the internal casing of my printer!!!

P.S:- Lets see some screenies/benches of your OC...very nice
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might do it tomorrow, i'll have to this comp ontop of my other comp again, it takes about 10mins to set up and then 10mins to get everything back to normal, i'll probably do it tomorrow and see if it really is that satble. I'll do sandra, 3dmark05 & 03 and i'll download super PI, What can you boot on XMS, just boot, doesn't matter about being stable just what can you boot on? is it 4.4 or something, stable enough to take a screenshot stable, not stable enough to enter windows then shutdown.

I really wanted to get 4.25 like you.

whats your core Voltage and Temps, also tell us other stuff that made your system get that high. Also, should i try uping the FSB termination Voltage from 1.2V to 1.4V or will that do nothing, also is it risky, it's only on the 925X chipsets i here, but do you know anything about it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

I might do it tomorrow, i'll have to this comp ontop of my other comp again, it takes about 10mins to set up and then 10mins to get everything back to normal, i'll probably do it tomorrow and see if it really is that satble. I'll do sandra, 3dmark05 & 03 and i'll download super PI, What can you boot on XMS, just boot, doesn't matter about being stable just what can you boot on? is it 4.4 or something, stable enough to take a screenshot stable, not stable enough to enter windows then shutdown.

I really wanted to get 4.25 like you.

whats your core Voltage and Temps, also tell us other stuff that made your system get that high. Also, should i try uping the FSB termination Voltage from 1.2V to 1.4V or will that do nothing, also is it risky, it's only on the 925X chipsets i here, but do you know anything about it.

My current stable is 4.4ghz, but that requires 1.625v vcore, so when i'm not gaming i run it at 4.25ghz on 1.5v vcore.

I'm not sure what my maximum bootable OC is, but i accidentaly booted it at 290fsbx17 = 4.9ghz and it didnt like that very much at all


I managed to hit 4.4ghz by increasing my AGP voltage to 1.7v, which seems to increase the power given to the northbridge thus helping a bit at higer FSBs.

My temps at 4.25ghz are 30oc idle and ~40oc load.

I have no idea what FSB termination voltage is....i say give it a go, and see if it helps.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

but did it load into windows or not


At 4.4ghz it works fine, at 4.9ghz it froze on the BIOS screen.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats are your temps. I might see what happens today (2:23am in aus) after i get atleast 8hours sleep, i'll probably have the results up in about 10-11 hours. Depends on my work, i have to edit this fishing thing for this guy and it's failry large job and i have till the 23rd to get it done but i should have results up tomorrow, what time is it in UK right now
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

Whats are your temps. I might see what happens today (2:23am in aus) after i get atleast 8hours sleep, i'll probably have the results up in about 10-11 hours. Depends on my work, i have to edit this fishing thing for this guy and it's failry large job and i have till the 23rd to get it done but i should have results up tomorrow, what time is it in UK right now

4.25ghz : 30oc Idle / ~40oC Load
4.40ghz : 38oc Idle / ~47oc Load

Its 16:30 here int he UK at the mo...not long till home time!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i should be getting around them becuase my temps on aircon are roughly the same. I'm taking the 2 extra fans off the heatsink to allow the aircon to cool better. I might put the comp cloder to the aircon aswell, it's only a really little airocn aswell but it does a good job.

My Plane is to get an old aircon or use the one i have if dad lets me, and i want to take it apart and put a big tube right down inside it and then feed the aircon into my case or straight onto my heatsink. If the heats up as it's going thorugh the pipe, then i'll bring the aircon closer and work something else out, the 2 problems are 1 noise, but thats not a real big issue, and 2, where does the water go that the airocn produces, i'll just get a tub or something.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,062 Posts
.. That must have sucked.. Electric shocks hurt. but I also agree with XMS wiring. May be like a Power strip, I had an old one and I plugged in a wire to the final slot and ZAP.. *shrug*
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The PSU was turned off though, when the PSU rejects the power it must be sending it down the back of the case or something, i think it was just a one off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
the welt was a small electrical burn, about the same a drinking coffee thats to hot and having that weird feeling on your tongue for an hour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
You on carpet? The reaon I say this is that if you've built up enough static in yourself you can get a fairly nasty joly when you finally do touch somethign that can ground you out. Also if there is a charge in your computer's case it can zap you really good. I installed a humidifier in my house because it was so dry I was getting painful shocks all of the time. Drier climates (like during winter) can produce some REALLY nasty static discharges, sometimes enough to cause hear rate increases and/or burns... really makes you feel like you've been electrocuted. The thing about the current you'll get from your PC or wall outlet is that that won;t hurt. It will feel really wierd and tingly and cause your muscles to contract, but not burn you as a human can;t create enough of a pull on it to make it arc off. Static electricity on the otherhand can jump up to an inch in normal buildups and it's the arcing of it through the air that hurts.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top