Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people think that electrons move very fast, speed of light, inside of an electrical circuit. But guess what?! They don't. Electrons move about a meter and a half per hour or .4cm per second! The reason then that things in electrical circuits are instant is because of the effect of the energy. Imagine that you had a pipe with ball bearing in it going from california to florida. If the pipe was full and you pull another ball bearing in it, then one would instantly pop out on the other side. But how fast are they moving? Pretty slow.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Can you tell me exactly where you got this theory from because it doesn't seem right. Because of the way metals are formed with a see of cations or anions forget which exactly and they are moving rapidly from each neutron to the other.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

Most people think that electrons move very fast, speed of light, inside of an electrical circuit. But guess what?! They don't. Electrons move about a meter and a half per hour or .4cm per second! The reason then that things in electrical circuits are instant is because of the effect of the energy. Imagine that you had a pipe with ball bearing in it going from california to florida. If the pipe was full and you pull another ball bearing in it, then one would instantly pop out on the other side. But how fast are they moving? Pretty slow.

Electrons move extremely fast and can actually exceed the speed of light. They also don't flow from negative to positive as is commonly believed. Electrons will flow from lower potential energy to higher potential energy. What's funny is that when you study electron physics, you'll see that engineers were too lazy to rewrite equations taking this into effect. That's why current and electron current are listed as opposite in direction. It's a lazy way of patching an incorrect equation with today's correct knowledge that electron flow is backwards. Anyways, here's the link showing that electrons do, in fact, travel at speeds in excess of the speed of light.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/phy99372.htm

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sheidow

Can you tell me exactly where you got this theory from because it doesn't seem right. Because of the way metals are formed with a see of cations or anions forget which exactly and they are moving rapidly from each neutron to the other.

You're correct and the reasoning is that metals have an extra valence electron that is easily knocked out of orbit. That's why metals are such a fantastic conductor of electricity.

• Rep+
Reactions: sheidow

·
Registered
732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

Electrons move extremely fast and can actually exceed the speed of light. They also don't flow from negative to positive as is commonly believed. Electrons will flow from lower potential energy to higher potential energy. What's funny is that when you study electron physics, you'll see that engineers were too lazy to rewrite equations taking this into effect. That's why current and electron current are listed as opposite in direction. It's a lazy way of patching an incorrect equation with today's correct knowledge that electron flow is backwards. Anyways, here's the link showing that electrons do, in fact, travel at speeds in excess of the speed of light.

Ya thats what I thought because all these years of school woulda been for nothing if everything I was taught was wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Well, isn't it the energy, but not the electrons themselves, that move at nearly the speed of light?

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Anyways, here's the link showing that electrons do, in fact, travel at speeds in excess of the speed of light.

Bah. That link misleads. The commonly accepted speed of light is 3X10^8(approx), the speed of light in a vaccum, but the speed of light can change depending on the properties of the material its in; it can even stop. If I follow the links logic correctly I move faster than the speed of light (when its stoped of course
)

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipnogg

Well, isn't it the energy that moves fast through the electrons, but not the electrons themselves that move at nearly the speed of light?

You are correct. See electrons have mass. Any mass traveling near or at the speed of light would have a infinate amount of energy! You would not be able to keep those electrons in wires!

I learned this in AP Physics.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

According to Enstien, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This theory has proved true in EVERY circumstance.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Quote:

You are correct. See electrons have mass. Any mass traveling near or at the speed of light would have a infinate amount of energy! You would not be able to keep those electrons in wires!

I learned this in AP Physics.

Yeah, I learned this in Conceptual Physics, though. (My dead Physics teacher always spelled it Fizix. Great guy.)

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sheidow

the electrons moving so fast is what allows the metal to be conductive.

The high speed is a result of having a weak bonded valence electron that is easily knocked out of it's orbit. It comes down to simple lattice structure of the element. Why do you think they impregnate silicon with electrons to make it semiconductive?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

According to Enstien, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This theory has proved true in EVERY circumstance.

Incorrect. In higher education, you'll learn that Quarks most definitely travel at speeds well in excess of the speed of light. (Quantum Physics and Quantum Mechanics will both teach you this) I believe the Electron Accelerator in Germany has also accelerated particles in excess of the speed of light. I'll have to look that up though, I haven't kept up with the latest in the industry since I left it. If I can find proof either way, I'll edit this and post a link.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then that would prove special relativity and relativity wrong...

Why don't you send a quark to a blackhole and see if it comes back.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinhead-227

Also note that there is a reason it's called the "theory of relativity" not the "law of relativity."

The methods necessary to prove it true would violate it.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
• Neutrinos

There are three types of neutrinos, the mu, electron and tau neutrinos. Neutrinos have no mass and no charge. They seldom interact and travel at the speed of light.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
There is a particle by the name of Zip, and it produces gzillion Nogg charges which can power up a gzillion lightbulbs for a gzillion year.

Pretty amazing. It moves at 5 times the speed of light.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
If someone is interested enough to do a little research, I believe this facility has published papers of Quarks traveling at speeds in excess of the speed of light. They achieve this by colliding 2 electrons together at 99.9% the speed of light and the resulting explosions release the quarks.
http://www.llnl.gov/str/JanFeb03/Soltz.html

1 - 20 of 36 Posts