Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should i elevate it on? its currently just on carpet, does a cardboard box work, whats the best thing i can use? (would prefet if i didnt have to go out and buy something, but i will if its a must.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Carpet absorbs the sound.
Put it on a hard surface, if anything.

what would you suggest? and how high?
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
He can't use sub spikes. There are feet attached to the ATP3's sub, and these 'feet' are injection-molded as part of the rear cabinet plastic holder.

It doesn't matter how high you elevate it.
Put it this way, the higher you raise it, it's just the sub getting higher and higher. The space between the sub cone itself and the surface you're firing it on does not change.

That is, unless you raise it on wooden poles.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,050 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

He can't use sub spikes. There are feet attached to the ATP3's sub, and these 'feet' are injection-molded as part of the rear cabinet plastic holder.

It doesn't matter how high you elevate it.
Put it this way, the higher you raise it, it's just the sub getting higher and higher. The space between the sub cone itself and the surface you're firing it on does not change.

That is, unless you raise it on wooden poles.

Oh yeah, I kept thinking DIY the whole time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

He can't use sub spikes. There are feet attached to the ATP3's sub, and these 'feet' are injection-molded as part of the rear cabinet plastic holder.

It doesn't matter how high you elevate it.
Put it this way, the higher you raise it, it's just the sub getting higher and higher. The space between the sub cone itself and the surface you're firing it on does not change.

That is, unless you raise it on wooden poles.

what if it was 3 feet above my head?


should i use a small sheet of glass? this cardboard box? a book?
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
That would be absurd.

Subs are supposed to remain on the floor and stay 'out of sight'.

Get a plank of wood, and lift the entire woofer up.

Get it to sit on the wood, so it fires onto a solid surface.

What I did with mine was to let the feet face a wall, and the cone fire directly into a corner.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,720 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Carpet absorbs the sound.
Put it on a hard surface, if anything.

Thanks for the tip BTW! Just put a piece of spare plywood under my sub (was on carpet) and it's a little punchier and more robust! THANKS!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,520 Posts
Piece of sheetrock, plywood/mdf preferred, slab of marble/granite, you get the picture. They also sell actual isolation pads made for this very purpose.
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Or you can do away with all that and let it fire into a corner.

The ATP3 is built so that you can do this without obstructing air ports or the woofer itself.
Try it and report back, see how you like it.

It should improve the punch quite a bit.
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Those.

As long as it's a solid surface.

Plastic is doable, but meh. Gonna sound like crap firing off plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Or you can do away with all that and let it fire into a corner.

The ATP3 is built so that you can do this without obstructing air ports or the woofer itself.
Try it and report back, see how you like it.

It should improve the punch quite a bit.

fire away into a corner?
this desk is funnilly shaped:)

ive noticed that having it about 6 inches away from the wall reduces how much my wall shakes... significantly, and in my opinion, sounds better.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top