Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, so I have a few questions.

I'm rebuilding my second/backup machine again and have a few questions about airflow and adding fans.

My case is a coolermaster 330 for the second case. It's a bit on the small side compared to my previous cases (690, tt armor)... and before hand, I was running a standard PSU.

I'm switching over to a 520HX in this smaller case to reduce cable clutter and move more air by default.

There is, by default, placement for three fans. 2 120mm on the case, and duct on the side where I could possibly mount another fan.

here's the case:

So, we have the intake 120 on the lower front of the case... and the exhaust 120 on the back. I have 2 medium speed yate loons that I'll be tossing into those spots.

My question is this: would there be a noted benefit of adding a second intake on the bottom of the case, and an exhaust above the 5.25 drive bay ahead of the PSU?

like this:

I've nothing against building a duct for the top vent to pull cooler air in and down over the processor/hsf and leaving out the bottom intake... pressure would be a bit off, I would think.

·
Matisse
3,808 Posts
I have the exact same case and have also been thinking about putting an exhaust at the top.

However, I am wondering the same thing. Will it bring any benefit, or would it just screw with the airflow?

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
Iadded one to my case and it helped a lot. It was called Adding a Top Fan to My Case. I'll add a link when I get home.
It would make sense to exhaust the hot air from the top, but I just wonder if it wouldn't interrupt the flow across the motherboard to the exhaust, ya know? I'm thinking of grabbing a fan controller and running the exhaust and bottom intake (if I add one) at a bit higher speeds than front intake/top exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about running this setup:

2 intakes on the front (top intake running faster than the lower intake), 1 exhaust on the back, 1 exhaust added onto the side panel?

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
I personally think the best would be two intakes and then the exhaust at the back and the exhaust at the top. The fan at the bottom doesn't seem too important since you have two fans in front. And a fan controller is nice because you can lower your fans down when you don't need them running full bore.

Here is my work log for my top fan.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH
View Post

I personally think the best would be two intakes and then the exhaust at the back and the exhaust at the top. The fan at the bottom doesn't seem too important since you have two fans in front. And a fan controller is nice because you can lower your fans down when you don't need them running full bore.

Here is my work log for my top fan.

thanks for the link +rep

I currently don't have two fans in the front, but am considering it. If I do, I'll have room for 1 5.25bay device (dvdrw) and will have to find a good 3.5" fan controller.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I added another 120mm fan in the 5.25 bay as intake on a spare CM330 case that I have lying around. I used zip ties on each side of the 120mm fan. I also thought of adding a exhaust fan on the top as well. trogalicious: Thanks for bringing this up!

IEATFISH: Thanks for build log! I'll have a friend practice cutting out a 120mm hole on a junky Compusa case first. Then I can have him do the CM 330 case.
I don't do well with power tools.

+rep for both of you!

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to be taping pulling the motherboard this weekend, taping off the top, and hopefully getting the top hole cut out. I'm going to try to fabricate a knock-off 4 in 3 device bay like what I have in my cm690 for the 330. If it works, I'll post specs/measurements. My goal is go have the extra 120mm fan in the lower 3 of the 4 5.25 bays and the second exhaust in the top of the case.

More updates to come.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts