Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently become more interested in internet privacy/anonymity and was wondering if it is possible to be completely anonymous online?

I know people use public proxy servers and things like TOR but they aren't completely anonymous. Maybe up to 80%.

Can setting up your own elite proxy server really give you complete online anonymity?

What do you guys use to make sure whatever you download/send/receive/do online stays private?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Completely anonymous?

If you surf the web enough... no, it is not possible. Research has shown that companies with enough data could construct your online profile. If you ever slip on hiding any info, they can trace you. While no one is probably doing this now, it is possible.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohaievan View Post
What about with sending e-mails/files? Can that be completely anonymous?
E-mails? Definitely not. An email is basically analogous to sending a post card through the postal system.

You could technically minimize exposure, but this would require access to both sender and recipient configurations.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
http://www.overclock.net/networking-...ce-review.html

Never looked into anon email. I understand the services usually cost money. (Tracking money is often very easy to do.) But I do recall reading about them in a 2600 magazine. Its not impossible to be anonymous online, but planning is important.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts