Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sorta what happens when I have too much free time and a really big noisey fan. Cost of mod 12$ USD

The Specs,
Phenom 9600 BE @ 2.3ghz
ASUS M3A78-EM
Off Brand 2 gigs of DDR2 800 PC 6400
emachine case
250gb 7200 Seagate Stata HDD
Off Brand dvd burner
Corsair 650W
The people it was built for decided to cheap out on a case. The phenom was getting to be 53c on prime95 without the side panel on because of 0 fans besides the cpu fan and power supply fan. So I figured something had to be done. This took about half a day due to not having the correct tools. The fan is powered by turning on a light switch currently. It drops the temps to a jaw dropping 33c with prime95.

The fan.
Attachment 100524
The case (MicoATX if I'm not mistaken)
Attachment 100525
Preview of my cable management. Some of the cables on that psu are 2 times longer then the case is tall.
Attachment 100526
The mounting location for the fan.
Attachment 100527
Basic Idea
Attachment 100528

More pics in next post.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had to cut out the little barb things due to them making the air go straight up.
Attachment 100535
Hot glued and screwed it onto the side panel then put on the cover.
Attachment 100537
Finished product.
Attachment 100538

The fan is so powerful without the computer on just having the fan plugged in it actually acts like a intake and exhaust having air come out of the computer and pushing stuff off the desk. It lowered it by about 15c without even having a exhaust fan.
Sorry for fuzzy pictures was all done with camera phone.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
That fan is just ridiculous....haha nice job though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sickened1
View Post

That fan is just ridiculous....haha nice job though.

Thanks its loud as hell. We put it on a lightswitch on the wall so it doesn't stay on. The moniter also flips out when it gets too close.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Said like 50cfm on the box but I bet its way more. Its blowing directly on the cpu but the bottom pci slot shield thing isnt there and it was pushing cards off the table. Its a vent for a bathroom.

·
Premium Member
16,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolting
View Post

Said like 50cfm on the box but I bet its way more. Its blowing directly on the cpu but the bottom pci slot shield thing isnt there and it was pushing cards off the table. Its a vent for a bathroom.

yeah i bet it's way WAY more. My little scythes put out 120cfm. Maybe it was in cubic metres per minute or something...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cools it by 20c paired with stock hs, psu fan, and a single very very old 80mm that is completely silent (I only know it works because it caught my finger when I was testing it and it wasnt pushing much for air) But I would have to say for the little bit of time it took and the 12 dollars spent on the fan it was well worth it. If I could afford to I would try and get one the worked as a exhaust as well as another one of those and put it on my sig rig. Hell my Rosewill Z775 and all 3 of my case fans don't work as well as that single fan. I would love to see one that was a exhaust and I would take some vaccum hoses and maybe some shroud type of deal and make it run straight through my Z775. Could probably be done for 35 bucks tops.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking of just for the hell of it spray painting it all black and putting a blue cathod behind that white cover thing. Would put a switch panel on the front of the case to control the fan and lights (Would be made so computer didn't need to be on).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts