Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source [My UE subscriber email]
Quote:
Today, Epic has opened up Unreal Engine 4 to the world! UE4 is now available for download in its entirety, including the full features, tools and the entire C++ source code for PC, Mac, iOS, and Android through a subscription plan. You can subscribe to UE4 for $19 per month, and ship games with UE4 commercially by paying 5% of gross revenue from product sales to users.

The engine includes lots of free content, including template games, sample games, content examples and more from the built-in Marketplace.

In UE4, all engine and game code are written in C++ using Microsoft Visual Studio (available free online) or Apple's Xcode. Designers can build code-free games using Blueprint visual scripting, but there's no UnrealScript, C# or JavaScript. GitHub is hosting the complete C++ source code for community-driven sharing and collaboration.

To get started, visit https://www.unrealengine.com.

NEW SUPPORT CHANNELS:
We've launched all-new UE4 forums and community support channels. Since the new forums are a clean slate please create a new account right now to reserve your unique display name. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
Once you create an account, you can post on the new forums, AnswerHub and the Wiki.
You are invited to check out our new user FAQ, official documentation, video tutorials and everything else available today.

IF YOU'RE USING THE ORIGINAL UDK:
You're free to continue using UDK and releasing products as planned.
You can continue using the UDK forums with your existing login.
UE3 docs remain available on the archived Unreal Developer Network.
If you're early in development or starting a new project, we recommend moving to UE4.

Thanks for being part of the Unreal development community. We hope you'll join us to experience a new generation together with Unreal Engine 4!

Sincerely,

Your friends at Epic

• Rep+
Reactions: go4life

·
Zeon
601 Posts
Now the wait for the new Unreal Tournament
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
852 Posts
so for 19$ i can grab a copy of UE4, then immediately cancel, giving me the source code of which I can compile with emscripten for asm.js to run on the web

GIMMIE

·
Zeon
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicClocker View Post

Posted in another thread
Sadly, wanted to see a new one.
Hopefully it's just a PR move
sad-smiley-002.gif

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Is this the first availability to devs or just the first availability for the masses? "Next-Gen" is already here, kind of late to release now, no?

·
Premium Member
11,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadope View Post

Is this the first availability to devs or just the first availability for the masses? "Next-Gen" is already here, kind of late to release now, no?
Last-Gen arguably didn't really take off until the Unreal 3 engine games started hitting the shelves (Gears of War 1 in particular)

We have a long time until we see games build on recently made engines that take full advantage of the latest techniques and new consoles.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
As a Unity3D developer our forum members private mails and chats have exploded today. $19 a month subscription and 5% royalties no strings... and source code?!?!?!...OMG!

Also Unity of course announced upcoming Unity 5, now we know why it got announced... damage control, Holy smokes.
biggrin.gif

I know many of you may not get it or you may, this is like winning the lottery to many devs...good things don't normally happen to us... lol.
wink.gif

Quote:

No it's fully available now to all indies that want it. NOW! I'm downloading it now.
wheee.gif
wheee.gif
wheee.gif

·
:)
11,146 Posts
Cool
smile.gif

Wonder what games we will see on UE4 first.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
I just hope it does not take to long before there is an "free" version (like the old UDK) so you can learn the ropes before you make an financial investment.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
11,380 Posts
About time, Epic. And it does indeed look epic
smile.gif

I'm guessing Rocksteady's Batman Arkham Knight is powered by UE4 from looking at it.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Quote:

BOOM! Crytek in reaction is doing nearly the same for $9.90 a month
bigeyedsmiley.png
Crytec has had a bad reputation as "Indie developer Toxic" in the past, but damn...

/checking date for April fools day.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

Is this different from UDK? I went to download, but I have to subscribe first
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
UDK is the development kit for unreal engine 3. Unreal engine 4 is a totaly new engine/development environment that was written from scratch. They been making if for many years (some parts where made as far back as 2003 but in 2008 they started to put it together in earnest) so its understandable that they wan't to get a bit more money out of it before they make it available as an "free" version.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I'm browsing through the UE4 material now and I am really liking the ease of entry into this compared to other game engines. Definitely a rewrite of the game engine from the ground up. Seems they took the best from other engines as well.

Of note is the new Marketstore which is one of Unity3D's strong points with their App Store for 3D content, kit modules and game libraries.

Much of the sample content is free to download once you subscribe. The quality is nice.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i saw some tutorials with a sample project using blueprints for flight, but I haven't been able to find the package anywhere?
anyone else found this?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.