Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a big fan of the series, owning every title since shogon (never liked shogun, this was back when I was playing Rollery Coaster Tycoon though). I've been through some pretty rough performance issues ranging from so many units lagging my athlon xp down in medieval. To graphics card issues in rome total war. Medieval II seems to be the only one that ran great, but I didn't play that one as much as Rome Total War.

Now we have Empire Total War. The demo ran great on my machine, with everything turned up to the highest settings. Then I buy the release the other day over steam.

Right off the bat, the empire view that is civ esqe runs a little choppy, but I've heard that this is common, and is completely playable. Then when I'm in battles they can studder so bad that it is unplayable. I'm going to ignore the random crashes that occur enough to make it frustrating. I set the graphics settings down to the automatic, which are high, but not with all the eye candy like I would expect with a gtx 260, helped at first, still choppy but now about 10 minutes into battles fps drops so bad it is unplayable. Then I noticed that vista didn't have alot of available memory to use. So I disabled page filing, and now see that resource manager is saying that there is about 1.5GB availble. This helped the most, but every so often. About every other battle that I go into and it doesn't crash, it will drop fps about 15-20 minutes into battle.

Now if you can relate to me, this is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING, as there is no component related issues. My sig rig should destroy this game, or at least be ten times more playable.

The only thing that I can think of causing issues, is vista 32bit, with 4 GB of RAM and 896 MB of video ram, not distrubuting the available resources appropriately. I do have an option of going from vista ultimate 32bit, to vista business 64bit. But I would rather not have to reformat so soon after doing so about 2 month's ago.

Am I alone in these performance issues, or can anyone else relate to me.
Can anybody think of any resolutions to this problem?

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Ummm....that does sound really annoying. I to have had troubles with Total War games in the past (had to disable cinematics during battles in Med2 and boy did that take a long time to find that text file and setting)

I'm really not sure what you issue is, if you have latest drivers, and you have that much memory free, it seems like it should work. Although on quite a few occasions I have seen my RAM usage go above 1.5GB.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having similar problems myself, although mostly just crashing... half the time I don't even get the BSOD, I have to reset and start from the last save.
I hear a new patch is coming out soon, hopefully this will fix the majority of problems, I would have thought that my rig would be able to dance all over this one, but at the moment it looks like as though my system isn't up to scratch!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reformatting with a fresh install seemed to fix the crashes. But I'm still getting disturbing performance problems. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that new driver's/ game update will fix my issues.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JPSwaynos
View Post

I've been a big fan of the series, owning every title since shogon (never liked shogun, this was back when I was playing Rollery Coaster Tycoon though). I've been through some pretty rough performance issues ranging from so many units lagging my athlon xp down in medieval. To graphics card issues in rome total war. Medieval II seems to be the only one that ran great, but I didn't play that one as much as Rome Total War.

Now we have Empire Total War. The demo ran great on my machine, with everything turned up to the highest settings. Then I buy the release the other day over steam.

Right off the bat, the empire view that is civ esqe runs a little choppy, but I've heard that this is common, and is completely playable. Then when I'm in battles they can studder so bad that it is unplayable. I'm going to ignore the random crashes that occur enough to make it frustrating. I set the graphics settings down to the automatic, which are high, but not with all the eye candy like I would expect with a gtx 260, helped at first, still choppy but now about 10 minutes into battles fps drops so bad it is unplayable. Then I noticed that vista didn't have alot of available memory to use. So I disabled page filing, and now see that resource manager is saying that there is about 1.5GB availble. This helped the most, but every so often. About every other battle that I go into and it doesn't crash, it will drop fps about 15-20 minutes into battle.

Now if you can relate to me, this is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING, as there is no component related issues. My sig rig should destroy this game, or at least be ten times more playable.

The only thing that I can think of causing issues, is vista 32bit, with 4 GB of RAM and 896 MB of video ram, not distrubuting the available resources appropriately. I do have an option of going from vista ultimate 32bit, to vista business 64bit. But I would rather not have to reformat so soon after doing so about 2 month's ago.

Am I alone in these performance issues, or can anyone else relate to me.
Can anybody think of any resolutions to this problem?

You are experiencing this because the game has horrible memory leaks and bugs, which are still yet to be addressed.

One out of a thousand examples is; I cant even declare war on the Ottoman Empire without freezing the game, regardless in what manner!

I have been a Total War fan for years, and after I paid $56 for this and got an incomplete bug-fest, I was quite displeased.

They go so far as to use slow, annoying, problematic Steam, just to reduce potential piracy, but after this pathetic release, no wonder people pirate software.

Very disappointed in Creative Assembly. A top tier developer with an awesome game that cannot be enjoyed.

·
Registered
234 Posts
(specs in sig)
In battles, I can get a decent ~30avg fps on high with most of the bling turned on (minus AA) at 1650x1080.

Campaign map is pot luck - usually starts ok but in later campaign time as your empire gets bigger it gets progressively more sluggish. Selecting naval units is especially dicey or certain cities, you get what looks like a freeze but after anything from 5 to 30 seconds it snaps back to normal. I have no idea why campaign map w/ civ4 graphics gets so sluggish but 3D battles with thousands of individual men, musket and cannon smoke etc. run ok.

Loading times are shocking. My system drive is an older Seagate 320Gb, stock standard 7200rpm but its not THAT slow so in that regard its disappointing. I'm usually one of the first ones into a L4D or COD4/5 game so I know its not THAT bad a hard drive.

And oh Ivereli, this game is heavily intel CPU biased, I've seen benchies that show the top of the line phenoms tying with my E6600 at stock 2.4Ghz... it also does not use more than 2 cores. And if it makes you feel any better, I get CTDs at an alarming rate in late campaign map. Early-middle period its relatively stable (i.e. only crashes every 5-10 hours or so). As a result I've never actually finished a grand campaign properly i.e. I'm undisputed ruler of the known world by around 1750 but I can't actually finish off to 1799 due to campaign map being so sluggish, crashing etc. - like all TW games vanilla AI can't deal with blitzkrieg tactics, by 1740 my Prussian empire had WWII Germany 1942 boundaries lol, sent six full stacks to India and by 1750 I've wiped everyone out in the old world except for ottomans, and control all of India. I'm going to try out Imperial Splendour mod which from all accounts makes it MUCH tougher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Despite all the complaints from folk I've been reading about this game... I have had a very good experience with this game on my old system. Now that I've done a system overhaul... sadly I am experiencing more problems.. one particular that is unbearable. More annoying than anything the World map is like like a glitchy mess when scrolling and zooming in out quickly. It's rather consistant and I had no problems at all until I did the upgrade. Pretty dissapointing. I have read about ATI drivers being buggy... are these the types of people talk about... playing this game rather seemlessly without any annoyances with slightly lower graphical settings almost made it more enjoyable for me.

The old setup:

Asus Crosshair
AMD Phenom x4 9600
3GB OCZ DDR2 800
eVga 8800GTX OC
Velco Raptor 300gb
Windows XP Pro 32bit

New Setup:

Asus Crosshair Formula !V
AMD PhenomII x6 1090t
4GB Supertalent DDR3 1600
2x XFX Radeon 5770
Velco Raptor 300gb
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Any opionins on what the most likely cause of this is... it's the campagin map and battles... it's not like artifacts or anything ... it's just like glitchy when scrolling the map or battles... Terrain flashing and what not... and it does not stay resident... only when in motion. I have the lateset drivers for everything that I know of. I'm not really familiar with ATI or EVER owned an ATI card up until this point and so far.. I'm not very pleased. (I guess I'm assuming this is the underlying cause of the problem.) I suppose it could be operating system related too.. I'm new to W7 and as I figured, am already missing XP. ::sigh:: sorry for the rant this turned into.. Just sad this great game is performing like crap after burning a hole in my pocket book.

Oh and as an Afterthought... How big of a deal is the monitor? Kinda newbie question I know.. but on both setups I'm running it on a 42' Toshiba Regza 1080p 120hz LCD... on the old setup rand DVI to HDMI plug, whereas the new setup has the HDMI out.. Overall though.. What would that do to gaming as compared to a say my 22' Samgsung? I was surprised again how well the older setup performed as compared to the newer one.. even without the AA or AF.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.