Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm currently trying to figure out if my motherboard supports automatic MDI/MDI-X. Long story short, I need a way to connect my PC to my MacBook Pro, IP over FireWire failed (no support on Windows 7), so I thought of creating a crossover Ethernet cable from an ordinary Ethernet cable when I stumbled upon automatic MDI/MDI-X.

How do I enable it (if available) or how do I tell if it is working, I checked device properties on Advanced tab for anything related to MDI/MDI-X but nothing found.

BTW, Ethernet controller is the generic "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller".

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Not sure how to check on the system.. I do know that auto mdix uses that 802.3u auto negotiation protocol, so make sure you have the "Speed & Duplex" set to "Auto" on at least one of the NIC cards.

Is that MSI-790FX-GD70 the motherboard with the NIC you're talking about?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Most recent devices support this, so I'd be amazed if a RT gigabit wouldn't support it.

• Rep+
Reactions: avattz

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I just copied some files and they seem to be intact after transfer. It would be nice if there was a way that showed it was active for reassurance... I tend to get paranoid about the little things.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
1) Connect PC's together with standard patch cable
2) Check if you can ping each other (don't forget static IP in the same subnet)
3) ???
4) Profit.

Generally Auto MDI/MDIX is as it states, automatic.
If you are using a crossover cable, you have no need for MDI/MDIX functionality.

If you use a standard patch cable between PC's and at least one of them supports this technology, then your link will function correctly. This requires no intervention from yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts