Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post here if you have a penchant for getting maximum performance out of the lowest amount of watts, undervolting your parts while squeezing maximum performance out of them! If you have a low-watt efficient Power Supply and are proud to show it off!
thumb.gif

Here is my current Ivy Bridge i7 system, powered by a Seasonic G-360 80+ Gold 360 Watt PSU:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1126863/real-world-power-usage-user-submitted-values/170#post_18164451

(also listed in my signature)

A lot of people are not aware still that high-powered power supplies are gradually becoming a thing of the past, except for older technology or quad-fire or similar set ups. I would like to celebrate improving efficiency and increase awareness of low-watt PSUs becoming more relevant. (Soon we'll be able to drive our computers entirely on a single small solar panel's worth of watts, right?
wink.gif
One can dream! )

A power supply is at its peak efficiency at around 50% of its rated Wattage. Which means, for example, that if your system usually uses around 200 Watts in games, your optimal power supply would be a 400-Watt one. Recent technological advances result in such systems quite easily. And if you're not using the top end graphics cards, your in-game usage can easily be even lower, such as 150 Watts or less. Processors themselves are very efficient now, and with Haswell around the corner, I foresee 250-Watt PSUs for systems with integrated graphics being completely normal.

~ Enthusiast List ~

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Interesting thread, I've build a few very similar systems this year (up until February-March mostly, started with a build for myself and friend and ended up populating a gaming room with virtually identical systems) that consisted of an OCd 2500K, Gene-Z, OCd GTX 570 DCII using Cougar's SE 400W power supply... to my knowledge they're all (still) working flawlessly, awaiting VGA upgrades.
smile.gif

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds great! I still get a surprised replies sometimes when I recommend anything under 500 Watts for people looking to build something with an Ivy i5 and the latest nVidia / Radeon graphics.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
You should rename as an international club since OCN is international. That you can call yourselves IEEE
tongue.gif

And nevermind the fact that I have a 750W psu...
rolleyes.gif

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MME1122 View Post

You should rename as an international club since OCN is international. That you can call yourselves IEEE
tongue.gif

And nevermind the fact that I have a 750W psu...
rolleyes.gif
Yes, but that would be misleading!
wink.gif

My second computer has a 750-watt PSU, which I got because it was a great one and on a sale I could not ignore (plus I had a GTX 580). I will phase it out eventually.

Are you subscribing to this school of thought, or just suggesting a clever name?

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
My CPU is running a 30% overclock on below stock voltage. Does that count?
wink.gif

Can't say the rest of my system qualifies. Though my recommendations should compensate.
wink.gif

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post

My CPU is running a 30% overclock on below stock voltage. Does that count?
wink.gif

Can't say the rest of my system qualifies. Though my recommendations should compensate.
wink.gif
It's the thought that counts! The rest will catch up
smile.gif

Also, love your signature. I had actually discussed it with a friend and laughed how Physics majors will immediately find it funny (as well as anything trivial that can be explained in Physics terms) ^,^

---
P.S.: I had a Phenom II 555 that I unlocked to 955 (4-cores). Had to use K10STAT to overclock and downvolt. It was super efficient! Spent forever tweaking a 3.7GHz profile, boosting per core, at the lowest possible voltages. It was like a real physics lab experiment, as I had 4 such profiles with various top boosts.

·
13,103 Posts
I have an under-clocked and under-volted Q6600 + ATI 5670 HTPC running off a little 220 W supply. No power usage numbers though, I haven't bought a meter yet.

I'm also working on a car-puter build with an A8-3870k to save needing a separate GPU and that will be under-clocked and under-volted as well off a DC-DC 200 W Pico PSU.

·
13,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenEleven View Post

Hello, and welcome!
Thanks, I figure those two almost make up for my Bulldozer
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
This is one of those smaller OCN clubs (which are better than the big ones)
I wish I could join but unfortunately I don't really qualify apart from the Samsung Greens and using a few Green HDD's.

When I bought my PSU I had 2x 6950's in mind and I looked around and generally a 650W PSU was suggested. I found a 750W that was too hard to pass up so I went with that.
It all went to lower power usage from there, I got a 6870 because the 6950 was a bit too $$$ at the time, I then swapped the 6870 for a 6850 and crossfired two of them. I'm now sitting on a 7950 as per my rig.
I've also been through many different TDP's of processors, I started with an E8500 and then went to a Q9400 and now this 3570k. The weird thing was the Q9400 didn't produce a bit more heat compared to the E8500 (a bit less actually) and it used a drop more vcore too which I found rather strange.

Anyway, that's my rig so far. Hence why my PSU is so large compared to the rest of my system. I guess you can never be too sure, who knows one day I might get a job and get say 3x 7950's or something
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I had a Q9550 and a HD 5850 running on a 300W 80Plus (Shuttle PC60 FWIR) in my old Shuttle SG45H7 about 3 years ago. It also had a 160GB Intel X25-M G2, 1TB HDD, and 4x2GB DDR2-800. People thought I was nuts but the system ran perfectly for over 2 years before I sold it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Quote:

Does this mean you are in or that you are no longer subscribing to this school of thought? (looking at your 600-watt PSU)
wink.gif
The last PSUs I used were 850W (Cooler Master Silent Pro M850) and now 600W but they were included with my case(s), so there's nothing I can do since it's a hassle to sell and buy needlessly.

But I believe that overspending on overqualified PSUs is a stupendous waste of money. If it weren't included I'd be wary of going higher than a quality 400-450 watter.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I love your school of thought here but I`m a power waster. Dual 400watt TEC`s, dual 670`s, 3770K with a Seasonic X-1250. I might have to build something small and sweet in the near future to make myself feel less guilty. I`ll join up at that point, please don`t hate me now.
redface.gif

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is not a hating thread! just hoping to inspire people more than being preachy about the global benefits of energy saving. Thanks for stopping by!

By the way, I was able to run a 7970 in my main rig since my GTX 670 sadly went bad and it was a good time to do some tests. Not as efficient as the GTX 670, but donwvolted a tad in Afterburner, I was able to run everything fine and use ~220 watts in some of my games (though GW2 went to 241 Watts from the wall, which equates to ~219 Watts after efficiency calculation) at 1000MHz core / 1500MHz memory.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Quote:

This is not a hating thread! just hoping to inspire people more than being preachy about the global benefits of energy saving. Thanks for stopping by!
By the way, I was able to run a 7970 in my main rig since my GTX 670 sadly went bad and it was a good time to do some tests. Not as efficient as the GTX 670, but donwvolted a tad in Afterburner, I was able to run everything fine and use ~220 watts in some of my games (though GW2 went to 241 Watts from the wall, which equates to ~219 Watts after efficiency calculation) at 1000MHz core / 1500MHz memory.
I know you are not haters, but at least my Seasonic is running in its sweet spot of 90 % eff. Hey AXI if you are around I will see you on Saturday. Keep saving !
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Phaedrus, Thank You for always pushing me in the direction of cost and efficiency for power supplies purchases over the past few years. I can't even begin to imagine how many times I've linked your posts & threads on OCN and other forums. ElevenEleven, Thank You for your messages on the G 360 and posts here and elsewhere about it as well (JG/SPCR).
It looks like I'll be picking up an i7 3770 instead of the i3 2105 I had planned on going with, but I have a feeling an i7 and GTX 650 Ti won't push the G 360 hard enough to enter this club lol. I suppose I could always overvolt, so here's to hoping
smile.gif

Quote:

A preliminary welcome and good luck with your new PSU!
You should look for deals on 3770s - I've been seeing them on sales for $278 periodically (and microcenter has it for $260 + tax). And I've read about NCIX price-matching Microcenter processor prices, so would be worth inquiring.
I already found a 3770 non K for $220
Edit: Scored a 3770K for $265
smile.gif

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A preliminary welcome and good luck with your new PSU!

You should look for deals on 3770s - I've been seeing them on sales for $278 periodically (and microcenter has it for $260 + tax). And I've read about NCIX price-matching Microcenter processor prices, so would be worth inquiring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts