Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:


Don't freak out or anything. But all that time you spent building a DIY in-wall USB charger may have been for naught. Of course, you've gained a useful learning experience and potentially gotten a lesson in the dangers of electricity, but you could have simply ordered this TruPower UCS outlet from FastMac, which packs the same two USB charging ports as the DIY outlet, along with two standard power outlets for your other power-hungry devices. Best of all, it only costs the same ten bucks that the DIY option would have set you back, but it looks like it won't start shipping until sometime early next year.

SOURCE

I'm going to buy a few when they come out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
Great idea. It could be handy for a lot of devices. Even more down the road once more places adopt them because electronics could become cheaper to own not needing a power supply to charge.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,672 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,378 Posts
Boy I just loved the idiot responses to the post there that said it did not use electricity unless something was plugged in. The responses of "It has to have a switch in it" and all that crap. Geeez it is just simple and basic...if there is no load...it doesn't use electricity. But I really do like this outlet. I did see one good response there that said that the outlet was installed upside down and was not to code. I too continually see outlets that have the ground lug on the bottom, by NEC (National Electrical Code) the ground lug is supposed to be on the top...not the bottom. But I do want some of these outlets...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mr_Torch
View Post

I too continually see outlets that have the ground lug on the bottom, by NEC (National Electrical Code) the ground lug is supposed to be on the top...not the bottom. But I do want some of these outlets...



Ground lug up top is antiquated and really was only code for hospital environments, probably due to the massive influx of arc-fault breakers. I hear it's still common practice, however, to place ground lugs on the top end of the receptacle on switch legs.

I think it makes sense for the lug to go up top, don't get me wrong.
 

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
now you just need to wire that thing up to your home entertainment center, and you got something usefull
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,378 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by captthunderpnts
View Post

Ground lug up top is antiquated and really was only code for hospital environments, probably due to the massive influx of arc-fault breakers. I hear it's still common practice, however, to place ground lugs on the top end of the receptacle on switch legs.

I think it makes sense for the lug to go up top, don't get me wrong.

I would have to look at a current NEC book to see if there are any amended changes since the last book I bought back in 1996.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mr_Torch
View Post

I would have to look at a current NEC book to see if there are any amended changes since the last book I bought back in 1996.


As of 2004, it's not a requirement, merely a suggestion :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mr_Torch
View Post

I did see one good response there that said that the outlet was installed upside down and was not to code. I too continually see outlets that have the ground lug on the bottom, by NEC (National Electrical Code) the ground lug is supposed to be on the top...not the bottom. But I do want some of these outlets...


But but but. Then they wouldn't be a face that is shocked!
I like the faces.

I could use a couple of these. I love how most phones come with the usb cable/power adapter now.
 

·
BGP is my favorite
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
Only thing I see wrong with that sometime in the future, if they decide to attach that to some computer or network kind of thing. Then it would be a direct connection, and could be used to steal information, etc.

But other than that it is a cool idea. Plug the Ipod in to recharge without getting the little adapter, same with other things like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,277 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by liermam View Post
Apple has been selling these for quite a while. Naturally, it costs about 30$ more for the logo...
Thats because they don't sell products they aren't proud of, they could never feel comfortable selling a 10$ piece of crap USB outlet, because there is no logo.

(sarcasm?)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,139 Posts
My devices never have long enough USB cables, nor do I feel that safe about plugging them directly into an outlet.

I always have surge protectors anyways.

And for that matter, my computer is in my room...and I have to many USB ports for all my stuff anyways...soo...

Not saying it's useless, but it could be better if it was a portable solution maybe? Like that belkin linked earlier in the thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
All I heard was slicing wires and making mistakes until I had a really long USB cable from my computer in the basement to the HTPC way upstairs. Why?

Because it would amuse me so.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top