Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing tetris!

Quote:

Sure, we've seen Tetris pop up in unusual places before, but never on a liquid 3DTV. While rows of droplets don't actually create the image here -- it's merely "painted" onto the falling H2O pixels -- computer-controlled solenoid valves can cycle 50-droplet curtains of water at up to 60Hz, making for a video-capable projector screen. See it in action after the break, or hit up the source link for a deep dive into how it works.

Can't wait to see this as a massive art installation!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
wow

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
It's over 9000!!!!

That aside, pretty amazing

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Pretty cool, but practical usage? I mean, Tetris is hard enough on a single layer, but controlling three layers at a time is just gonna be a mindf**k.

Also, I noticed a distinct lack of sound coming from the water droplets. Seriously? That's supposed to be silent? 9000 droplets p/second must make a considerable amount of noise.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [Adz] View Post
Pretty cool, but practical usage? I mean, Tetris is hard enough on a single layer, but controlling three layers at a time is just gonna be a mindf**k.

Also, I noticed a distinct lack of sound coming from the water droplets. Seriously? That's supposed to be silent? 9000 droplets p/second must make a considerable amount of noise.
droplet onto sponge = silent

·
Registered
884 Posts
Tetris was a poor example, because having 3 LCD screens side by side would have been MUCH better. Or even having three levels loaded side by side onto the same screen.

Anyway, this could have its uses I suppose. Might be a cheaper way to make large screens for 3D advertising. I don't know. Maybe. Kind of pointless imo currently.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZTR1760 View Post
Cool, reminds me of that 3d presenter thing in the show "bones"
Haha, that's what I thought too. It does look pretty sweet.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
Haha, that's what I thought too. It does look pretty sweet.
Haha, I get it, sweet, bones, sweets...

Anyhow, that's kind of cool.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Title is very misleading. Its a projector SCREEN made of falling water droplets....which isnt that amazing.

It's not a projection TV.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by [Adz] View Post
I think that art using this tech would be pretty beautiful to behold - not everything has to have a "practical" application.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
This is the new Gimmick! Yay, lets all go out and buy liquid droplet projection screens!

Avatar 2 will be made in this format. It will make $1 billion.
A bunch of movies will follow.
The ps3 and Xbox360 will be compatible with the new TV's says CEO's.
Users don't buy it because it sacrifices certain forms of quality for another effect and it costs a **** ton.

c wutidid thar?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts