Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Just as the MPAA is preparing to offer movies to customers at home while they're still in theaters by limiting playback to DRM-protected digital outputs only, the HDCP protocol they rely on may have been cracked wide open. All devices that support HDCP, like Blu-ray players, set-top boxes and displays with HDMI inputs, have their own set of keys to encrypt and decrypt protected data and if keys for a particular device are compromised, they can be revoked by content released in the future which will then refuse to play. Now, posts have been floating around on Twitter about a supposed "master key" which renders that protection unusable since it allows anyone to create their own source and sink keys.

Source

This should be interesting....

Dont know if this is legit: http://pastebin.com/kqD56TmU

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Oh boy. Way to light a fire under the MPAA's seats, boys... you've done it now and I think I like it this time.

·
Banned
3,058 Posts
Land ho mateties!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
Oh boy. Way to light a fire under the MPAA's seats, boys... you've done it now and I think I like it this time.

Mods Supporting DRM cracking now are we?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yay

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Full support for blu rays in Linux here we come.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yay, maybe now I can finally watch my legally paid for BDs on my HDCP compliant HTPC and non-HDCP compliant 42" LCD. What exactly is the point of HDCP other than to create another annoying product limiting standard? How is it stopping pirates?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMv8(1day) View Post
Yay, maybe now I can finally watch my legally paid for BDs on my HDCP compliant HTPC and non-HDCP compliant 42" LCD. What exactly is the point of HDCP other than to create another annoying product limiting standard? How is it stopping pirates?
They're trolling you and making money on top of it. Isnt capitalism just swell sometimes?

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
where there's a will, there's a way.

i guess you can't blame the content producers from trying, though...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Beast
View Post

Maybe now I can watch blurays over my 3monitor setup. Yes I am an idiot who likes the stretched image.

And bezels splitting through your movie.

On topic, the MPAA is shooting themselves in the foot with this new service that allows users to watch movies at home while it's still in theatres. They're just going to be leaked that much quicker.

Thanks MPAA.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts

This is a kick to the balls as far as the MPAA is concerned.

WE NEED MORE! HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS THE MOST!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
I take it you have a nice view upon that high horse, eh?

News flash: DRM is bad. Just as bad as the piracy it allegedly prevents.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
Not explicitly. I support the result, not the method.

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
News of the most excellent kind.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
this isn't about supporting piracy, this is about getting a movie I paid for to play on a monitor I paid for.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts