Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:

Oh, hello. A trusted tipster just sent in these internal renders of HP / Palm's "Topaz" webOS tablet, which is one of two tablets currently being developed in Sunnyvale. That's right, two tablets: the 9-inch Topaz and a 7-inch model codnamed Opal -- a lineup that fits nicely into Palm's "Something big, Something small, Something beyond" tagline for its upcoming February 9th event. Looking at the render, we're seeing the no-button design we'd previously heard about (we're assuming the gesture area rotates with the display), a front-facing camera, a micro USB port on the bottom, and what appears to be a Vizio Tablet-style three speaker arrangement for stereo audio in both landscape and portrait modes -- that's two speakers along the left side and a third on the right. (That's just a guess, though.) We'd also note the back appears to be a glossy material, which might rule out a giant Touchstone for charging -- Touchstone backs have heretofore been soft-touch, but anything can change, we suppose.

SOURCE

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,842 Posts
Now if it could fit in the Palm of my hand....

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
certainly not a bad looking device, and I imagine webos doing well on a tablet like that.

I just hope that it can keep developer interest and not die out like the pre/pixi did.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
As an owner of a Pixi Plus, I can say that WebOS would probably do extremely well in a tablet form factor, provided they can get the developers interested. The fact that almost all of the popular apps out there are split between iOS and Android (with some Blackberry) is one of the main regrets I have buying a Palm phone.

Plus, the WebOS dev teams seem to be really slow... WebOS 2.0 was supposed to have been out by now.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have a rooted and overclocked Pre plus and I can tell you that it is a great phone, BUT...

WebOS is a great OS that was introduced on mediocre hardware. I have used both Android and iOS and can tell you that WebOS beats those hands down.

I hope HP can get some traction with the tablets...but I fear the WebOS coffin is all but sealed.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
one of my main issues with webos is the locked-down nature of the os (similar to ios in that regard) and the complete lack of security on said os (everything runs as root).

while this makes homebrew extremely easy, it also makes me a bit concerned for my data.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The overclocked webos is a completely different beast. Hope they don't skimp on hardware this time. 2.0 would be amazing on a tablet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts