Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:


Wouldn't you have enjoyed your PlayStation 2 games much more if you'd just left them sealed on the shelf? That's the eye-watering achievement collector Ahans76 has achieved, spending the last decade stuffing first edition (only with the Sony hologram attached) titles into a bookcase and steadfastly refusing to open them.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/07/n...sealed-and-in/

Whatever floats his boat, I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,191 Posts
Eh, it's a honest collection. Good for him. He completed a goal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
This is why I never understood collectors. Why spend money on something that's main purpose is to produce fun, and never open it? I understand that someday someone might pay a lot of money for it, but that seems trivial, as there's no actual value in it, unless you open it. I don't know about you guys, but if I buy a game I intend to play it, not just ogle at the box art.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Craiga35
View Post

This is why I never understood collectors. Why spend money on something that's main purpose is to produce fun, and never open it? I understand that someday someone might pay a lot of money for it, but that seems trivial, as there's no actual value in it, unless you open it. I don't know about you guys, but if I buy a game I intend to play it, not just ogle at the box art.

i bought a sonic the hedgehog sega master system game just to do that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DAI_JAZZER
View Post

i bought a sonic the hedgehog sega master system game just to do that

I can accept someone doing that with a one-time purchase, but when you end up spending thousands of dollars on a collection of something that you will never open, it just seems like an extreme waste of money and effort. I accept that people do this, but I just can't fathom why? It just makes no sense to me.

EDIT: I guess it matters to me the amount you spend on said collection. If you buy something for $100 that you expect to return $1000+ within say 5-10 years, or if the item is a limited edition, or collectible, then I can see why. But if you spend thousands on a collection of something that was mass-produced, it just seems that there is almost no return value. Especially something like software, by the time these have any amount of tangible profit value, there will be emulators galore for those who actually want to play them, and I don't see a reason to buy a game, other than to play it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,787 Posts
Meh, Trophy unlocked

Myself i "Collect" Dreamcast stuff, As much as sealed stuff is awesome i would not have a sealed item in my collection unless i owned 2

I say "collect" because i am not a freak who wants everything in A spec condition, I buy the dreamcast games as the system its self is just amazing to play on even still to this day, But also i would spend £100 or so to buy a hello kitty dreamcast and play on it even though its a collectors item.

/E Lol everyone loves the dreamcast here too? :3
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,813 Posts
Awesome. I've never been much of a collector myself but love to see great collections like this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Craiga35
View Post

This is why I never understood collectors. Why spend money on something that's main purpose is to produce fun, and never open it? I understand that someday someone might pay a lot of money for it, but that seems trivial, as there's no actual value in it, unless you open it. I don't know about you guys, but if I buy a game I intend to play it, not just ogle at the box art.

How so?

Besides, people collect all sorts of things, many of which serve purposes other than fun. To this type of collector, using the item, whether it be games, books, cars, etc., isn't really a concern.

I understand how it might not make sense to most folks, but I'm a bit of a game collector myself (of the more budget-friendly open copy variety), and while I actually do get to play these exact copies of games, they'll spend 99% of their time on a shelf. There's just something satisfying about building and admiring something like this.

Every PS2 game, however, is a bit much for me. There are a lot of PS2 games I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. My own collection encompasses JRPGs, which has slowly evolved into more of a Square/Final Fantasy collection.

Quote:


Originally Posted by Somenamehere
View Post

I know sealed versions of SNES games can go for $100 each +. Maybe one day this "investment" will pay off.

Thousands of dollars in some cases.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,813 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Craiga35
View Post

This is why I never understood collectors. Why spend money on something that's main purpose is to produce fun, and never open it? I understand that someday someone might pay a lot of money for it, but that seems trivial, as there's no actual value in it, unless you open it. I don't know about you guys, but if I buy a game I intend to play it, not just ogle at the box art.

What you are missing is that they get enjoyment out of building their collection, organizing it, and displaying it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Paradox me
View Post

How so?

Besides, people collect all sorts of things, many of which serve purposes other than fun. To this type of collector, using the item, whether it be games, books, cars, etc., isn't really a concern.

I understand how it might not make sense to most folks, but I'm a bit of a game collector myself (of the more budget-friendly open copy variety), and while I actually do get to play these exact copies of games, they'll spend 99% of their time on a shelf. There's just something satisfying about building and admiring something like this.

Every PS2 game, however, is a bit much for me. There are a lot of PS2 games I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. My own collection encompasses JRPGs, which has slowly evolved into more of a Square/Final Fantasy collection.

I guess its just two different types of brains. I just don't see the value of buying something that is intended to be used, and not using it, never mind an entire collection of them, but to each his own I guess.

Quote:


Originally Posted by Mygaffer
View Post

What you are missing is that they get enjoyment out of building their collection, organizing it, and displaying it.

I understand that, it just doesn't seem to me that the payoff is worth it, but I guess we're just two different people. Everyone has their own opinion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,813 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Craiga35
View Post

I guess its just two different types of brains. I just don't see the value of buying something that is intended to be used, and not using it, never mind an entire collection of them, but to each his own I guess.

I understand that, it just doesn't seem to me that the payoff is worth it, but I guess we're just two different people. Everyone has their own opinion.

You and the collector I take it you mean? I don't know why you keep saying that you don't think the payoff is worth it, obviously not or you would have a similar collection. It wouldn't be at all worth it to me either.

There are SOME people though for who it is most obviously worth it. Maybe they are just wired differently, maybe it has to do with how they were raised. But obviously it is worth it to them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,202 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by r3skyline
View Post

wow...i wonder how much that cost him in the end...

This. Has to be in the tens of thousands easily.
 

·
B.O.W
Joined
·
26,978 Posts
Thats amazing! I'm super jealous.

I like to "collect" myself, but never like that to the extent. And most of the time I open the stuff. And I only like to collect games that I like. Anything I buy game wise unless I really dislike it, I never sell or give away, and anything I really love I display. I love buying collector's editions to games I love and getting the little statues or figurines or metal shiny cases. Probably the only highlight of Final Fantasy XIV was the collector's edition box LOL The best collectors box was Metal Gear Solid 4 because of its artwork.

I still have a solid collection of PS2 games on that note.
"Did you buy Zone of the Enders just to get at the demo version of Metal Gear Solid 2."
Oh hell yeah, and I remember I ended up loving ZoE to death. I still have both discs, mint, in the original box in my drawer. Hell, I remember the day I bought it.

Quote:


wow...i wonder how much that cost him in the end...

Just imagine later on how much it will make him in the end if he ever decides to depart with it. You'd be surprised how many PS2 games go online even though they're not too old even now. And sealed? It would make your skin crawl how much. Collector edition of Metal Gear Solid 3 sealed goes for quite a penny. And if those games are original boxing (ie not PlayStation Red Discount boxes), they could eventually go for more later. Final Fantasy VII for the PSX in its original black banner box goes for alot. I still have that jewel case, but the discs are gone yet I still have the green jewel case and discs for the PlayStation Discount.

Sometimes I wonder what the value of even PS3 and 360 games I buy now will go for in the future. I wish I had the unlimited cash flow to buy 2 copies of every game, and just throw the sealed one into the dungeon or for display.
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top