Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

It's been available in Japan for a little while now, and it looks folks over here will finally be able get a standalone 250GB hard drive to breath some new life into their Xbox 360 as well. First revealed on the Xbox 360 Dashboard, Microsoft has now come out and confirmed that the drive will cost $129.99, and says that it should be available at retailers starting today (although Amazon is only listing an in-stock date of March 28th).

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/2...le-for-129-99/

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by justarealguy
View Post

They don't make money on the consoles. They make it off accessories and royalties.

Get over it.

Lol I know, just sayin'

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
whatever, I'd rather buy a 2TB hard drive for my PC, and store all the music and videos there, then, share it on a local network so I can access to that media through the xbox 360

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
you're looking at ~$80 for the drive +$25 for the enclosure off ebay.

I don't think $130 is too much of a gouge as you'd have to spend 1-2 hours of labor/reading to flash it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753 View Post

I don't think $130 is too much of a gouge as you'd have to spend 1-2 hours of labor/reading to flash it.
It's $50 free shipping on the egg for a 250gb laptop plus the enclosure is 15 on ebay, I've just been pricing it out cause I'm cheap and just got a 360. It takes about 20 minutes including taking apart a desktop computer to flash it, I just did a 120gb. So 130/65=2. Twice the price I would say is gouging somewhat, plus saying Microsoft probably gets their drives and enclosures at more of a discount than we consumers can. Still way overpriced. Not trying to rail on you or anything, just correcting.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
This is one thing I hate about my 360(good thing I got a 120GB). Literally last week I bought a 320GB WD 2.5" for $50 free shipping. Threw it in my PS3 and BAM, 263GB of free space! M$ needs to learn from this with their next console. A 640GB is like $90 on the egg, much better deal the $130 for 250GB.

·
Custom User Title
3,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lxcivic2k1
View Post

This is one thing I hate about my 360. Literally last week I bought a 320GB WD 2.5" for $50 free shipping. Threw it in my PS3 and BAM, 263GB of free space! M$ needs to learn from this with their next console. A 640GB is like $90 on the egg, much better deal the $130 for 250GB.

You can do this with a Xbox, it just takes time to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lxcivic2k1
View Post

A 640GB is like $90 on the egg, much better deal the $130 for 250GB.

True but with consoles you are paying for stable framerates in every game and something that justs works. That is worth alot of people who just want to sit down and play, etc.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeah61794
View Post

It's $50 free shipping on the egg for a 250gb laptop plus the enclosure is 15 on ebay, I've just been pricing it out cause I'm cheap and just got a 360. It takes about 20 minutes including taking apart a desktop computer to flash it, I just did a 120gb. So 130/65=2. Twice the price I would say is gouging somewhat, plus saying Microsoft probably gets their drives and enclosures at more of a discount than we consumers can. Still way overpriced. Not trying to rail on you or anything, just correcting.

I was quoting canadian prices. and i bought a modded 120gb Hdd for my xbox about a year ago so i'm not opposed to the idea

·
Registered
182 Posts
How many Xbox users would actually know how and take the time to do that. They should just have made it easier for 360 users who want to go higher in storage. I bought a 640GB HD for my PS3 for $89.99, popped it in and voila more space. I don't see the need to gauge more money when they are already making a killing off of other accessories.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lxcivic2k1 View Post
This is one thing I hate about my 360(good thing I got a 120GB). Literally last week I bought a 320GB WD 2.5" for $50 free shipping. Threw it in my PS3 and BAM, 263GB of free space! M$ needs to learn from this with their next console. A 640GB is like $90 on the egg, much better deal the $130 for 250GB.
No, it's not about Microsoft learning a lesson, they know. They just want your money.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753 View Post

why do you need an enclosure? you reuse the one you already got. So..whatever for the HD, a few second tutorial..wallah

·
Registered
220 Posts
Never understood MS' strategy on this one, really. If their whole gameplan is to go digital distribution, what sense does it make to gouge people for crappy sized drives? Make all the other accessories expensive as hell, but make the Hard Drives spacious with a marginal mark-up. Who wants to redownload games and all that nonsense? Just give users enough space from the get go and they'll be less skitish worrying about filling their paltry 20/60/120 gig HDDs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts