Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Robotic Chemist
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So what makes this Alienware display different than a typical OLED TV? For one, it supports a variable refresh rate all the way to its maximum 120Hz refresh rate, whereas many TVs are locked to 120Hz if they support it. Additionally, it features a DisplayPort 1.4 connection, which supports 4K all the way up to its high refresh rate.
It looks like LG's 2019 OLEDs will have some real competition. :wubsmiley

Source
TFT Central

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,370 Posts
This might be my next TV. I wish they offered it in a 65 inch model though.

As a TV 65 or higher would be nice, but for a monitor, if you are sitting close, I find higher than 55 to make my head swivel too much in games.

·
mfw
8,638 Posts
WE MADE IT, GUYS. GET BENT, LCD!

• Rep+
Reactions: The Pook

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,968 Posts
Bad pixel density. Which is fine for console gaming. Which can't even push 4k anyways. But for PC gaming ill pass. But Dell makes some good quality monitors. So it probably has good build quality.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I'm in.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
that thing is going to be expensive isn't it?

·
mfw
8,638 Posts
LG 55C8 is 1899$ on Amazon, 55B8 is 1699$ and this is 2k18 panels. 2000-2500 is probably the lowest Dell will go.
Is it confirmed to be using LG's panel? It's possible this could be using JOLED's 54" (55"-ish...) 4K120 panel. If that were the case, prices could end up going down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it confirmed to be using LG's panel? It's possible this could be using JOLED's 54" (55"-ish...) 4K120 panel. If that were the case, prices could end up going down.
Not Confirmed. I'm just guessing. That 55" JOLED was a prototype. Are they ready for production? JOLED also showed 21.6" 1080p for gaming. 1080p240Hz OLED incoming?

The Nvidia BFGD is at 4999$ and it's DOA thanks to Dell. So they could sell it 2000 - 5000$. But if LG B9/C9 55 is @2500$ I don't see Dell going higher. But it carries the Alienware badge so it might be overpriced... Ok, I'm lost. I have no idea how much it will cost. <3000$ ?

·
Never Finished
2,300 Posts
I'm guessing 3499. They were talking about the price premium of the BFGD, so it's going to be cheaper than that. LG's stuff will likely not have DP 1.4, and slap on the RGB and Alienware tax and you're in the 3s. The fact that they have a pretty polished product on display at CES leads me to believe that we'll actually get a launch in 2H without delays. They'll probably ramp up shortly to have good stock by 2H.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Not Confirmed. I'm just guessing. That 55" JOLED was a prototype. Are they ready for production? JOLED also showed 21.6" 1080p for gaming. 1080p240Hz OLED incoming?

If this is releasing later this year it's almost certainly using an LG panel. JOLED is only running a pilot line right now, which will probably just be used for the 21.6" size. Their full production line won't be up until next year.

·
Performance is the bible
7,049 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

·
Linux Evangelist
2,608 Posts
Alienware is dell. So most likely, this is using a LG panel anyway.
So it's an LG tv with displayport 1.4? Works for me. That explains the 55in panel size, which is honestly too big even for a large desk with 30-40 inches of depth, but hey if this is the closest I get to a 43in I'll take it.

·
Premium Member
8,466 Posts
Ya it can only be an LG panel. JOLED doesn't have a 55" FAB line and aren't planning to anytime soon. JOLED will focus on 32" and smaller OLED.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
There is always one guy.
Lol, no kidding! He says it has "Bad pixel density" as if you can reasonably go any higher than 4K! I would personally be just fine plopping a 55" 4K monitor down on my desk that I sit just a couple feet away from. Would look absolutely fine...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Wow

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.