Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
BlackBerry OS? Dead! iOS? Dead! Symbian? Never stood a chance. Android's exponential growth has today been illustrated by Nielsen's statisticians who present us with the above chart of recent US smartphone purchases.
Source.

Nice, should definitely see the results of this growth in the popularity of Android soon!. (Eg. No WLM app for Android, FB app sucking compared to the touch.facebook.com site and the iOS client, etc)

Searched, please lock if repost.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
only reason it's popular is because it's shoved down our throats with nearly every phone you can buy

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbulb View Post
only reason it's popular is because it's shoved down our throats with nearly every phone you can buy
Shoved down your throat? Who is forcing you to buy a android phone?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Quote:

Or because its easy to use, customizable, and gives non AT&T subscribers an "iOS like" experience...

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Quote:

I don't see how Android is shoved down one's throat more than any other smart phone OS, theres still Blackberry, IOS, WinMO, Linux, and various Manufacture specific custom smart phone OS's out there.

Android is popular not because of being shoved down one's throat but it's become highly customizable, more user friendly, and IMHO one of the best mobile OS's at market right now for phone's.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by borito4 View Post
Shoved down your throat? Who is forcing you to buy a android phone?
No one is forcing anyone, it's just that Android has over 100 phones on market now. They were bound to be #1 sold sometime soon.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
Great. Now if Verizon could fix their ****ty service. 3G has slowed down something awefull.
Thats a good point...when is this "vaporware" 4G supposed to come out for them?

EDIT: WOOT answered my own question...guess we will know tomorrow. SOURCE

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
Great. Now if Verizon could fix their ****ty service. 3G has slowed down something awefull.
Come to AT&T then

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Loving my Android, 4G speeds on T-Mobile's new HSPA+ is ridiculously quick. On top of that, I absolutely love using Wi-Fi. Android has started to get many good games recently. I like playing Homerun Battle 3D and Armored Strike online.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post
Loving my Android, 4G speeds on T-Mobile's new HSPA+ is ridiculously quick. On top of that, I absolutely love using Wi-Fi. Android has started to get many good games recently. I like playing Homerun Battle 3D and Armored Strike online.
Angry birds is fun but it needs to come out of beta

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowclock View Post
Angry birds is fun but it needs to come out of beta

Angry Birds doesn't want to install on my phone. I have a custom Android port to my phone (HD2) so I guess that's part of why it doesn't work for me. I'm about to try again.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
I managed to get Angry Birds working. It seems all I had to do was unmount my SD card, install it from the market, and remount it.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Looks like Apple is stuck at around 30% of the marketshare.

I guess they've hit their maximum audience and now the only people buying new iPhones are those with an older model. Not even the iPhone 4 was enough to gain a higher share.

Either that or the number of people impressed by the iPhone 4 is being cancelled out by the number of people defecting to Android.

At this rate Android should overtake iOS by Q2 2011, although Gingerbread will probably accelerate that.

The iPhone 4 is already out. The hype is dying down and its just another iPhone now. With a strong lineup of next gen Android phones coming out around the holidays we might see the overtake by the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoka Cola View Post
I like your opinion best.
+1!

Not to mention the bad reception one gets on the iPhone G4 if one actually holds it in their hand.

To me, it seems that getting the applications is a big difference. With Android, you can download and do stuff; with iOS, it's all about spending large at the proprietary iTunes store; while the Crackberry, well, it's pretty easy to download all three applications that are are available...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
"exponential" growth? Hardly. Looks pretty linear to me. Still impressive, and outpacing the others, but hardly exponential.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts