Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/asus-fonepad-announced/
Quote:
We already knew ASUS was prepping a product called the FonePad, a 7-inch tablet with built-in phone functionality (yes, just like the new Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0). Well, ASUS just formally unveiled it here at Mobile World Congress, which means we've got a few more details to share than we did previously.
I'm buying one of these... Might look silly making a call but I'm always showing off pictures and videos on my current iPhone 3gs and this would be Way Better. And cheap.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I'd much rather the Padfone 2 be released in the US. But really, they have a Padfone and now a Fonepad? Someone slap whoever comes up with these names.

Padfone 2 with Windows 8 = college market dominance.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Apocalypse- View Post

I'd much rather the Padfone 2 be released in the US. But really, they have a Padfone and now a Fonepad? Someone slap whoever comes up with these names.

Here Here...except for the win8 thing. Please no. I mean Win8 isn't bad...but I rather have a different OS.
wink.gif

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

Here Here...except for the win8 thing. Please no. I mean Win8 isn't bad...but I rather have a different OS.
wink.gif
I'm looking at it from the perspective of a laptop replacement that also happens to be your phone. I have the original Transformer, but Android is just not good enough for anyone outside the English and History departments to be a laptop replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
from the article

Quote:
The FonePad will be available in Europe for £179 / €219. Here at MWC, ASUS also confirmed a US dollar price of $249, though we had heard rumblings it wouldn't actually be sold there

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Quote:

By Padfone 2, you mean Padfone Infinity XD

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:

I'm looking at it from the perspective of a laptop replacement that also happens to be your phone. I have the original Transformer, but Android is just not good enough for anyone outside the English and History departments to be a laptop replacement.
I was talking real Linux though. Or at least the half attempt by Ubuntu.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
As a purely work phone. Where you always have a bag with you I can see this being useful as a actual phone.
7" Screen realestate (Dispute resolution) for email, document creation, phone on the go and mobile presenter in the field or in meetings. I can see this being a viable alternative in some ways. Then you can use a earpiece headset for actual calls when your out and about and have a bag with you.

But as personal cell phone or for both. I would stick to at most a Note and that's stretching it.

·
Some Guy
714 Posts
Would love the Fonepad... The problem is just that I wouldn't be able to add any additional full-body protection and still use the tablet.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Note 2 is the biggest I will go for a phone. 5.5" is enough for a phone.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Wait what? I was sure these were called "phablets", fonepad/padfone sounds stupid.

But not as stupid as someone would look holding one of these to their ear and making a call.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

History truly does repeat itself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts