1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It's not like this hasn't been done before. A lot of isp's had the choice whether or not to. Big ones like shaw and cogeco have always given notices about sharing and obtaining illegal content.

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8800GT View Post

It's not like this hasn't been done before. A lot of isp's had the choice whether or not to. Big ones like shaw and cogeco have always given notices about sharing and obtaining illegal content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

Nice legislature, at least more forthcoming than click baiting.
It isn't nice, and is sort of a big deal.

Doing this costs money, we as ISPs have to pay a person to generate that contact, record that contact, and then report back to the Copyright holder that it was "done".

Don't be surprised if your bill takes a small bump up to cover the costs of this. Nothing is free in this world, unless you are the RIAA and MPAA - you can get others to do your work for you.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, this isn't really nice, especially since the matter of copyright settlement trolling was pretty much closed not even a year ago...

I'd also suggest this (older) article for more details on the subject http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/digital-privacy-act-opens-copyright-loophole-that-teksavvy-voltage-case-closed-1.2622001

But anyways, I have a feeling that the modification to the law was done to allow for more NSA-like surveillance (with VPN providers having to keep logs, etc.) than for copyright settlement trolling, as iirc the maximum penalty for a first offence of illegal file sharing (for personal use) is of about $100.

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenArchon View Post

Yeah, this isn't really nice, especially since the matter of copyright settlement trolling was pretty much closed not even a year ago...

I'd also suggest this (older) article for more details on the subject http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/digital-privacy-act-opens-copyright-loophole-that-teksavvy-voltage-case-closed-1.2622001

But anyways, I have a feeling that the modification to the law was done to allow for more NSA-like surveillance (with VPN providers having to keep logs, etc.) than for copyright settlement trolling, as iirc the maximum penalty for a first offence of illegal file sharing (for personal use) is of about $100.
We have a small portion of our network that is purely NAT and is seen by the outside world as one IP. They are an older group of customers from back in the days when we first started and just didn't have IPv4 addresses via ARIN, the "Start-up" days.

Oh god does it piss off law enforcement and the entertainment industry!!

Them: "We need to know who is behind xxx.xxx.xxx.xx! They are evil bad people!"

US: "Well, you see, that is just the public facing address for NAT. There are several hundred people behind it, so.....sorry."

Them: "You can't do that! We will get you yet Gadget!"

·
Banned
6,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

It isn't nice, and is sort of a big deal.

Doing this costs money, we as ISPs have to pay a person to generate that contact, record that contact, and then report back to the Copyright holder that it was "done".

Don't be surprised if your bill takes a small bump up to cover the costs of this. Nothing is free in this world, unless you are the RIAA and MPAA - you can get others to do your work for you.
This is going to be received as a free ticket to troll ISP's, so I agree with your comments.
Fortunately, this indicates we are making some progress. I don't think any company bears the unlimited & fully irresponsible power of wielding law against past claims. Justice can not be late, else it is harsh & unrequited. If I recall some notions correctly, there were some clauses in my country penal code that prevent laws being passed against retrospect to prevent penalty baiting, so the more the legislature is aimed at prospects, the more compatible they are with the concept of time & human conduct, imo. At least this opens the door for a discussion comparatively to what it were.
We could also argue that considering any enterprise as a single ply, just like a chess strategem, it can be easier to police this coupled ply than 1 ply for the crime and 1 for the jurisdiction. People pick strong relation easier, so they cannot ignore the least interventive course in their part results in their involvement; eventhough they may wish to be reluctantly in denial. I think this is still wrong, since there is no mention of any room for interpretation which is very unlike human conduct.
In a perfect quantum system, we should theoretically have the means to monitor everything uninterruptedly, so this sort of planning have physics going for it, too - I guess.

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracarpet View Post

How about we get a piece of legislature that forces Shaw and Telus to actually compete. That would be nice.
Make you a deal. If we find out how to get Comcast and TimeWarner to not merge, and actually compete, we will share the secret with you. If you find out first, with Shaw and Telus, you let us know!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Quote:

Make you a deal. If we find out how to get Comcast and TimeWarner to not merge, and actually compete, we will share the secret with you. If you find out first, with Shaw and Telus, you let us know!
Deal.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Never received a warning before, and the warning has no backing to it. [They can warn you but won't do anything about it, same with going over my data cap, they warn you but don't charge extra]

·
PC Evangelist
47,549 Posts
Here in Canada prices for Internet have been going up every year. Started with $30 and this year i have to pay $55. It's a bit out of control.

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaython View Post

Never received a warning before, and the warning has no backing to it. [They can warn you but won't do anything about it, same with going over my data cap, they warn you but don't charge extra]
You might want to double check that new law kicking in.

If it is like here in the U.S.A then the ISP legally has to "do something about it", or they become liable for damages/fines. Here in the U.S.A we are essentially forced to turn services off of people who are caught multiple times, or as the letters usually say "Repeat offenders".

Hopefully it isn't the same for you up there.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It's quite weird, I've received two of those prior to the new law in 2014 and 2013... I wonder, what should I do...

·
I took this profile pic
4,007 Posts
Quote:

Stop stealing?
Some people need to be given the definition of the term stop before they understand what you mean when you say "stop stealing."

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Quote:

Stop stealing?
If they can offer me a better service, then I'd gladly do so. Netflix Canada is garbage, Video quality is poor compare to a downloaded version, the catalog is really limited, they even try to prevent using a VPN to use United state Netflix http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-cracks-down-on-vpn-and-proxy-pirates-150103/. Steam did it, offered me a great solution for games and I have not illegal played a game since 2009.

As for music offering don't offer FLAC quality or the music I actually want. Last time I wanted a CD I've wasted 1 hours of driving (30min back and forth) and they did not have a copy. Woopty do.

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
Quote:

We have a small portion of our network that is purely NAT and is seen by the outside world as one IP. They are an older group of customers from back in the days when we first started and just didn't have IPv4 addresses via ARIN, the "Start-up" days.

Oh god does it piss off law enforcement and the entertainment industry!!

Them: "We need to know who is behind xxx.xxx.xxx.xx! They are evil bad people!"

US: "Well, you see, that is just the public facing address for NAT. There are several hundred people behind it, so.....sorry."

Them: "You can't do that! We will get you yet Gadget!"
lachen.gif
That's freaking hilarious. Sorry, guys, they're behind a NAT. No, I have no idea who had what internal IP at that time. No, we can't do that because we're using overload NAT. Yes, it's port address translation so it's a total crapshoot.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

You might want to double check that new law kicking in.

If it is like here in the U.S.A then the ISP legally has to "do something about it", or they become liable for damages/fines. Here in the U.S.A we are essentially forced to turn services off of people who are caught multiple times, or as the letters usually say "Repeat offenders".

Hopefully it isn't the same for you up there.
Question: How do the rights holders even know? Are they MitM'ing connections? How is it that Evil Media Company XYZ even knows if IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is downloading things they ought not be?
Quote:

Stop stealing?
No freaking kidding. If you didn't pay for it and you took it, then it's theft.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingduqc View Post

If they can offer me a better service, then I'd gladly do so. Netflix Canada is garbage, Video quality is poor compare to a downloaded version, the catalog is really limited, they even try to prevent using a VPN to use United state Netflix http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-cracks-down-on-vpn-and-proxy-pirates-150103/. Steam did it, offered me a great solution for games and I have not illegal played a game since 2009.

As for music offering don't offer FLAC quality or the music I actually want. Last time I wanted a CD I've wasted 1 hours of driving (30min back and forth) and they did not have a copy. Woopty do.
The music part is my problem, $20-30 for a lossless album... no thanks. I don't believe in 24-bit audio so for me it's a damn rip off, I don't deserve to be robbed blind to get CD quality
rolleyes.gif
. I wouldn't even have the money to be an audiophile if I had to pay that much money for a single album. Sometimes I feel bad for not supporting the artists, so one day I think I'll just buy a ton of merchandise. As far as I know profit margins on merchandise are higher than music sales.

I don't play games much, only old ones nobody will care if you pirate (or I already own it and don't want to buy a CD drive). As for movies, I mostly use Netflix and download old ones I can no longer find in stores without difficulty. I also go to theatres to see any new releases I think I'll like so I have no guilt at all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts