Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
It has tiny, hydrogen-peroxide jets on the blade tips, spinning them up without pushing the body of the helo in the other way -- though a small tail rotor is still needed to turn the craft.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/d...s-traditional/

Great looking toy, the guy testing it starts off a bit cautious.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Jesus H Christ, I want one.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr soft View Post
Great looking toy, the guy testing it starts off a bit cautious.

It's hydrogen peroxide, of course he's cautious!

·
Iconoclast
30,939 Posts
I've seen similar helos before, but with small, gasoline powered turbofan engines mounted on the rotor tips.

Never really considered hydrogen peroxide before (expensive, and caustic).

Quote:

Originally Posted by PickledStiff
View Post

Nice, if you crash you can pour some fuel into your wounds.

Yeah, if you want to die.

This isn't the 3% antiseptic mixture.

·
Iconoclast
30,939 Posts
Needs to be 70%+ concentration to be used as a monopropellant and 90%+ would be more likely for this thing. The latter is ~$5 a pound, or 50-60 bucks a gallon.

• Rep+
Reactions: quakermaas

·
Registered
664 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless
View Post

I've seen similar helos before, but with small, gasoline powered turbofan engines mounted on the rotor tips.

Never really considered hydrogen peroxide before (expensive, and caustic).

Yeah, if you want to die.

This isn't the 3% antiseptic mixture.

pfft, I use the 99% pure stuff for my paper cuts. Nothing like bleaching and spontaneous combustion to help you heal.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PickledStiff
View Post

Nice, if you crash you can pour some fuel into your wounds.

Wonder how well BC2 chopper skills translate to this.

By BC2 chopper skills i hope you mean blade to dirt skills.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, please!

Off topic, but:

I bothers me to see people use h202 on their wounds for antiseptic reasons. It doesn't do a damned thing for you, unless you count hyperoxygenating your wound site. It is a decent irrigant, though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxy_The_Box View Post
Yes, please!

Off topic, but:

I bothers me to see people use h202 on their wounds for antiseptic reasons. It doesn't do a damned thing for you, unless you count hyperoxygenating your wound site. It is a decent irrigant, though.
Depends on what pathogens you're looking to kill. If it is catalase negative then the h2o2 will indeed kill it. If it's positive, then you just get more bubbles. And you can argue that the bubbling effect helps loosen debris making it easier to clean the wound.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxy_The_Box View Post
Yes, please!

Off topic, but:

IF you have dirt, infectants, infection, in a wound it'll clear it out. You then seal the wound, now completely clean, and keep them from getting in there a second time. Using it more then once not recommended unless it gets infected and only in certain circumstances.

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Needs to be 70%+ concentration to be used as a monopropellant and 90%+ would be more likely for this thing. The latter is ~$5 a pound, or 50-60 bucks a gallon.
The biggest factor is how much fuel is uses to fly rather than how much it costs per gallon. If it costs $1,000 per gallon, but a gallon lasts 250 years in that thing, then that seems like a very inexpensive way to fly, for example.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz View Post
The biggest factor is how much fuel is uses to fly rather than how much it costs per gallon. If it costs $1,000 per gallon, but a gallon lasts 250 years in that thing, then that seems like a very inexpensive way to fly, for example.

True, but watching the video while it made large clouds of it took that argument outta my head I suppose. It's using the stuff to spin the blades fast enough to fly.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
dude... if you let the fuel stagnate, it will decompose into water... thats a big fail considering it costs a small fortune for that amount of h2o2.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnishimura00
View Post

dude... if you let the fuel stagnate, it will decompose into water... thats a big fail considering it costs a small fortune for that amount of h2o2.

Does it need to be exposed to air for that to happen? I'd assume it's a closed system that doesn't come into contact with air until it's used....if that makes a difference.

That or plan on flying till you're on E once you fill the tank!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts