Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 356 Posts

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
While we're still curious to see if Microsoft can better integrate the desktop and Metro environments of its latest operating system, the company has now revealed a significant change to the desktop portion of Windows 8 -- a completely restyled visual appearance. As you might remember from the Consumer Preview, window borders and widgets featured a simplified and subdued look in comparison to the glass-like materials of Aero, which Microsoft now calls "dated and cheesy." With the latest refresh, however, the company has pushed its modernistic philosophy even further to reveal a spartan (yet functional) interface that draws less attention to the chrome elements and allows the user to focus more on content.
Source

confused.gif

This is meme worthy fail.

It's almost as if they're trying to make it worse. They've added the ribbon in Windows Explorer (I think?), removed the start button, and now they're removing Aero? I'm sure there's plenty I've missed too, but what on earth are they doing?!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
RIP Windows Start Button, 1995-2012
RIP Windows Aero, 2006-2012
What's next on the RIP list, W8 and Microsoft?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
The ribbon in explorer is somewhat useful. And it disappears when you don't need it if I recall.

Honestly I'm OK with Aero going away or changing styles, the glass look is old.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Actually, Aero is something that doesn't mix well with Metro. Its faux-glass UI doesn't correspond to this newer, more minimalist flat panel interface introduced with Metro, so Aero has to go and MS did a great job doing so. If I recall, the Ribbon UI is minimized on the windows by default but can be toggled if you so desire. I know, it's rather a cumbersome thing to see it on every open window but at least there's an option to hide it.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I turned off aero glass on Windows 7 anyway... it was cool at first but now it's just meh.

Not sure if I like that implementation though... it is supposed to be minimalistic but it looks kinda crowded and a lot like the High Contrast theme in Win 7

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Looks very OSX-ish, which isn't bad in my book in and of itself, but I use both windows and OS X for a reason. They are different OS's for different purposes. It seems though that Windows it trying to go the simplified way of OS X, which creates a gap in the market. I wonder what will replace the start button as a primary launcher though. In OSX, it's already a app-like environment with the applications directory separate from the actual program files in the library directory. Window's typical Program Files directory won't work well on it's own, so I wonder if there will be an applications library added under the user's directory.

·
PC Evangelist
47,245 Posts
Well with Metro UI you cant really Call Windows, Windows any more. They are trying to get away from Windows name and these are just some steps.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noak View Post

Why do companies insist on "fixing" things that aren't broken or need fixing...
Because if they didn't fix what wasn't broken, there would be no new stuff. Just the same stuff you've always had.

I don't think they would change it if they didn't think it would make users more productive.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Let me just say, I love the aero glass look, I can't use windows without it being transparent thats just the way its supposed to be. It gives a comforting and lofty appearance that isn't overly imposing.

·
Banned
705 Posts
I tried to like Windows 8, but I just couldn't. The start menu is the most awful start menu I've ever seen on anything and the whole OS is ugly and cluttered. It did seem a little more responsive though.

-Finally make a good UI
-Replace it with trash in the next OS
Microsoft logic.

Oh, Gates where art thou.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Am I the only person still running the Classic theme in Windows?

·
What can't a 4+1 phase do
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxholster View Post

Let me just say, I love the aero glass look, I can't use windows without it being transparent thats just the way its supposed to be. It gives a comforting and lofty appearance that isn't overly imposing.
^this, and the "new look" seems a lot like XP to me for some reason. Honestly, Aero looks a lot more modern than that, and certainly not cheesy.

1 - 20 of 356 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.