Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Verizon told us earlier that it wouldn't be carrying Windows Phone 7 devices until 2011, and now Microsoft's twisting the knife by confirming that its new platform will be GSM-only until the first half of 2011. So much for our dreams of a 4G Windows Phone 7 device on Sprint, we suppose.

Source

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't mean it should be limited imho.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1121 View Post
I disagree. And someone who knows how to explain it better than me will come along and say why lol.
Security and robustness alone make GSM inferior. There is a reason the military only uses CDMA for secure communications that aren't via satellite etc.

The only real reason GSM is so popular around the world is due to it being cheap.

It takes moments to copy a SIM card, duplicating an ESN/MEID of a CDMA based device is a heck of a lot harder due to the hard-coded passwords on the devices. That's the gist of it really, if someone else wants to elaborate on it please go ahead.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappycoreDJ View Post
That's because GSM is superior.
I don't know how true this comment may or may not be. But I know one thing for Sure. and that is that Currently my Nexus One with T-Mobile's HSPA+ network is currently faster than anything I've seen verizon do, OR Sprint's 4G. I've tested my Nexus One against my friends 4G EVO many of times, and my T-Mobile speeds blow it away....

Wait for the T-Mobile G2, the first officially built for Tmo's HSPA+ speeds. I bet it will be faster than hell..

Here's some results of my Nexus One running on T-mobiles Service here in Vegas where I live
LL

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExperimentX
View Post

Security and robustness alone make GSM inferior. There is a reason the military only uses CDMA for secure communications that aren't via satellite etc.

The only real reason GSM is so popular around the world is due to it being cheap.

It takes moments to copy a SIM card, duplicating an ESN/MEID of a CDMA based device is a heck of a lot harder due to the hard-coded passwords on the devices. That's the gist of it really, if someone else wants to elaborate on it please go ahead.

GSM has advantages too, like voice+data. Then there is the ability to travel with it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc
View Post

I don't know how true this comment may or may not be. But I know one thing for Sure. and that is that Currently my Nexus One with T-Mobile's HSPA+ network is currently faster than anything I've seen verizon do, OR Sprint's 4G. I've tested my Nexus One against my friends 4G EVO many of times, and my T-Mobile speeds blow it away....

Wait for the T-Mobile G2, the first officially built for Tmo's HSPA+ speeds. I bet it will be faster than hell..

Here's some results of my Nexus One running on T-mobiles Service here in Vegas where I live

In the mobile speedtests thread in the mobile forum some guy with sprint posted line and 8 megabit per second speedtest

1 - 10 of 10 Posts