Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Look, nobody's saying Linux is perfect for every consumer (or even most), but Microsoft's "training material" for Best Buy employees casts the open source operating system in a bit of a bad light -- and isn't exactly accurate. A few of the humorous tidbits in the Linux comparison guide include mentioning World of Warcraft as incompatible with Linux (despite great support for it under WINE), calling Linux's safety reputation a "myth," and describing Linux updates and upgrades as difficult and time consuming. The availability of Windows Live Essentials as a "free download" is also quite laughable -- Linux has endless free alternatives to Microsoft's Live Essentials, and many of them are better than what Microsoft offers. Not to say there hasn't been the odd consumer that was burned by purchasing a Linux-running netbook, but we'd say there are enough tangible benefits to Windows for Microsoft to avoid misinformation when talking down the open source competition.
source

·
Registered
573 Posts
Its kinda true, but anyone who makes their decision based on that guide wouldn't be getting linux anyway. The only people who would get linux would be people who are knowledgeable enough not to even consider this info.

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
If I do get hired at Best Buy and they present this material to me, I'd laugh so hard they'd fire me.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorporalAris View Post
Eh... It's true and it's dumb. Linux requires you to have a moderate skill level with a computer, which most people don't have.

These things matter to those people, which is where it makes sense.

But then Linux is better in every other way, so poo poo on this.
I would say more than a moderate skill level. I mean i could be wrong but i consider my self to be pretty well versed in computers and i have trouble with linux. Even ubuntu gave me issues. I wish i could run it with no problems cuase it seems like a lot of fun.

But as others pointed out they didnt lie, i love how they used wow to haah.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
This is ripe material for ripping MS; but really, who goes to Best Buy looking to buy a Linux machine? Chances are if you want Linux you probably have the requisite knowledge to know not to buy the overpriced garbage they push on all the yuppies.

Does Best Buy even offer machines with Linux?

·
Premium Member
7,013 Posts
Even though I feel like the Linux fanboys are about to come flame this ad, it is completely true for the average customer. Your basic customer who comes in and tells you that he wants a PC or MAC for internet browsing, music & all other basic stuff doesn't want to go through hoops to get all that done. Even when you look at OCN, not that many people use Linux, so don't expect your average joe to.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.