Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plantronics' $130 Rig gaming headset homes in on the mobile gaming crowd

Quote:
We've known Plantronics to craft solid PC gaming headsets and now, separate from the GameCom series, its new Rig package aims to appease gamers on every platform. The stereo headset itself features a slim profile with circumarual earcups that fold flat and it connects with two included cables: one features a boom mic, while the other packs an in-line remote and mic for smartphones. The heart of the setup lies within a wired mixer, which'll let you hook up your cellphone, gaming rig (computer or console via USB and Toslink) and the headset simultaneously.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/20/plantronics-rig-gaming-headset/

Certainly looks good, lets hope gaming headset doesn't mean bad audio quality.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Reject the system
1,555 Posts
This seems legit. I like the concept.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a review and apparently they sound pretty good when used with the mixer, but terrible without. So much for portable headphones I guess.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyMorphist View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post

outside of the beyers, I wouldn't even bother.
Beyerdynamic MMX 300?
yup, those DT770s with an attached mic

the hd555/595 drivers are next to crap... the design of the enclosures is the only benefit to them, in which case, gives that great soundstage. the drivers themselves are rather terrible... half of the frequencies they "theoretically" produce come out as a garbled messed. anything under 65hz they can't actually do, far too much distortion and colour at certain ranges... nasty... the only headsets I'd ever recommend outside of the mmx 300s is the G35s in stereo mode if you ever find them on a ridiculous sale and or you MUST have a headset in that budget zone. outside of that, frig, just grab yourself the AKG 240s and call it a day with a clip-on/desktop mic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts