Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Another day, another experimental CPU cooling method that may or may not come to pass. We've seen "thermal paste" from IBM and polyethylene from MIT, and now researchers at the University of Rochester have developed a method for coaxing water along nanometer-scale grooves carved into silicon. So hydrophilic are the patterns that water will even flow against gravity (and we've got the video to prove it). Not only are the structures so precise and nondestructive that the surface feels smooth to the touch, but they also trap photons, according to The New York Times, "so the grooved silicon appears pitch-black." And who knows? Maybe your next PC will be cooled by streams of water flowing freely inside the case. It's a nice image, anyways. Peep the video after the break to see it in action for yourself.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/1217/

source

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
i dont get it.
The grooves in the material attract water so much, that the force overcomes gravity.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It's like when you soak your clothes, the water will spread along the empty areas between the threads. It's from the surface tension of the water.

Basically, researchers carved nanometer-scale grooves into silicon to duplicate that effect. Application of this would be manufacturers carving grooves into microchip packages to let TIM fill in the gaps better.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
since people are not getting it I will post the full story. Also watch the video on the source website...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
DUDE I want one of those plug-in waterfall things, except have the water go UP!!

Have a water fountain upside down on the ceiling LOL

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Pretty cool.

I think they were saying that the liquid could be freely drawn across surfaces and cool your computer without a need for a pump.

I wonder how well it retains the water though. Not too useful if it just saturates instead of directing all of the water in a continuous direction.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Wow, this must be what they use in Bounty paper towels! I swear they do the same thing!

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _02
View Post

Pretty cool.

I think they were saying that the liquid could be freely drawn across surfaces and cool your computer without a need for a pump.

I wonder how well it retains the water though. Not too useful if it just saturates instead of directing all of the water in a continuous direction.

that makes better sense. but i dont see how such a small amount of water will help cool it unless they are going like inbetween the layers.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm666
View Post

Wow, this must be what they use in Bounty paper towels! I swear they do the same thing!

They coaxe water along nanometer-scale grooves carved into silicon?

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnAimed
View Post

They coaxe water along nanometer-scale grooves carved into silicon?

Nope, it's got electrolytes!

(4th energy drink of the day)

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,878 Posts
without reading the article, it seems they want to create a porous motherboard where water flows through to cool everything.

if this comes to pass, this means your average off teh shelf non-upgraded computer will be silent from the noexistence of fans on the motherboard.

sure harddrives will still need cooling, but thats only untill they get SSD technology dialed in for a permanent use

1 - 20 of 22 Posts