Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Well, it's finally here. Sort of. It's been a long and winding road for BlackBerry 10, and as has been RIM's way, the company continues to out new BB10 details just a bit at a time. As you may recall, we got a good look at RIM's original Dev Alpha hardware back in May, and were able to swipe our way through a good bit of BB10 a month later. It's BlackBerry Jam time now, though, and RIM gave us a more thorough look at the OS than ever before, and we got to see it running on a new Dev Alpha B handset. We couldn't pry loose any details about the hardware inside the new dev phone (other than it's got a BB10-standard 1280x768 screen), but we did get a few fresh facts about the software running on it. Once again, RIM reminded us that the software we saw was not the final version, but that shouldn't deter you from reading on past the break and seeing a video of BB10 in action.
www.viddler.com/embed/4582e190/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&secret=96251031&disablebranding=0&view_secret=96251031
source

In short, the new UI looks a lot like Nokia's (now mostly killed) SwipeUI with a slightly different app drawer.

edit: anyone know how to embed viddler videos?

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
oh wow this is a pretty sleek UI. It's not as simplified as I would personally like that (not an iCrap phan here), but there are still tweaks here and there that they could do to make it even more seamless. overall this looks to be a pretty solid competitor. Unfortunately for BB10, it's just as generic as any other OS and doesn't really offer anything new to the table.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I really don't see it being incredible popular with the general masses, but it really looks like there trying to focus more in the business side. That dual instance for browsers one for intranet and one for personal use I would see being quite appealing, throw on the standard BB security that they run it will be promising.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I like their bottom-of-the-screen UI philosophy. I hate having to scroll to the top to have the options appear, or having a persistant UI present.

But should I get another BB device, I'd likely stick to their Bold keyboard model. Hopefully the experience translates well for that device as well.

Unfortunately for RIM, my contract is up now, and i'll probably give WP8 A try (had an JB'd iPhone 3gs, have a Gtab on CM10) and want to see what other platforms have to offer.

·
PC Evangelist
48,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncMaster753 View Post

I like their bottom-of-the-screen UI philosophy. I hate having to scroll to the top to have the options appear, or having a persistant UI present.
But should I get another BB device, I'd likely stick to their Bold keyboard model. Hopefully the experience translates well for that device as well.
Unfortunately for RIM, my contract is up now, and i'll probably give WP8 A try (had an JB'd iPhone 3gs, have a Gtab on CM10) and want to see what other platforms have to offer.
Lol. Its how you hold it. Have a Gnex and the Thumb is always in the middle. Even though its 4.65" its the same distance to travel to reach top and bottom.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Lol. Its how you hold it. Have a Gnex and the Thumb is always in the middle. Even though its 4.65" its the same distance to travel to reach top and bottom.
Actually, I will just use the Nova / Apex launcher and have a gesture command that made me can open notifications with a little swipe down on the screen.

On topic: I like that new BB OS, They are smooth and proffesional looking. The keyboard looked so ordinary though. I expect something revolutionary for their keyboard. Maybe they will still make change in the final release.
I still have my aging Blackberry Onyx for communicating to my homecountry folks, so I hope BB can do well in the upcoming competition.

But they are using slide to unlock, I'm having a bad feeling about this...
hmmsmiley02.gif

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Having used various modded Android systems for quite some time, I could actually see picking up one of these phones without having the massive urge to completely tweak the software presentation that comes with it. They added a lot of features that seem surprisingly convenient and leaves me wondering why others haven't implemented it.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Company gave a Black Berry...even though it is not the newest one it is much better than having something with a "I" in it. I am happy with it, I can place calls and play poker.
thumb.gif

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,475 Posts
Hmm, make a new Bold 3 while keeping the original BB9000's keyboard and I'll be set for a new phone
smile.gif

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget_lova View Post

Actually, I will just use the Nova / Apex launcher and have a gesture command that made me can open notifications with a little swipe down on the screen.
On topic: I like that new BB OS, They are smooth and proffesional looking. The keyboard looked so ordinary though. I expect something revolutionary for their keyboard. Maybe they will still make change in the final release.
I still have my aging Blackberry Onyx for communicating to my homecountry folks, so I hope BB can do well in the upcoming competition.
But they are using slide to unlock, I'm having a bad feeling about this...
hmmsmiley02.gif
It's a keyboard, dude...how different should a keyboard be, really?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.