Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/verizon-cfo-says-grandfathered-unlimited-plans-on-the-way-out/
Quote:
Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo shattered many a hopes and dreams today speaking at the J.P. Morgan Technology, Media and Telecom conference. During his address, Shammo indicated that customers who have been grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan may soon find themselves pushed into tiered territory, with the debut of the carrier's shared data plans.
Complete bull here I come sprint

Petition
Quote:
Clarification from Verizon states that you will not lose your unlimited under your current contract but when you go to upgrade if you buy a subsidized phone you will be forced into one of their tiered family share plans.
To keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan you will need to buy a phone for the full retail price. I'm assuming you can get one off of ebay as well. I have done this in the past without incident

·
Registered
954 Posts
lol my only reason i even stayed

·
Window Shopping
1,921 Posts
Sprint subscriber and proud. Only downside is the battery in my EVO 4G can barely make it through half a day
mad.gif
but I download whatever, run tether, watch youtube, I love not having to worry about data caps

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3310n View Post

lol my only reason i even stayed
Me too...in reality their plans are expensive....I rarely go over 2GB but it's the principle. I paid for unlimited

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Yet another step backwards. Oh USA, when will you wake up
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
71 Posts
Putting on data limits while increasing speeds as many carriers seem intent on doing still seems counter-progressive and generally silly.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I wonder if this covers current unlimited LTE plans, because the article makes the point of 3G phones being upgraded to LTE phones. Also, they talk about upgrading. Well, what if I buy the phone at MSRP without a contract? A way around it?

I also laugh at the fact that all the carriers advertise features and crap like HD video streaming which eats up data, then impose stupid data caps unless you want to pay an arm and a leg each month.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post

I wonder if this covers current unlimited LTE plans, because the article makes the point of 3G phones being upgraded to LTE phones. Also, they talk about upgrading. Well, what if I buy the phone at MSRP without a contract? A way around it?
I also laugh at the fact that all the carriers advertise features and crap like HD video streaming which eats up data, then impose stupid data caps unless you want to pay an arm and a leg each month.
technically, they are under no obligation to continue to offer you unlimited data.
your contract agreement im sure has a clause somewhere.

simplistically in a contract, if someone changes the terms of the contract, if you don't agree with it, you can terminate the contract without penalty.

So in the end if verizon decides "no more unlimited data for anyone", there's really little anyone can do besides leaving verizon's service and choosing another service.

I agree im annoyed as well as my upgrade date is July this year, and i was hoping to hold onto my upgrade until the next gen android phones come out (Galaxy III, etc)

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azianai View Post

technically, they are under no obligation to continue to offer you unlimited data.
simplistically in a contract, if someone changes the terms of the contract, if you don't agree with it, you can terminate the contract without penalty.
So in the end if verizon decides "no more unlimited data for anyone", there's really little anyone can do besides leaving verizon's service and choosing another service.
I agree im annoyed as well as my upgrade date is July this year, and i was hoping to hold onto my upgrade until the next gen android phones come out (Galaxy III, etc)
Galaxy S3 is out in June. You can upgrade to it
thumb.gif

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not surprising at all.

I am grandfathered in for now... let's see what happens in the future.

In all likelihood, Sprint will go the same way if they get some more momentum. Sprint is great, if they have coverage in your area, but for folks like me...it just doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Go Sprint! It might be slow (until my area gets 4g coverage) but I can deal with that. I'm at home with wifi for the most part
thumb.gif

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well this is awful news. I already have an LTE device so maybe I will be able to keep it longer. One can only hope!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeekei View Post

This must suck. Unlimited plans are the norm here in Sweden, aside from mobile broadbands.
It does. Though I never go beyond my limit, it's just an obnoxious cash flow strategy from the cellular carriers. They had unlimited data for quite some time, and now, all of a sudden, they need caps. They don't need caps, of course; they just want the money when you inevitably go over.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azianai View Post

Your right, they can change the contract whenever they want, BUT they have to let people who do not want to switch the ability to leave(IE break contract) without paying the early termination fee. its a win win if someone is looking to move to a different carrier.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh this so sucks can't wait to get off Verizon! I am grandfathered in atm and my contract is up but Verizon is one of the more costly carriers and IMO besides the SGN (I still don't like the SGN) most of their phones suck. Locked bootloaders, bloatware, under powered.
I have already been reading up about Sprint and their Network Vision (A.K.A I'm in Chicago Area part of first wave of 4G LTE) and this just pushes me even faster out the door.
Now if Apple and the ITC can just shut the @$%#@ up and let the HTC EVO 4G LTE out of customs I'd be on Sprint.
mad.gif

1 - 20 of 129 Posts