Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Windows Phone 7. We came, we saw, we took lots and lots of photos. Today, Microsoft unleashed its global domination plans on the world, and we wanted to give readers some insight into what happens now, what happens next, and what the more distant future holds for Redmond's smartphone play. As we saw today, the WP7 push is going to happen in multiple countries (more than 30), on multiple carriers (more than 60), and involve lots and lots of hardware. Ten devices to start -- all announced today -- and a slew of others likely to follow.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/11/w...-launch-guide/

All the links to Engadget's extensive coverage is in this one article so it's a good place to start.

• Rep+
Reactions: Microsis

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chatch15117
View Post

oh my

Just saw joemaniaci's avatar, did you?

OT: WP7 is looking quite snappy on all of those phones. Microsoft really did make smart move setting the minimum requirements for WP7 fairly high so that we don't have a Vista-esque fiasco anymore.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I have Windows Mobile 6.1 right now on my Samsung Omnia.

You could not pay me enough money to ever buy a phone with Windows on it ever again.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg121986
View Post

You could not pay me enough money to ever buy a phone with Windows on it ever again.

different core, different kernel, different UI, completely new OS.

and i have 2 phones with custom WM6.1 roms on them and they both run fine - must be your phone, considering one of my phones is an i-mate K-JAM with the awful 200mhz TI OMAP 850, which still manages to run the OS acceptably...

try running a custom ROM, or?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
It's not the phone's ability to process that I have a problem with. It's the usability and function of the OS. It's absolute trash. Text messaging is awful, it organizes them in a way that makes no sense whatsoever. Sometimes I cannot even reply to a text message because the typing will not work. The buttons are located in areas that are hard to reach. I have run out of memory by doing literally nothing many times. The whole thing wreaks of failure and I am not convinced that anything "new" will make a difference for generally crappy design elements.

Or maybe they just copied Android?

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
I just bought a Samsung Captivate less than a week ago. Should I return it and get one of these? Which W7 phone will be the best for At&T?

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post
One that isn't on AT&T!

Wife needs iphone so that means AT&T or nothing.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post

LOL. You obviously have no idea what Windows Phone 7 is then.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Quote:

It's not the phone's ability to process that I have a problem with. It's the usability and function of the OS. It's absolute trash. Text messaging is awful, it organizes them in a way that makes no sense whatsoever. Sometimes I cannot even reply to a text message because the typing will not work. The buttons are located in areas that are hard to reach. I have run out of memory by doing literally nothing many times. The whole thing wreaks of failure and I am not convinced that anything "new" will make a difference for generally crappy design elements.

Wait. And you haven't even used 6.5, but you're basing an assumption on Windows Mobile as a whole from an extremely outdated 6.1?

I use a customised 6.5 ROM and think it's fantastic. I have also used 6.1, but only for about 2 days. Just flash it to 6.5.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom_sufc View Post
I use a customised 6.5 ROM and think it's fantastic. I have also used 6.1, but only for about 2 days. Just flash it to 6.5.
Might want to hang on to that rom then, because 6.5 has more features than 7 right now.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
It's looking pretty good. I can't wait until the release so I can go to the at&t store and fiddle. Not sure if this will get me away from Android though, mixed feelings for wp7 at the moment, as I'm sure most people feel the same way.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

i haven't had those problems.

i mean, on all 3 of my WinMo phones in their stock state, they're all able to run the OS acceptably, with no lags, or issues - i don't get memory issues by doing nothing. maybe flashing a different ROM will help, i don't know - the custom ROMs are often laps and bounds better than what ships with the phone.

as for text messaging, you mean how it's threaded, sort of like the iPhones? you can disable that. download a program called advanced config by schaps (google it on XDA-develoeprs or on google) and there's going to be a setting you can use to disable it.

other than that, that does sound phone-specific. sorry bud
. for what it's worth, once you are used to WinMo it's easy to use, but then i guess that's the same for everything and i've been using WinMo for 3 years now, so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom_sufc View Post
Will WM7 be available like it's predecessors? IE, will I eventually be able to download a custom ROM for my HTC?
likely no, due to the high requirements. only device capable would be the HD2, and even porting that isn't a given...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts