Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
ASRock has a ploy to sell more of its motherboards: Instant Boot. The BIOS update for select MoBos promises to boot XP or Vista systems 10 times faster than standard PCs -- in other words, about 3 to 4 seconds from a full shutdown. ASRock achieves this minor of miracles through manipulation of the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface that Microsoft manipulates for its sleep and hibernate modes. At the risk of oversimplification, ASRock appears to add the processing baggage to the backend of the shutdown process, essentially rebooting the OS and then dropping it into a suspended state ready to instantly pop on the next time you hit the power button. Pretty smart actually. Here's the catch: the system you're using must be limited to a single user account without any password protection -- a definite no-no for corporate environments. See what happens when Hugo and George steal Dad's camcorder after the break.
Source

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
To bad their Intel boards are just crap. Great idea though....

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanDragon
View Post

That's a no-no for ANY environment. For god's sake people, use passwords!

I don't use one on my computer. It means I can press the button, go make a coffee and it's ready to rumble when I come back

·
Registered
696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NrGx
View Post

I don't use one on my computer. It means I can press the button, go make a coffee and it's ready to rumble when I come back

AMEN TO THAT!!! coffee and early morning gaming. For me anyway.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Use any antivirus too while clicking on pop up adds and e-mails that don't follow proper sentence structure! If it says "lawlercatz fr33 iPOD", don't click on it!

What about a BIOs start up password?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NrGx
View Post

Gimme your IP address then

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Dang..this almost sounded cool, but it only works if you shut your computer off? I never turn my computer off, so this wouldn't help me if, say, power went out.

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
meh Vista has a password recovery usb thing so i don't worry.

Quote:

View Post

i don't use a password either... wonder what are your hiding in there

I'm liking this instant boot idea. I usally just hiberate my comp anyway so it takes like 20 seconds... I'll be sure to pick up an asrock mobo with wifi as well seeing since they all have it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
Not using a password (in XP at least) made it impossible to login from a different location. :>

·
Registered
668 Posts
It's not really an issue, even less so if you're in a home environment and the computer is behind a firewall.

I saw this while going to the ASRock website to grab some drivers, it's a clever idea certainly.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
I use a password to prevent my roommates from drunkenly messing with my crap.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro
View Post

It's not like you could do anything with just an IP address. I'm not a master in network security but most all common routers no matter what brand have some built in security measures to stop most of the IP attack stuff now, these aren't the Windows 98 days anymore
. I'm sure if you were savy enough you could try to do something maybe but I don't see it being in your grasp to be able to do anything too damaging with just an IP address.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiliconDoc
View Post

I think the other poster can take care of himself - but my reply was not out of line with what he said.

I suppose you're an ATI fanboy - and a bigshot over 1,000 posts- so make use of yourself - instead of ankle biting - and check this out:

http://www.centredaily.com/business/...ry/960345.html

Send it up to your masters - so they can post on it and your fanboy friends can get a thrill...

AMD Set to Release Free Software Giving Millions of ATI Radeon(TM) Owners New Way to Run Demanding Computing Tasks Faster than Ever(1)
December ATI Catalyst(TM) Driver Release Automatically Switches on ATI Stream Acceleration in ATI Radeon(TM) Graphics Cards Found in Millions of PCs To Enable Instant Benefit, Users Will Also Be Able to Download Free A

PS - Now I've got my eye on you.

Yes, I bought an X1900XT when it was superior to the 7900GT (especially in modern games), I must be a fanboy. And 1000 posts in two years - an average of what, three or four a day? Yes, I think of myself as a huge big-shot because of my absolutely massive posting habits here.

And keep your eyes wherever you want, it's a free internet.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro
View Post

My WinXP user is without a password, which username, you can guess, is "metala".
BUT, my ISP blocks 445 and 137-139. So I ask you, what will you do ? Further more, 3 days ago I uninstalled my mysql and apache servers, because I haven't used them for months.

I'm currently under Debian, but you can try...
IP: metala.ath.cx

PS. I know in the windows group policy there is an option that set if remote connections are allowed to a user if it has no password. This policy by default is set false, that means no connection with user that has no password is possible to the system from remote location.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NrGx View Post

me too. i love how from time to time it barely shows the welcome screen, before jumpting into the OS

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhsbrian View Post
It's not like you could do anything with just an IP address. I'm not a master in network security but most all common routers no matter what brand have some built in security measures to stop most of the IP attack stuff now, these aren't the Windows 98 days anymore
. I'm sure if you were savy enough you could try to do something maybe but I don't see it being in your grasp to be able to do anything too damaging with just an IP address.
Well...you couldn't start anywhere without one...

And yes you can.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by urufu_shinjiro
View Post

gimme your ip address then

So why not just put you computer in hibernate yourself?
It is kind of dumb they expect you to not have a password.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts