Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy who will sell me an Engineering Edition of the 980x.
Its $799 opposed to $999 new. But he would give me my money back if I didn't like it.

Are engineering edition cpus better/worse?
I can ask batch number if it helps.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
They're called Engineering *Samples, and they are generally VERY early steppings/batches or like the case of nVidia Engineering Samples, are extremely high quality and not even close to the retail products quality, also Engineering Sample CPUs have unlocked multipliers
Soooooooo OVERCLOCK AWAY!

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
well all the 980x have unclocked multi, and yes they are probably the nicestest cpus in most cases. The thing is that they are also binned low usually 2.4 or 2.6ghz but it doesnt mean anything, just fyi. Id also make sure you findout how much pain that cpu has taken over the years... personally if the guy hasnt oced it to hell and supercooled it id buy it in a heartbeat if i knew him.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin0822
View Post

well all the 980x have unclocked multi, and yes they are probably the nicestest cpus in most cases. The thing is that they are also binned low usually 2.4 or 2.6ghz but it doesnt mean anything, just fyi. Id also make sure you findout how much pain that cpu has taken over the years... personally if the guy hasnt oced it to hell and supercooled it id buy it in a heartbeat if i knew him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-i7-980X-Gu...ht_5856wt_1171
There ya go.

Not the guy I know.
But same price.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ah, sorry I missed that, I'm not very up-to-date on Intels toys these days, I was just speaking from general knowledge on engineering samples.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

View Post

well all the 980x have unclocked multi, and yes they are probably the nicestest cpus in most cases. The thing is that they are also binned low usually 2.4 or 2.6ghz but it doesnt mean anything, just fyi. Id also make sure you findout how much pain that cpu has taken over the years... personally if the guy hasn't oced it to hell and supercooled it id buy it in a heartbeat if i knew him.

Sorry if this is a n00b question.
What is binning?

I assume its either
a) putting the chips in the trash "bin" because they didn't meet quality standards
b) Serial number or "bin" number etched on with a laser.
c) Something else entirely

I'm assuming a...

·
Premium Member
9,378 Posts
Binning is where they take CPU's that preform better and put them in a higher "bin"

ie, the i7 970 is the same silicon as the i7 980x, but the 970's are lower binned, and didn't quite make intel spec for being 980x

• Rep+
Reactions: TurboHertz

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddxxlll
View Post

Sorry if this is a n00b question.
What is binning?

I assume its either
a) putting the chips in the trash "bin" because they didn't meet quality standards
b) Serial number or "bin" number etched on with a laser.
c) Something else entirely

I'm assuming a...

Say one batch consistently hits 3.0ghz without much effort, whereas the next batch only hits 2.5 comfortably. Batch #1 would be binned higher and thus would be used for the faster model chips.

·
Hold on to your butts!
3,213 Posts
You'll be much happier spending the money elsewhere.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
on that other thread, change your motherboard to the x58a-ud3r or ud5. Id say go with the ud5 b/c its got 16 power phases for your power hungry 6core.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts