Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

You read that right, 6Gbps. Seagate and AMD will be showing-off a prototype Barracuda hard disk drive with AMD prototype 6Gbps SATA chipset for the first time this week at the Everything Channel Xchange Conference in New Orleans. Yup, a world's first. Fortunately, the third generation SATA interface remains backward compatible with your old SATA 3Gbps and SATA 1.5Gbps disks and devices -- cables and connectors too. SATA revision 3.0 also brings enhanced power efficiency with improved Native Command Queuing for applications with heavy transactional workloads. No update to the official launch timeline was made so we'll assume that the first half of 2009 for retail devices is still in the bag. Hey, you weren't planning to purchase a new laptop or desktop before then anyway were you. Were you?

source
If repost pls let me know

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Pointless on anything but the very fastest SSD. Don't mention 15K drives, they use SCSI.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Note that those benchmarks are of the interconnect and not of a single hard drive.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
The average sustained read/write speeds of todays 3G drives are only around 50-70MB/s. The problem with hard drives today isn't bandwidth, its the spindle speeds. Modern sata 7200rpm drives don't even saturate the 150MB/s of the 1st gen sata, don't really see the point in this until they start making faster drives.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 View Post
Pointless on anything but the very fastest SSD. Don't mention 15K drives, they use SCSI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The average sustained read/write speeds of todays 3G drives are only around 50-70MB/s. The problem with hard drives today isn't bandwidth, its the spindle speeds. Modern sata 7200rpm drives don't even saturate the 150MB/s of the 1st gen sata, don't really see the point in this until they start making faster drives.

Raid 0 arrays will benefit from the extra bandwidth.

·
Banned
7,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
I just put in a RAID 1 array in my computer of some lower end drives, and I'm getting write speeds of 120MB/s!! I agree with you for sure!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

No, they won't. SATA is a point-to-point interconnect. Each individual hard drive gets a dedicated 1.5Gb/s, 3.0Gb/s, or 6.0Gb/s connection to the SATA controller already. RAID is done at the controller level and not the HD interconnect level. A RAID0 with 100MB/s hard drives will perform the same regardless of SATA speed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD+nVidia View Post
I just put in a RAID 1 array in my computer of some lower end drives, and I'm getting write speeds of 120MB/s!! I agree with you for sure!
Agreeing with falsehood.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Also, they're working on faster stuff. SSDs and such won't be out of reach forever, you know.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Quote:

Doubtful, the only arrays I've seen that have 300MB/s + of bandwidth usage are large 8+ drive arrays on a dedicated raid 5 card.

Quote:

Oh wow almost saturating the sata 1 interface bandwidth!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Quote:

yeah, but RAID1 doesn't really provide you any benefit other than data security. write speeds surely wouldn't be positively affected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Doubtful, the only arrays I've seen that have 300MB/s + of bandwidth usage are large 8+ drive arrays on a dedicated raid 5 card.
yeah, but I have seen similar-sized arrays get in the 750+MB/s area. It really depends on how well you configure the array and the hardware you use.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killnine View Post
yeah, but I have seen similar-sized arrays get in the 750+MB/s area. It really depends on how well you configure the array and the hardware you use.
I still have yet to see any motherboard based raid arrays break 300MB/s or even come close to it, thats what I was getting at.

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarryNite View Post
It about time. 3.0g has been around long enough.
yes, especially since no 7200 RPM drive can even fully saturate IDE 133MB/s.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
So what Raid COnfig would be needed to get the full speed?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormX2
View Post

So what Raid COnfig would be needed to get the full speed?

SATA is a dedicated point-to-point interconnect between a hard drive and controller.

RAID is various methods of access hard drives to gain performance and/or redundency. RAID is performed by some form of controller.

They are two different things. Excess SATA bandwidth has ZERO impact on RAID performance.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman
View Post

I still have yet to see any motherboard based raid arrays break 300MB/s or even come close to it, thats what I was getting at.

yeah, onboard RAID solutions are typically rubbish compared to quality, dedicated cards.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarryNite
View Post

It about time. 3.0g has been around long enough.

SATA2 bottlenecked my RAID array. It's out of date before it's predecessor is even here.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

SATA2 bottlenecked my RAID array. It's out of date before it's predecessor is even here.

What? No, just no. SATA 3.0Gb/s did NOT bottleneck your RAID unless your individual HDD/SDD are doing 300MB/s.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts