Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The kids over at Maximum PC have told us a sordid tale involving Core i7 processors, "extreme heat and smoke damage," and a pair of jumper cables -- we'll spare you the details -- and have come to the realization that, contrary to popular belief, the retail version of the budget-minded Core i7 920 processor (and its midrange brethren, the 940) is shipping with unlocked multipliers and memory ratios. According to some "Deep Throat"-esque shadowy figure at Intel, the company chalks it up to a "marketing decision" made after receiving "requests from some of our customers." If this is indeed the case, customers will be able to rock the fast-paced DDR3-1600 memory without shelling out big money on a Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 CPU. And that ain't the least of it -- hit the read link for plenty of talk about QPI speeds and benchmarks. You'll be glad you did.
continue reading here

source

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
nice find

·
Banned
7,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0 View Post
I dont get it.
Intel from henceforth is shipping the Core i7 920 and 940 with unlocked multipliers, due to customer request.

·
Power Squid
9,613 Posts
I know that Core i7 has been out since the end of last year, but I've been able to adjust the memory multiplier and QPI multiplier since I got my i7 920 in January. I'm confused as to why the author of the article is so surprised by this.

·
Banned
5,485 Posts

MAJOR facepalm.

This news is so old it isn't even funny. It has been well known for months now that the engineering sample Core i7 CPUs had locked memory multipliers, but the retail versions do not.

All aboard the MaximumPC failboat, next stop, FAIL!

To sum things up succinctly, Welcome to Q4 08, Maximum PC! We're so glad you could join us.

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
I was just about to say, my friends i7 is running on DDR3 1600 and has had unlocked multis since he bought it..

·
Banned
7,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz
View Post

I was just about to say, my friends i7 is running on DDR3 1600 and has had unlocked multis since he bought it..

So I wonder why Intel isn't slapping them in the black, 'Extreme Edition' boxes then.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diabolical999
View Post

So I wonder why Intel isn't slapping them in the black, 'Extreme Edition' boxes then.

No retails i7 920s have unlocked cpu clock multipliers, they won't be calling them extreme edition.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by t4ct1c47
View Post

I know that Core i7 has been out since the end of last year, but I've been able to adjust the memory multiplier and QPI multiplier since I got my i7 920 in January. I'm confused as to why the author of the article is so surprised by this.

Same here. I don't have an i7, yet I've still been aware of this for some time.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Much ado about nothing.

If i7 920's came with unlocked CPU multi's though, that would be enough to make me switch out my AMD rig. As it stands the unlocked CPU multi intel chips are still a horrendous ripoff, whilst the unlocked CPU multi AMD chips are an amazing bargain.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killerhz View Post
I have an i7 920 and my multi is 21? How can I get it higher?
Get an i7 940.

·
Iconoclast
31,544 Posts
Memory/QPI multipliers were never locked in the first place. DDR 1600, and much higher, should work for any i7 920, without issue, as long as you have your uncore clock high enough.

You still can't, and probably never will be able to, increase the CPU multiplier higher than the 20x (or 21-22 with turbo boost) that has always existed for the i920.

·
Bundling Bundler
1,881 Posts
Technically.... wouldnt the multipliers have to be unlocked to allow for any decent OC? From what I've read, the QPI bus cannot be overly adjusted by large amounts like the FSB setup on previous chipsets. Thus, OC would be depending mostly on cpu multi. There's also the fact that almost every review site has their i7 920/940's using a range of multipliers.

EDIT: nevermind.... I caught myself on that one. Referring to QPI/mem multipliers and not cpu multi. Havent really been keeping up on i7 since at this point it is way out of my price range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts