Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Yes and no,

650watts is enough, but never heard of diablotek, so it could fluctuate quite a bit. Any reviews on the PSU?

Comps

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145
View Post

Yes and no,

650watts is enough, but never heard of diablotek, so it could fluctuate quite a bit. Any reviews on the PSU?

Comps

Diabloteks are pretty bad. Im guessing its actually rated more like 550w, but not positive.

How much does a 465 need bare minimum with a cpu that draws ~ 150w (1.27v @ 3.4ghz/quad core. not sure about power draw)

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Dude, get a new psu. Diablotek's are one of(if not) the worst psu's out there. I would doubt that psu puts out 450w.

Get a new psu before you spend money on a nice video card.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Looking at the above comments,

A GTX470 will pull 550w at the wall, i'm guessing a 465 would probably pull around 500w at least, thats with an i7 920 though. You're probably going to be around the same range.

Replace the PSU with something more reliable. An Antec or a corsair would do you well, again something around the 650w.

Comps

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright then, in all honesty, what is the cheapest psu I can get that is decent quality?

I dont have any money really to spend other than on the 465, so a new psu is pushing it. Im hoping itll cost under 65$

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhudson
View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-016-_-Product

how about this one? its dirt cheap and reviews are really good

Sunbeam? Kinda sounds like junk to me. Maybe some psu experts can prove me wrong, but you got to put a little bit more money into your psu. It is a very important component in a system and one of the most overlooked ones as well.

If your trying to get a great psu for dirt cheap, check out the for sale section. There are some great deals in there.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Quote:

View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-016-_-Product

how about this one? its dirt cheap and reviews are really good

No, just, no.

seriously, you'll get the peace of mind by going with a branded PSU. You pay a little and you'll get crap. Seriously, the reason you pay more for a better PSU is when it blows up, and that sunbeam will blow up, it's less likely to take out components.

It's up to you but it's in your interest to go with the corsair or the antec. TBH, if you're going with a sunbeam, you might as well stick with what you got.

Comps

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Here is a FS thread were a guy is selling a corsair 620hx, great unit. Offer him like 75 shipped, and you've got an excellent psu for your new card

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Coolermaster do make some OK Psu's, I would use one.

There could be a reason it's been there for 2 months already

·
Overclocker
1,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemoth777
View Post

Here is a FS thread were a guy is selling a corsair 620hx, great unit. Offer him like 75 shipped, and you've got an excellent psu for your new card

^ There ya go. I'd get that without hesitation if I needed it.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Quote:

View Post

http://www.overclock.net/other-compo...shipped-2.html

probably gonna get this

its a really good one right?

I would still get the corsair I mentioned over that. The corsair has an excellent warranty and that silverstone is 2 years old, that's why it's so cheap.

EDIT: Also, the corsair is much more effecient, is modular, and will run quieter.

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemoth777
View Post

I would still get the corsair I mentioned over that. The corsair has an excellent warranty and that silverstone is 2 years old, that's why it's so cheap.

If its that old does it mean its bad?

I dont care about warranty..

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Quote:

View Post

If its that old does it mean its bad?

I dont care about warranty..

Check out the part I edited into that last post.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts