Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking for a Entry Level DSLR. I have ~ $600 which is ~ $530 before TAX here in Canada. Could spend a bit more but would probably need to buy a SD card and a Bag. What do you guys recommend. Best Camera i have used is worth $50. Keep in mind this is not a Speed to a better Camera or Future Lens. I will not be upgrading it unless i really start to like it so as far as Lens upgrades go i am not interested in that factor.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The Nikon D3100 is a quite good DSLR within your budget. There are Cannons too, but I tend to prefer Nikons over Cannons, just my opinion.

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah D3100 is what i am looking at. What kind of SD card do i need and whats a ideal Size?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Yeah D3100 is what i am looking at. What kind of SD card do i need and whats a ideal Size?
SDHC iirc, and the least you should get is a 4GB class 4 for photos, class 6 is recommended. There was a guide in the Photography section, wait let me see if I can find it.
EDIT: Sorry, can't find it, but iirc, it was a 4GB class 4 SD card for photos, and a 8GB class 6 (not sure) for videos.

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just learned that you are limited @ 10 mins in Movie Mode. I hope it does not effect me.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
If video is something you plan to do even somewhat often, go Canon. They're generally preferred when it comes to DSLR video.

·
d[ o_0 ]b
7,316 Posts
if you have your heart set on a DSLR for video either get the D3100 kit or get a Canon T2i with 18-55. honestly im not bias towards canon but when it comes to video and your price range canon is a much smarter choice. nikon has only recently made 2 DSLR cameras that have great video options and both are way out of your price range, nikon D800 and D4

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post

if you have your heart set on a DSLR for video either get the D3100 kit or get a Canon T2i with 18-55. honestly im not bias towards canon but when it comes to video and your price range canon is a much smarter choice. nikon has only recently made 2 DSLR cameras that have great video options and both are way out of your price range, nikon D800 and D4
Canon is light years ahead of Nikon on the video thing.

Canon EOS 1100D w/ 18-55 or 18-135
Canon EOS 550D w/ 18-55 or 18-135

If had that budget... i would get the 1100D w/ 18-55 + the 50 1.8 MKII. Oh and a 4 or 8 GB SD card, then whatever kind of bag i can fit the kit in... Just wrap something around it.

·
d[ o_0 ]b
7,316 Posts
canon is no longer light years ahead technically considering the nikon D800 and D4 have much better features for video than the new 5D3 and 1DX that both lack clean uncompressed HDMI out among a few other things

·
d[ o_0 ]b
7,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJX View Post

I got a T3 (1100D) with a 50mm f1.8 back in December and love it. Can't get more of a budget than that.
Here are some shots I took for reference:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drobinv/
If I had more money I would have went with an f1.4 lens. If you can't compose with your feet, keep the kit lens.
nice shots

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post

nice shots
Thanks good sir.

Thanks good sir. I don't think OP will go wrong with any modern DSLR.
The differences are pretty minimal.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Maybe you could consider the Micro 4/3 sector?

I have the Panasonic Lumix G2 at the moment and it's pretty decent, though I'm looking to swap for something else at the moment.

I've got my eyes on the Sony alpha NEX-5n at the moment, my brother has it and absolutely loves it.

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a D3100. Video was only something bonus i was looking for.

·
d[ o_0 ]b
7,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Got a D3100. Video was only something bonus i was looking for.
if video is only a bonus feature then why post in the OCN video section asking for camera advice for a photo camera. next time click on subsection up and post in the photo section, there are more active people that are much more helpful with camera advice. the video section here is rather dead and gets very little activity

1 - 15 of 15 Posts