So there's this laptop, Acer Aspire V15 Nitro, and the specs are:

i7-6700HQ
8 GB of DDR4 RAM
GTX 960m
1 TB HDD
15.6" 1080p display.
52 WH battery
Backlit keyboard

It's on a tiny sale too, for about 5% off for ~940$ exchange rates taken into account. I was thinking of grabbing one, but I don't terribly need a laptop right now, I may need one soon, though. So, is it a good deal? And, are there any new mobile chipset coming out relatively soon that are worth waiting for?

And, does anyone have a laptop like it? I looked around Google for info on ability to install an SSD into it, without taking out the HDD to no avail. Any info on that will be appreciated.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,296 Posts
I have a laptop with pretty much the same exact specs. Though I have THIS thing instead. It's a powerhouse and it's by far nothing close to an "Entry Level" gaming laptop. It'll do Fallout 4 on Ultra without AA if that matters.
biggrin.gif

That's a good price for that machine though. I know the Acer will have a better, and much brighter, screen than I have on this Dell. The keyboard should be better too. But I'm unsure of the cooling which is what I'm most concerned about. A LOT of the more recent lower end laptops have been a bit on the sub-par side when it comes to cooling, unable to handle their temps at max load, etc, and throttle. That's why I bought this thing. It can handle max load for however long and has no issues whatsoever.

Ultimately, if you can get the Acer, you won't be disappointed with it for that price.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

I have a laptop with pretty much the same exact specs. Though I have THIS thing instead. It's a powerhouse and it's by far nothing close to an "Entry Level" gaming laptop. It'll do Fallout 4 on Ultra without AA if that matters.
biggrin.gif

That's a good price for that machine though. I know the Acer will have a better, and much brighter, screen than I have on this Dell. The keyboard should be better too. But I'm unsure of the cooling which is what I'm most concerned about. A LOT of the more recent lower end laptops have been a bit on the sub-par side when it comes to cooling, unable to handle their temps at max load, etc, and throttle. That's why I bought this thing. It can handle max load for however long and has no issues whatsoever.

Ultimately, if you can get the Acer, you won't be disappointed with it for that price.
Thanks for your reply. Had no idea 960m was that good, I expected much less, I hope it fairs well in Witcher 3 and GTA V as well.

The Acer currently has the best price around here, that price would at best get you a 950m (which isn't terribly different from 960m, just clocked lower), and a 4720HQ, and no backlit keyboardm so Acer's price is great compared to others.

What I'm really on the fence about now is the lack of SSD. I'll want to put a 256 GB SSD in it, but also keep the HDD, if it's possible. unfortunately, this laptop doesn't have an optical drive, so I think I may need to exchange in the SSD for the HDD, which leaves me with too little space on the go, and a 1 TB SSD is far too expensive for me to consider now.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiladEd View Post

Thanks for your reply. Had no idea 960m was that good, I expected much less, I hope it fairs well in Witcher 3 and GTA V as well.

The Acer currently has the best price around here, that price would at best get you a 950m (which isn't terribly different from 960m, just clocked lower), and a 4720HQ, and no backlit keyboardm so Acer's price is great compared to others.

What I'm really on the fence about now is the lack of SSD. I'll want to put a 256 GB SSD in it, but also keep the HDD, if it's possible. unfortunately, this laptop doesn't have an optical drive, so I think I may need to exchange in the SSD for the HDD, which leaves me with too little space on the go, and a 1 TB SSD is far too expensive for me to consider now.
Most laptops, including that one, should have an M.2 slot for another SSD... so technically you can install one AND keep the 2.5" drive you possess now.
smile.gif
That's how mine is. ^_^

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,296 Posts
YES, confirmed! The Nitro V15 you listed does INDEED have an M.2 slot for an SSD.
biggrin.gif

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,296 Posts
Quote:

Brilliant! Thanks a lot for confirming that for me! I'll probably buy one then, just need to get the money together...
I'm assuming it's the model with the 4GB 960M? If so, that's a GREAT choice.
biggrin.gif
Plenty of games out there will eat up every MB you can give...
biggrin.gif

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,296 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, 4 GB version. I know... *looks at GTA V*
Dying Light uses 3.5GB at max details.
biggrin.gif
There are a few games that will VERY much benefit from that framebuffer.
biggrin.gif

GTA V you can probably do on High settings with no AA... but AA or FXAA or whatever is useless on a 15" 1080p screen. Everything is seamless already.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

Dying Light uses 3.5GB at max details.
biggrin.gif
There are a few games that will VERY much benefit from that framebuffer.
biggrin.gif

GTA V you can probably do on High settings with no AA... but AA or FXAA or whatever is useless on a 15" 1080p screen. Everything is seamless already.
tongue.gif
Well I don't have that game so can't comment, but yeah, 15 inches isn't large enough to have a hefty AA running on it.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,296 Posts
Quote:

Well I don't have that game so can't comment, but yeah, 15 inches isn't large enough to have a hefty AA running on it.
I mean, it's nothing to be impressed about, but the GPU runs skyrim completely maxed out with x8 MSAA... so at least it's on par with a GTX 580 in that regard. x3

Which for a GPU that draws only 50w, that's impressive.
biggrin.gif

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,296 Posts
I do not have the game. If you're curious about the GPU in question, look up the GTX 750 Ti. It's literally that same exact chip except with 4GB instead of 2GB. Great choice for any gamer.
biggrin.gif

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
i got my sig rig laptop on sale for 1400 bucks... i know 440 bucks more is a lot of money, but the immersion is much nice... just keep checking for deals or wait for black friday maybe?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

i got my sig rig laptop on sale for 1400 bucks... i know 440 bucks more is a lot of money, but the immersion is much nice... just keep checking for deals or wait for black friday maybe?
I don't live in the US, so black friday is a not an option. But I think I may wait for Polaris/Pascal launch, with the die shrink, we should get better and more efficient GPUs for laptops.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,296 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts